I can make that!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
What have you 'jacked' from a restaurant? Meaning, which restaurant do you like to go to...and what have you made (better or at least, the same) at home? Has it prevented you from going back?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I was able to get the recipe for Olive Garden's Pasta E Fagioli from one of those knock-off recipe sites. I actually changed the meat from ground beef to ground Italian sweet sausage, and added a fire roasted red pepper to the mix. Mine is always a hit when I take it places or serve it here, but I still like to order it at Olive Garden, even though theirs is a bit more benign. I like OG's food, and especially their lunch specials with AYCE soup and salad.

K

Kimchee

My cooking buddy and I reversed engineered Carraba's Spicy Sausage and Lentil soup a few years back, before the recipe was available online. That was great fun!

I spent YEARS trying to duplicate a favorite restaurant's refried beans... they had FLAVOR! Finally got to purchase the recipe from a former cook, and had to laugh...
Garlic, salt and oil is all they added. It is the proportions that make the difference!

Guts

I think one of the recipes I tried to copy from a Oriental restaurant was egg drop soup, which my version came out better than theirs in my opinion. Here is my reverse engineered egg drop soup.

[FONT=&quot]EGG DROP SOUP[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot](EGG FLOWER SOUP)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SERVES 2 to 4 depending on serving size[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 cans, chicken broth (14.5 OZ / 411 grams) with fat skimmed off, if home made. Reserve ½ can to thin cornstarch

2 tablespoons, cornstarch blended with reserved chicken broth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 eggs – beaten in a cup, to be used later. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons Soy Sauce (can use Light type Soy Sauce) either or.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ teaspoon White Pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ teaspoon Sesame oil no more. This is the key ingredient..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tablespoon, scallions (green onions) - chopped or thinly sliced note here I cut my onions up in three parts bottom (white) middle (light green) Tops (the dark green)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Heat broth with Soy Sauce, Ground Ginger, White Pepper, Sesame Oil, and some Scallions (green onions) I use the white parts and some of the middle of the onion (light green). Heat until the Scallions are slightly cooked. Now add the Cornstarch that has been thinned with the Reserved ½ can to thin cornstarch. Heat the soup mixture until it comes to a boil and thickens up, stirring often. Remove from heat [/FONT][FONT=&quot] add the beaten eggs (note:) swirl the soup as to make broth move in a circular motion, but not fast ! (but so that it is circular motion moves very slow) slowly add the beaten Eggs ( the Eggs will cook in the hot soup mixture.) Serve in bowl with thin sliced scallions green onions (top parts.) You may also want to add; Tofu, torn spinach, and or top with some fried noodles ([/FONT]crisp noodles).[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Trying to re-create dishes that I've had and liked in a restaurant is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen.

I've done Ralph & Kacoo's Marinated Crab Claws, and they were just as good as in the restaurant. That probably doesn't count because I bought their cookbook and the recipe was included :mrgreen:.

I've done a knock off of Happy Family Basket that was a favorite of mine from a Szechuan restaurant. Mine was pretty good but not as good as theirs. :(

I'm sure there's more. I'll have to think.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
For me..it's the cinabon cinnamon danish! I'm working with a recipe now that is the closest thing I've come by yet.

Guts

Vera I've done Joe's sticky buns, which is a fantastic recipe. I sure would like to try your Cinnabon cinnamon danish if you care to share the recipe.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We don't eat out much. We prefer to spend the money on things for each other or the house, and the time on actually cooking. But on occasion, we get lazy and like to get pampered. We went to Olive Garden once and had the BEST potato soup. After a few tries, I've nailed it. It may not be THIER'S, but I like my version as well if not better.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916

GotGarlic

There's a good Greek restaurant near us, but my moussaka is better! A woman I used to work with was a member of a Greek Annunciation Church and I got the recipe from her church cookbook. I still go there, but I never order moussaka.

LETHAL GTS

KAKI MISONNAISE! (Baked Oysters).

Find some large oysters (the bigger the better)
Japanese mayo (Kewpie brand)
Miso paste
Sake

Depending on how many oysters and how large they are will determine how much you make.
Use a generous amount of mayo with just a bit of the miso paste (very salty).
Drizzle a dash of sake. Mix well together.
Shuck your oysters then smear the mixture over the oysters still in the half shell and bake till a nice golden brown.
Get a couple wedges of lemon and enjoy.
I have this dish almost every time I go to our favorite sushi restaurant.
I told them that I had perfected their dish and that I won't need to come back as often LOL.
They informed me of the sake that the recipe required and now it's bang on.

Attachments

• IMG00410-20101227-1738.jpg
    IMG00410-20101227-1738.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 49

Cooksie

Site Supporter
KAKI MISONNAISE! (Baked Oysters).

Find some large oysters (the bigger the better)
Japanese mayo (Kewpie brand)
Miso paste
Sake

Depending on how many oysters and how large they are will determine how much you make.
Use a generous amount of mayo with just a bit of the miso paste (very salty).
Drizzle a dash of sake. Mix well together.
Shuck your oysters then smear the mixture over the oysters still in the half shell and bake till a nice golden brown.
Get a couple wedges of lemon and enjoy.
I have this dish almost every time I go to our favorite sushi restaurant.
I told them that I had perfected their dish and that I won't need to come back as often LOL.
They informed me of the sake that the recipe required and now it's bang on.

:a1: Those are calling my name!

Mr. Green Jeans

This is my version of a Carb & Corn Chowder that is served in the Puget Sound area. We first had it after diving at the Marine park in Edmonds, WA. A great warmer upper after spending an hour in 46 degree water.

Cheesy Crab Corn Chowder 7/23/2006 Soups 4 2 TBSP EVOO
1 CUP CHOPPED CELERY
1 CUP CHOPPED ONION
1 15OZ CANS CHICKEN BROTH
3 CUPS PEELED DICED POTATOES
1 CUP FROZEN CORN
1 4 OZ. CAN DICED GREEN CHILES
2 TSP HOT SAUCE
8 OZ. VELVEETA CUBED
8 OZ. CRAB MEAT (IMITATION IS OK) FLAKED OR SHREDDED
2 CUPS MILK
1 2.5 OZ PACKAGE COUNTRY STYLE
GRAVY MIX IN A STOCK POT OVER MED HEAT SAUTEE CELERY AND ONION IN EVOO UNTIL ONIONS CLARIFY. ADD BROTH, POTATOES, CHILIS AND CORN BRING TO A BOIL AND SIMMER FOR 20 MINUTES. STIR IN CRAB AND CONTINUE TO SIMMER ANOTHER 5 MINUTES. ADD CHEESE AND HOT SAUCE CONTINUE TO STIR UNTIL MELTED.
STIR GRAVY MIX INTO MILK, POUR INTO SOUP STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
SERVE TOPPED WITH SHARP GRATED CHEDDAR CHEESE.

Deelady

Oh I LOOVE trying to recreate favs from restaurants.....some I make regularily are Red Lobsters cheddar bay biscuits.....Fried pretzel nuggets from a German place near by, Peperoni Chips,....dipping sauce from Cane's Chicken,....these doughnut holes from a Martini lounge near by (it was on their desert menu with a trio of dipping sauces) I figured out their trick and I can make them EXACT!! lol
Champ's Walnut coated chicken and their loaded chips with asigo cheese sauce.....I'm sure theres more.....LOL