Franken-Pantry XI

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well, It's Monday and time to strat the Franken-Pantry. Hope You all are Ok with us being late. I am sorry for the delay. Franken-Pantry X was fun and can be found here:

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17048

For now, we are still allowing members to post multiple times, but not in a row. See Rule #2 please.

The “Wild Card” is still in play and up for grabs if someone wants to enter it. See Rule #3 please.

The first order of business is to stock the Pantry with 10 ingredients. So each person should post an ingredient that goes into the Pantry. Once there are 10 ingredients, the Pantry is full, and cooking can commence.

And, we have a 5 item Spice Rack to fill.

The Rules

1. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are staples and considered stove-top items and are always available and need not be suggested. You are free to use those 4 items no matter what is in the Pantry.

2. You can post multiple times, but not in a row. If you post an ingredient, you have to wait until someone else posts another ingredient before you can post again. If the Spice Rack is still open, you are allowed to post multiple times to it, but again, not in a row.

3. It is possible for each Pantry (from here forward) to have a Wild Card if someone suggests it as an item. Once it has been added, that’s it; only one Wild Card per Pantry. A Wild Card is just that, a singular item you can pick of your choice. So if you’re cooking from a Pantry with a Wild Card, and there is no flour, but you really need it for your dish, then the Wild Card becomes flour for you.

The Wild Card is a singular ingredient, but can be different for each recipe/meal/entry you cook and post. So if you do meat and gravy and need flour, Wild Card = Flour for that recipe. Then a day or two later you make a quiche and you need eggs, then the Wild Card = Eggs for that particular recipe.

Note that the Wild Card is always a singular ingredient of your choice per recipe/meal that you post and enter to the Pantry. So you can't post a meal/entry with multiple Wild Cards such as saying you used a Wild Card of flour for the "Gravy Smothered Cube Steaks", and then you also used a new Wild Card of Pasta for the side dish of Grown Up Mac & Cheese in the same meal/entry. So while you did make two recipes for the meal (Meat Recipe and Side Recipe) you aren't allowed to use two Wild Cards in the same meal/entry. One Wild Card per posted recipe/entry/meal.

A Pantry will only have a Wild Card IF someone suggests it for their turn. If it is not suggested, then it does not exist in that Pantry. If you use the Wild Card, please include what the Wild Card was for you in the write up of your dish.

4. Spice Rack! There is a 5 slot Spice Rack in the Pantry. Naturally, it has to be filled. As always, members are only allowed one post per Pantry - BUT, if the Spice Rack is not full, then you can also add something to it as well. For example: Bread - Cumin. That is a Pantry entry of Bread, and a Spice Rack entry of Cumin. The first 5 members to post a spice are counted - once we have 5 spices in the rack, the Spice Rack is full.

5. About the Spice Rack - Any “spice” is acceptable as long as it is a verified product, spice, or herb. For example: McCormick’s Italian Seasoning, or Seasoned Salt, or Creole Seasoning. Those are all blends, but they are also a singular and unified product. If you mean for a blend to be included, please include Brand & Product name. While everyone may not be able to find that particular brand name, we may be able to find a store brand alternative - and that is acceptable as long as the mix is the same. Sorry - but if someone posts Italian Seasoning, then you have to use a jar of Italian Seasoning (labeled clearly on the product). You can’t deconstruct it and use fresh Basil, Oregano, and Thyme. You have to use the BLEND spice that was posted. Hopefully, we’ll all post things that others can find, but, up until now, all we had was Salt & Pepper unless specifically posted, and we’ve done exceptionally well!

6. You can post items that were posted in previous Franken-Pantries.

7. Derivatives of an item can not be used, but can be made for use. For example, if wine is listed, you can’t just use “wine vinegar”. If cream is listed, you can’t just use butter, but you can MAKE butter or vinegar if you like.

8. Once 10 items have been posted, the Pantry will be locked and recipes can be made using as many or as few of the items from the 10 in the Pantry. But, other than the 4 staples (Salt, Pepper, Water, & Oil), you can ONLY use items in the Pantry. So if flour isn't listed, then you can't use it. Same goes for spices, if Cumin or Thyme aren’t listed, then you can't use them.

9. This mysterious Pantry has a walk-in cooler, so perishables like beef, chicken, crab, fish, milk, eggs, cream, butter, etc, can be posted.

10. Entries can be “open” or “restricted”. If you post “openly” such as beef, pork, chicken, fish, shellfish, etc, all cuts are assumed available. Open entries are something of an Iron Chef category, so if multiple versions of an item exist, they will be in the Pantry. Alternatively, you CAN post restrictively such as “crab” or “steak”, but the Pantry would be more accessible if you instead posted openly such as “crustacean” or “beef” - something to think about and it’s ultimately up to you.

11. Each “open” Pantry entry is something of a category unto itself. For example, if onion is posted, then any onion will be available: red, yellow, Vidalia, Spanish, pearl, shallot, scallion, etc. Imagine the pantry as an Iron Chef type room. In the spot where potatoes (open entry) are stored, all potatoes are there, Idaho, Russet, Red, Fingerling, Dried Potato Flakes, etc. But NOT sweet potatoes as that is a different animal (in a savory sense).

12. If you mean for an item to be restrictive, then please make note of that such as “Idaho Potato (restricted)” or “Chuck Roast (restricted)”. In doing that, the entry is limited to only Idaho Potatoes and no other kind of potato, and only Chuck Roast will be available, but no other cut of beef. If you don’t specifically list “restricted” in your entry, then the entry will be assumed open if multiple variations are available.

