can I cook chicken this way?

NOlonger@DC

Banned
I opened up a bottle of Bountiful Berry salad dressing last night for our salad.
Today, I was thinking of butterflying two chicken breasts and letting them sit in a sealer bag in that dressing. When it's dinner time, can I put in pyrex and bake with nothing else? How long to bake and sides to have with?

lilylove

I don't see why you couldn't do it like that!! *welcome back by the way!!!*

I'm not sure how long to cook for though...350 for 40 minutes? Serve with steamed veggies, salad and french bread! Yummmmy!!!

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm not familliar with that dressing, but if it's too acidic it will cook the chicken and make it mushy. If it's acidic only marinate for 20-30 minutes.

Deelady

Hi there!! Welcome!!! {{{hugs}}}

I would be cautious about the sugur content in it. I do something similar with a Hawaiin fruit dressing and it can tend to burn fast on the baking dish so I always add a touch of water to the bottom of the pan, it doesnt change the flavor at all but does help in steaming the chicken a bit so its never dry on the inside as well as helping the sauce not burn before the chicken is done.

:) :)

chowhound

That's what I was thinking, too, Dee.
If I pulled a couple marinated pieces of meat out and simply set them in a pyrex dish to bake, I would expect one burnt mess to clean up.

PanchoHambre

I am not familiar with this dressing.. but if its really sweet which its name makes it sound like you may consider turning it into a glaze rather than a marinade.

you could give the breasts a quick browning then finish the in the oven spooning the glaze on as they roast... maybe reduce the dressing a bit first so its nice and thick

sides... maybe some roasted carrots and potatoes

Deelady

That's what I was thinking, too, Dee.
If I pulled a couple marinated pieces of meat out and simply set them in a pyrex dish to bake, I would expect one burnt mess to clean up.

yeah....not fun to clean.....that and terriyaki sauce!:whistling:

NOlonger@DC

Banned
I called the phone number on the Bountiful bottle for customer service.
Come to find out, it's Wish Bone brand, I didn't know that.
She and I hashed stuff over and decided to do the light brushing of the berry dressing on the chicken, let it marry for 20 minutes and reduce the rest of the bottle using a little chicken and orange juice to dilute. Drizzling it over the cooked chicken right before serving and hoping it's a glaze consistency.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Food and meat safety first

I opened up a bottle of Bountiful Berry salad dressing last night for our salad.
Today, I was thinking of butterflying two chicken breasts and letting them sit in a sealer bag in that dressing. When it's dinner time, can I put in pyrex and bake with nothing else? How long to bake and sides to have with?

i never go by "how long" method of cooking anymore

i bought a cheap digital thermometer and go by that for everything i cook

heres the chart i generally use

Fresh ground beef, veal, lamb, pork160°F 71°C
Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: medium rare 145°F 63°C
Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: medium 160°F 71°C
Beef, veal, lamb roasts, steaks, chops: well done 170° F77°C
Fresh pork roasts, steaks, chops: medium 160°F 71°C
Fresh pork roasts, steaks, chops: well done 170°F7 7°C
Ham: cooked before eating 160°F 71°C
Ham: fully cooked, to reheat 140°F 60°C
Ground chicken/turkey 165° F74°C
Whole chicken/turkey 180° F82°C
Poultry breasts, roasts170° F77°C

Last edited:

NOlonger@DC

Banned
the chicken turned out good but not great.
I'd hoped for more.
the glaze was ok, I added oj and chickken broth and soy and honey and sesame oil.
plus I did use my digital therm to check for 165 and the pan was awful to clean, you were all right

lilylove

the chicken turned out good but not great.
I'd hoped for more.
the glaze was ok, I added oj and chickken broth and soy and honey and sesame oil.
plus I did use my digital therm to check for 165 and the pan was awful to clean, you were all right

hey, for easier cleaning of burnt on yuckiness soak over night in a mixture of hotwater and dishwasher soap. It really works well.

chowhound

Only overnight? I let it sit a few days (lol)
I jjust cleaned out a saute pan that had been sitting a couple days. Easy as pie :^)

chowhound

Let's just say everybody moved along in an orderly fashion :unsure:

And yet another reason to grill your food as much as possible.

PanchoHambre

LOL! If I leave dishes in the sink my dogs do them for me... they like to empty the dish rack too... now if they would just understand that the living room floor is not where spatulas go

NOlonger@DC

Banned
Will you try it again? Maybe grill it?
I will try it again.
I bought two bottles because the flavor sounded good to me and it was new so on sale too.
Next time, I'll add more broth/water under the chicken, I'll also cook at a less temp.
The grill is a good idea.
I aslo bought Tuscan Romano Basil that I will try with maybe roasted oven potatoes.