Dried Herbs That Aren't Worth Buying...

In my opinion & long-time experience, dried parsley, dried basil, & dried tarragon are the absolute worst on my "worthless list". I refuse to buy them, especially when all are now readily available fresh in any supermarket.

Dried parsley NEVER smells or tastes like anything - even when freshly opened; & both dried basil & dried tarragon start out with an overwhelming surreal sweetness that is nothing like their fresh counterparts, & end up smelling & tasting of nothing but dried lawn clippings. Ugh.

Except for oregano, marjoram, sage, & thyme - all of which hold up extremely well to drying - there's no excuse not to buy fresh versions of the others.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Rosemary.
Never bought it, never had a use for it, tho I did grow it in an herb garden many moons ago. It got wild and took over.
My favourites are parsley, tarragon, winter and summer savory (have to get that from the Amish market), oregano and basil.
Rarely do I buy fresh herbs.

High Cheese

Saucier
Dried woody herbs are great. The only dried herb I really prefer over fresh is oregano. But I like making herb/garlic pastes for roasts with dried herbs, they hold up better. Same for some sauce bases.

Rosemary.
Never bought it, never had a use for it, tho I did grow it in an herb garden many moons ago. It got wild and took over.

Sass, Rosemary does not - in any way, shape, or form - "take over", regardless of variety. It doesn't spread by runners or by seed. In fact, here in the U.S. - except for a few areas that strongly resemble the dry mild year-round climate of the Mediterranean, definitely not Ohip - it can be very difficult to grow at all. I'm thinking that you're thinking of an entirely different herb. Oregano perhaps? Do you have a detailed description or pic of this her that "took over"? Because Rosemary ain't it.

tropicalsavor

In my opinion & long-time experience, dried parsley, dried basil, & dried tarragon are the absolute worst on my "worthless list". I refuse to buy them, especially when all are now readily available fresh in any supermarket.

Dried parsley NEVER smells or tastes like anything - even when freshly opened; & both dried basil & dried tarragon start out with an overwhelming surreal sweetness that is nothing like their fresh counterparts, & end up smelling & tasting of nothing but dried lawn clippings. Ugh.

Except for oregano, marjoram, sage, & thyme - all of which hold up extremely well to drying - there's no excuse not to buy fresh versions of the others.

hello every body. I'm new member
i don't know much about Temperate spices & herbs plant. But in Vietnam is a tropical country, there are many spices & herb plant verry fragrant. maybe it is more fragrant when i dried it. and i put it in trade condition (no in nilon,glass jars or box) i put it in peper. The fragrant maintain more a week.
Those plants have scientific name are:
+ Mentha aquatica.L. ( water mint);
+Ocimum basilicum (Basil or sweet Basil),
+ Blumea lanceolaria,
+Elsholtzia cristata,
+ Perilla frutescens ( Perilla oil)
+Persicaria odorata
+ Anethum graveolens

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sass, Rosemary does not - in any way, shape, or form - "take over", regardless of variety.
Oh really?
Sorry you can't answer this now, but I once had a most fabulous herb/rock garden and yes it did, and yes it DOES take over.
Sprawled all over and almost 4ft tall before we eventually took it out.
So umm, there! :wave::D