Around the World - 2nd Stop - CUBA!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm planning to make Arroz con Pollo with fried sweet platanos this weekend (as soon as the plantains ripen).

Is anyone else planning any Cuban dishes, or is it time we start thinking about the next stop?

I’m planning on doing a Cuban Coconut Chicken Dish or (and) a Breaded Steak Dish. Both sound awesome!

Should have at least one of these up by tomorrow night. Looks like Friday night Dinner is planned. :thumb:

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/coconutchicken.html

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/breadedsteak.html

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did a Caribbean Coconut Chicken dish that I got a recipe for from the TasteofCuba website.

I have to admit, I had a problem with this recipe.

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/coconutchicken.html

It says to brown and cook the chicken with vegetables for a total of about 12 minutes. This chicken is boneless and skinless.

It then says to bake it all for 45 minutes at 425 in the oven.

Sorry, I just can’t do that. A BS chicken breast would dry out and be crap after that. If it was bone-in, it might be pulled chicken, but boneless breast, no that would be dry and hard. It might shred at that point, if you’re lucky, but it would be horribly dry.

So I modified. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wanted a juicy, sliceable breast and not a dried out piece of pulled chicken.

Crap….maybe I missed the point of Around the World, and perhaps I should’ve tried it as written, but considering this recipe is being plastered all over the internet by everybody and his brother (it is really being c-n-p’d on hundreds of sites), I felt that perhaps this recipe was just being thrown at us via C-n-P and no one was actually cooking it or thinking about it. I could be wrong.

BUT…….Google “caribbean coconut chicken” and see what I mean. Same recipe showing up in various formats on hundreds of sites. No pics, no testimonials, just paste after paste……so I took the reins and drove a bit differently.

I browned the chicken first and then set it aside in a covered dish to keep warm.

I then proceeded with the recipe and let the veggies and coconut milk cook down (reduce) on the stove top – no oven.

After it had cooked and reduced about 15 minutes, I put the browned chicken breast back in, reduced the heat to low, and covered the skillet and let it sit 12 or so minutes to fully cook the breasts to just done.

I served the breast over rice with the coconut and pepper sauce. It was very good. The flavor was outstanding, the rice was perfect (I love rice), and the chicken was tender, juicy, and succulent. The chicken had to be sliced with a knife, but again, it was tender and juicy like a steak.

Maybe I went south on this, and perhaps this should be a pulled chicken dish, but I like the version I produced. I just couldn’t force myself to cook a BS Chicken breast for nearly an hour (12 on stove top and 45 in a 425 oven). Maybe I missed something, but I did enjoy the way my version turned out.

If someone else follows this recipe to the letter, then please let me know how your chicken was.

Cheers!

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 164
  • cc2.jpg
    cc2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 158
  • cc3.jpg
    cc3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 161
  • cc4.jpg
    cc4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 159
  • cc5.jpg
    cc5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 162
  • cc6.jpg
    cc6.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 164
  • cc7.jpg
    cc7.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 161

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
That does look good Keltin.
As for the crazy little rice, well.. LOL!!
Too funny!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That does look good Keltin.
As for the crazy little rice, well.. LOL!!
Too funny!

Thanks!

That's Ninja Rice.......as soon as I figure out how to do it, I'm making my avatar a piece of Ninja Rice! :biggrin:

Just when you thought it was safe to take a pic.......NINJA RICE STRIKES!

:yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks SS and Karen. I was hoping some would do a Cuban Sandwich. :thumb: Those look good.
I was in Panara bread last week and they now list chicken on the Cuban sandwich. :eek: I asked why they changed it and added chicken, and they said they always put chicken on it but now they added that to the menu name. Still the same great sandwich but it's named different. I 'think' ham is the other meat on it but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have a copy or similar recipe to the Panara bread Cuban sandwich?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Kudo's Keltin. That looks good too. You did have some 'wild' rice there. LOL.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What BEAUTIFUL pictures, everybody!! It all looks wonderful! Including Keltin's Ninja Rice (LOL!)

SS, I appreciate your frankness in discussing your Cuban sandwich. I feel the same way. I mean, I LIKE them, but they are nothing really special.

I'm one of those people who posts my "ehs" as well as my "OMG's" and I like seeing other NCT members give honest opinions of things that didn't work out as well as expected, or at the most, "eh".

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lee, I've never been a big fan of Cuban food. It's not bad - it's just not my favorite. To my taste, the flavors seems 'muddy'. Although I like cumin in chili, the dominance of cumin and achiote (annato) in Cuban food I think is what causes the muddiness. Bell pepper is usually the pepper of choice, which doesn't have much heat. I much prefer the hotter peppers used in the other islands. In Mexico and Asia, they usually add lime to brighten the flavors, and in Europe they frequently add lemon for the same reason. Mexico and the southern Caribbean often add cilantro to perk up a dish. But in Cuba, those balancing ingredients are usually absent. You rarely find any sweetness to balance a dish either, like you do with the fruits and coconuts of the other island cuisines. I guess I just find it rather one dimensional.

They use a lot of root vegetables, but not the ones we are used to. They tend to be very starchy and bland. Like the tostones, I am hard pressed to attribute a flavor to them. They are just a little fried thing on the plate.

And pretty much everything seems overcooked. Keltin's comments about cooking the chicken breast to death rings true.

Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I've eaten in enough Cuban restaurants that I should have acquired it by now!

But I charge on........tomorrow is arroz con pollo, the Cuban interpretation of paella. It doesn't have the chorizo or seafood that I so love in a Spanish paella. We'll see how it works with just the chicken, rice, sofrito & achiote.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, that coconut chicken looks wonderful. I think you made a wise choice in adapting the cooking time to keep the meat juicy.

How would you describe the flavors?

mhend

Looks delicious everybody! Keltin, I love the color you got on that chicken and the vegetables. Beautiful!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, that coconut chicken looks wonderful. I think you made a wise choice in adapting the cooking time to keep the meat juicy.

How would you describe the flavors?

It’s pretty good. The predominant flavor is the peppers, you can really taste them. Then there is a subtle underlying sweetness fro the coconut milk. The sauce is smooth and creamy and has a nice mouth feel. But I had to add salt as it was lacking it badly IMO. We liked it and will make it again one day.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Sass, that's easy enough! And I have all the stuff!

Be good for my WW diet, with brown rice!!

Thanks!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Beautiful dish Sass. I love the colors. Just think less rice more of the shrimp and veggies!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Karen. It was a little messy eating as I pulled the shrimps out and ate them off the tails, then spooned the rest, then dipped with the bread.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
It was a little messy eating as I pulled the shrimps out and ate them off the tails

I know that others might disagree with me on this, but I think that cooking shrimps in the shell, even if the recipe calls for it, is over-rated. I always shell and devein shrimp before I cook it, unless we're just eating boiled shrimp. Just me. Don't like to get messy.

Correction: I went back and looked at the picture - you DID cook them without the shell. I always take the tails off, as well.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I know that others might disagree with me on this, but I think that cooking shrimps in the shell, even if the recipe calls for it, is over-rated. I always shell and devein shrimp before I cook it, unless we're just eating boiled shrimp. Just me. Don't like to get messy.

Correction: I went back and looked at the picture - you DID cook them without the shell. I always take the tails off, as well.
They were shelled and deveined, but had the tails still on.
I just bit into them, then sucked the shrimp and juices off as I went.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Incredible looking dish Sass! Dang, I'm so hungry all of a sudden!! Awesome! :clap: