LOTS of leftover ham!

suziquzie

How do you use yours....... besides putting it in scalloped potatoes or mac n cheese... I want to try something new!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We can't wait to get through the one meal of ham so we can grind it up with pickles and onions, then mix with mayo for ham salad sandwiches. Pretty much the main reason we buy the ham in the first place.

My mother grinds up her leftover hardboiled eggs and puts them in there, too (very good!), but I think I'll make egg salad with those instead.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Make some ham loaf!!

Ingredients:

* 1 1/2 pounds ground smoked ham
* 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
* 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
* 3/4 cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
* 1/4 cup vinegar

Preparation:
Combine ground ham, mustard, chopped onion, parsley, oats, milk, and egg; mix well to blend and form into a loaf in a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Combine brown sugar and vinegar in a saucepan; heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour mixture over ham loaf. Bake at 350° for 60 minutes. If desired, garnish with tomato slices, spinach leaves, and hard-cooked egg slices.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Creamed Ham With Peas?

* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 cup chopped green onion
* 2 teaspoons fresh minced parsley
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1 cup milk
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1 1/2 to 2 cups diced ham
* 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed, cooked and drained
* 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper

PREPARATION:
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the green onion and minced parsley and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk and heavy cream. Stir in diced ham and cooked peas, along with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice, grits, toast, or biscuits.
Serves 4 to 6

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I loved Bilby's idea of aroncini balls stuffed with ham (on another forum) as one idea.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
In addition to the great uses the others listed you can also dice it up in small cubes and marinate it in some Asain BBQ sauce for a while. Now do so fried rice using some day old rice some peas or what ever else you want to add to it. I posted the recipe here a while back.

Constance

We can't wait to get through the one meal of ham so we can grind it up with pickles and onions, then mix with mayo for ham salad sandwiches. Pretty much the main reason we buy the ham in the first place.

My mother grinds up her leftover hardboiled eggs and puts them in there, too (very good!), but I think I'll make egg salad with those instead.

Lee

I grind up ham, hard-boiled eggs and cheddar cheese for my ham salad. I then add sweet pickle relish, Miracle Whip and a little mustard. You can add a little horseradish for zip if you wish.

Use ham scraps to season baked beans, green beans, cabbage, or any kind of greens.

Microwave chunks of cabbage with chopped onion, garlic, ham, baby carrots, a few potatoes, a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a can or two of chicken broth to make a delicious cabbage soup.

Place a piece of ham, slice of cheese and fried egg between two toasted English Muffins...It will taste lots better than McYuck's.

Make a meal of baked potatoes stuffed with diced ham, grated cheese and cooked broccoli florets.

Briefly grill slices of ham and pineapple. Place ham on toasted bun topped with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and the pineapple.

Use chopped ham as a pizza topping...put in in a fritatta, quiche or scrambled eggs...add it to a filling for a calzone...put it in a cheese ball...
add it to potato salad, pasta salad or lettuce salad...

Just use your imagination!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just had some left over steak that I used with some grilled onions, Provolone on some sliced French bread drizzled with a bit of olive oil and cooked in a Panini maker. Excellent sandwich but ham is another of my favorites for this also.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I usually slice it up and freeze it in smalll amounts for sandwiches.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Yeah, I'm going to need some of these suggestions over the next week or so, including my own.

Spiral sliced ham, smoked, pre-cooked.. the one they gave me from work.
I suspect I shall be hammed out soon .. or else I'll take it apart tomorrow and share it with the neighbours lol

2009-12-19 23-53-25.723.jpg

2009-12-19 23-53-42.019.jpg

2009-12-19 23-54-17.301.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Didn't we just have a thread on ham recipes started by Doc? For the whole ham, I mean not leftovers. Anyway, it had a great recipe for your ham Sass to make it like a Honey Baked Ham.
For us, definitely ham soup with Great Northern beans! Also, substituted on Eggs Benedict in place of the Canadian Bacon.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I think I'm going to save a little for me, Bud-- just for some sandwiches.. and give the rest to Brenda and Larry next door.
They are going through a pretty rough time right now with EVERYTHING.
Yup, that's what I'll do. :(