Are there any IBS sufferers here?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
DH got disgusting with suffering his whole life, he's 53, and finally saw a nutritionist and she radically changed his diet.

I guess I should not have been surprised; what he was doing so far hasn't worked.

I guess the question is, what do your meals consist of? Thanks

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hmmm.......

yes. indeed.

our daughter was always a picky eater - and later told she had IBS.

what works for her is not a sure thing to work for your husband.

it would seem that the IBS afflicted individuals are (gasp) individuals and one pill fits all actually doesn't work.

there's lots of theories, lots of quacks, lots of expensive solutions.

not sure what to say - our meals consist of food - which is probably not the clue you were searching for....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Took me a minute to figure out what IBS was. In times of stress, yes. What made a big difference for me was weight loss (BTW - that seems to help so many things) and stress management. I am not real good at that. I wish there was a non med way to deal with that.

chilefarmer

I guess I am one that has trouble trying to figure out what all the letters stand for. Sometime I guess wrong or have to look them up on goggle. CF

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yep- my own is not that sort that keeps u between both being in my ladies' room way too often & its opposite, that calls 4 milk of magnesia.

i have that 1st type. found that faux sugar was my trigger food, so began to buy food/beverages w/ regular 'ol sugar. if i see synthetic or trendy 'sugars' on labels, that food is most often not ingested & replaced on its shelf. diet pop, sugarless candy/gum, even mouthwashes. i'll take a med named, 'lomotil'. that slows your guts.
look 4 foods these other items that say they're sugarless, as in some types of chocolates, refrigerated fruit cups, etcetera, yet're sugary. suffices fer me, anyhow-- & avoiding caffeine.

Last edited:

Leni

Does any particular food trigger his problem?

There is such a thing as food intolerance which is what I have. If I eat or drink anything that has citrus in it I'll be in the bathroom doubled over within 12 hours. I've also found out that I cannot eat any synthetic anything. Those flavored drinks etc are death to my insides.

It took me a while to figure this out but by keeping a record of what I ate or drank and then when the problem occurred I was able to eliminate the things that I could ingest.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yep- my own is not that sort that keeps u between both being in my ladies' room way too often & its opposite, that calls 4 milk of magnesia.

a few corrections-
look 4 subs fer foods these that say they're sugarless, as in some types of chocolates, refrigerated fruit cups, etcetera, yet're 'sugary'- they trigger my stomach. they have faux sugars often enough. i'll drain & rinse those fruit naturals & stuff. that regime suffices fer me, anyhow-- & avoiding caffeine.

-----

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I found that lactose, some fresh fruits and caffeine triggered my IBS - along with stress. As long as I can eliminate those, I'm usually ok. It just takes time to experiment with eliminating common foods from your diet to see which one might be the trigger, as it's different for all of us who have it :)

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
It's extremely complicated as the details are different for each person.

So far we are doing well with avoiding sugar, gluten, and dairy. He is starting to add more fruits back to his diet, so time will tell. We still have to avoid garlic and onions, plus a host of other innocuous sounding things.

In the meantime, I lost 8 lbs !!!