Guess that spice?

Derek

Banned
Guess the spice I'm currently producing?

515363740_k57PA-L.jpg

515363758_Y5mNB-L.jpg

515363773_MnP6Q-L.jpg

Wasabi

I do that voodoo
that I do so well.:whistling:

I recognized the chinese parsley right away because we use it often in our cooking as well as a garnish. I love the taste.

homecook

That's what I was thinking VB??

Derek what exactly are you going to do with the cilantro to make it a spice?? Inquiring minds would like to know?

Derek

Banned
Looks like cilantro....but that's an herb, not a spice.
Vera, My process turns it in to a fine powder & a nice spice that's a little something to most of the dishes you want to spice up.

That's what I was thinking VB??

Derek what exactly are you going to do with the cilantro to make it a spice?? Inquiring minds would like to know?
I can't reveal my process how I turn it into a spice but let's say it requires a coffee grinder.

FryBoy

It's a matter of definition and technical meaning. Spices and herbs are two different things, and I don't believe you can change one into the other no matter how you process them.

Here's what the USDA's National Arboretum has to say on the subject:

What is the difference between a spice and an herb?

Spices are flavorings, often of tropical origin, that are dried. Most spices come from plant fruits, as is the case for mace, nutmeg, black pepper, and cardamom. Cinnamon comes from the bark of a shrubby tree, and ginger comes from the underground rhizome of a plant. Herbs, in the culinary sense, are leaves of plants that can be used either fresh or dried to season food. In the botanical sense, an herb is any plant that does not have woody perennial stems like a tree or shrub.

In any case, I've used dried cilantro before, made by Spice Islands, and I found that it lacked the flavor of fresh, as well as the crunchy texture. In fact, it was almost tasteless. I hope you have better luck with it, Derek.

Derek

Banned
It's a matter of definition and technical meaning. Spices and herbs are two different things, and I don't believe you can change one into the other no matter how you process them.

Here's what the USDA's National Arboretum has to say on the subject:

What is the difference between a spice and an herb?

Spices are flavorings, often of tropical origin, that are dried. Most spices come from plant fruits, as is the case for mace, nutmeg, black pepper, and cardamom. Cinnamon comes from the bark of a shrubby tree, and ginger comes from the underground rhizome of a plant. Herbs, in the culinary sense, are leaves of plants that can be used either fresh or dried to season food. In the botanical sense, an herb is any plant that does not have woody perennial stems like a tree or shrub.

In any case, I've used dried cilantro before, made by Spice Islands, and I found that it lacked the flavor of fresh, as well as the crunchy texture. In fact, it was almost tasteless. I hope you have better luck with it, Derek.
Thank you for the food lesson Fryboy, I'm glad straighten it out for me, By the way flyboy dried cilantro does add a little something something to the pizza sauce I make.

FryBoy

The stuff you make, which I guess should be called a dried herb, is probably better than the store-bought stuff because it's fresher.

Anyway, what good would us old farts be if we couldn't pass on the information we've learned that hard way to you young guys? I admire your spirit and willingness to experiment. But take it from me, if you're going to keep cooking up a storm, watch your weight! It's easy to pork up, especially when the food is good (another lesson learned the hard way).

Derek

Banned
The stuff you make, which I guess should be called a dried herb, is probably better than the store-bought stuff because it's fresher.

Anyway, what good would us old farts be if we couldn't pass on the information we've learned that hard way to you young guys? I admire your spirit and willingness to experiment. But take it from me, if you're going to keep cooking up a storm, watch your weight! It's easy to pork up, especially when the food is good (another lesson learned the hard way).
Thanks for the info again, And you are correct, By the way I take a good half hour walks when I eat, and I'm planing on staying busy.

Derek

Banned
Here's the update, I will start making the Banana spice in a while.

http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/photos/516081576_ozTVR-L.jpg/img]

[img]http://drp-photography.smugmug.com/photos/516081614_CYEBs-L.jpg

516083034_5Ak3a-L.jpg

516085768_B89y4-L.jpg

Derek

Banned
According to the American Spice Trade Association a spice is "any dried plant product used primarily for seasoning purposes”.

So, technically, according to the spice masters, Derek’s powdered cilantro is indeed a spice.
Thanks Kelt, That looks like a good read in a while.

We try to be around as much as we can.
And I appreciate that, Lefty.

I know ya do hun. :wink:
Lefty does seem like a cool chap.

FryBoy

According to the American Spice Trade Association a spice is "any dried plant product used primarily for seasoning purposes”.

So, technically, according to the spice masters, Derek’s powdered cilantro is indeed a spice.

As I said, it's a matter of definition -- if we all understand a particular word to mean the same thing, communication is easier. But as the Bard said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Anyway, if something like Derek's dried, ground-up cilantro leaves is a spice, then what's an herb?

Or do you understand the terms to be interchangeable?