13. There's really no time limit for cooking from a Franken-Pantry. If you get around to making something, then post what you did. A month from now, someone may bump into this thread and want to cook from this pantry, so go ahead.

14. Cooking method is entirely up to you. Grill it, bake it, steam it, boil it, microwave it, serve it raw, etc.

15. Each Franken-Pantry is a stand alone Pantry. You can revisit any previous thread and cook something in THAT Pantry, but you can not bring items from one Pantry to another.

16. It's just for fun! That is the reason each open entry includes all variations of the entry such as “potato” means all potatoes, and “beef” means all cuts of beef. While Franken-Pantry is restrictive to 10 ingredients, it still strives to be approachable while also challenging you to put your thinking cap on.

So, start posting the ingredients you want or need in this Franken-Pantry. Don’t forget that if the Spice Rack is open, you can add a spice to it!! I’ll start off, but I will not post a spice. The Spice Rack is fully open with 5 slots.

Please note that the addition of the spice rack does not nullify the staples. Salt, Pepper, Water, and Oil are always available no matter what is in the Pantry or Spice Rack.

Franken-Pantry X

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

---- Spice Rack ----

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card

---- Spice Rack ----

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card
2. chicken
3. Onions

---- Spice Rack ----
1.Lawry's Seasoning Salt.
2.Rosemary

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card
2. chicken
3. Onions
4. Beets

---- Spice Rack ----
2.Rosemary
3.Thyme

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card
2. chicken
3. Onions
4. Beets
5. Bacon
6. Pasta (Any Kind)
7. Alcohol - any kind...wine, beer, liqueur.....

---- Spice Rack ----
2.Rosemary
3.Thyme
4.Poultry Seasoning
5.Garlic Powder

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card
2. chicken
3. Onions
4. Beets
5. Bacon
6. Pasta (Any Kind)
8. Asparagus (Any form, fresh, frozen, canned)

---- Spice Rack ----
2.Rosemary
3.Thyme
4.Poultry Seasoning
5.Garlic Powder

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. Wild Card
2. chicken
3. Onions
4. Beets
5. Bacon
6. Pasta (Any Kind)
9. Cheese (Any Kind)

---- Spice Rack ----
2.Rosemary
3.Thyme
4.Poultry Seasoning
5.Garlic Powder

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It's closed! Time to cook!!! :clap:

Franken-Pantry XI

---- Staples ----
1. Water
2. Oil
3. Salt
4. Pepper

---- Pantry ----

1. *Wild Card*
2. Chicken
3. Onions
4. Beets
5. Bacon
6. Pasta (Any Kind)
7. Alcohol (any kind...wine, beer, liqueur, etc)
9. Cheese (Any Kind)
10. Beans (any kind, canned, dry, fresh, etc)

---- Spice Rack ----
1. Seasoning Salt (any brand name)
2. Rosemary
3. Thyme
4. Poultry Seasoning
5. Garlic Powder

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
-------------Pantry Extension-------------

I really like this Pantry, and I KNOW there are some good dishes in here.

The holidays are on us, and it’s just so busy now. Seems I’m not the only one affected since there aren’t any entries in this pantry. :yum:

So, let’s let this Pantry run another week. No need to create a new Pantry for the sake of creating one. This one is good, so let’s let it run another week and see if we can find time to cook from it.

I’ve got some ideas, just trying to get them all to gel! :lol:

Happy Holidays one and all!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I agree, Keltin. I have been hoping to cook from this pantry all week, but just never found the time. I'll get to it soon, I hope. Thanks.

LETHAL GTS

Holly smokes, looks like I'll be the 1st to post this time.
But I likely can't play anymore till after the holiday season.
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.
I got thinking later that maybe beets wasn't the best addition, but I did use them in the end.
Wild card-Shrimp in white wine.
Sauteed chicken with white wine
I pre cooked bacon and chopped them into bits for my cream sauce that was made primarily of Ricotta, cream cheese and the juices left over from cooking the shrimp and chicken.
I was going to add green beans, but once I opened the package, I choose to throw them in the garbarator instead.
I used fresh rosemary and dried thyme.
Seared the Asparagus in sesame oil.
Everything was seasoned with all the spices in the spice rack with the exception of the poultry seasoning.
I tried to use the beets to dye my pasta red, but that wasn't working. So I decided to use the water to color my sauce instead. It was quite tasty and doesn't look too bad either.
Oh and the Domino's Pizza box was just for shit's and giggle's. A bit of a joke between my boys and I.

Attachments

• IMG00356-20101219-1543.jpg
    IMG00356-20101219-1543.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG00358-20101219-1618.jpg
    IMG00358-20101219-1618.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG00362-20101219-1630.jpg
    IMG00362-20101219-1630.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG00365-20101219-1641.jpg
    IMG00365-20101219-1641.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG00367-20101219-1646.jpg
    IMG00367-20101219-1646.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG00392-20101219-2235.jpg
    IMG00392-20101219-2235.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 232

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That is one huge slab of bacon :wub:! I buy the thick sliced bacon, and that makes mine look puny. Your dish looks delicious....shrimp and chicken, love it.

LETHAL GTS

LOL ya that's only half of it. I sliced the other half and sent it home with my boys mother.
I almost always buy my bacon uncut, because it's cheaper, less water and I can slice it as thin or thick as possible.
But for making ABT's. The slimey packaged stuff wraps better.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
YUMMY BACON!! Don't forget to put this in the smoked piggy thread also. :a1: