Chopped

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We were watching this last night. Kinda OK, drama and suspense over done as always, sometimes seems like they are put thru more than even the Iron Chefs were to become Iron Chefs in the first place.
Makes you wonder how many of these guys might even be better...?

The stuffed Calamari caught my eye, one stuffed it with granola and red pepper and tentacles. The other just with tentacles I think. I would love to find a recipe to stuff em with their own tentacles and other tasty stuff then fry em up!

lilylove

I like Chopped but like all these cooking shows... I find that a lot of times they use ingredients that I've never heard of or can't find in my stores.

Sometimes I wish they'd use more normal items.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Kinda why I like this one. The ingredients were not as far out as other shows. In this case appetizers were Calamari, seaweed, granola, and pistachios. Not too weird. I just want to find a good stuffed fried Calamari recipe after watching them, LOL!

Ever notice how Iron Chef's have to prepare 5 courses around one secret ingredient, but these guys have to plan 1 course around 4 secret ingredients? Jeesh! Almost like they are trying to one up themselves!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Top Chef uses the more common ingredients for the most part, they usually do their shopping in Whole Foods. Not cheap but good stuff though and the one here has everything you see in the others for the most part. I never was much on stuffed calamari Mav so I can't help you much there. I do like it fried and served as an appetizer before a meal though.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I love it that way too, Joe, but in this case that is what they were doing they just took it a step further and stuffed it. Probably too ambitious for me anyway, LOL!
Some of the best we had was at a Thai restaurant in River Forest, good fried Calamari appetizer!

I haven't seen Top Chef in a long long time, so they shop for their stuff on the show at Whole Foods?

Deelady

I like the show but I DON'T like how they only put like 4 eggs in the fridge for them all to fight over, or one loaf of bread....come on now its a hard enough task to come up with a dish with those surprise ingredients in 20 mins but at least give them a decent pantry!! That to me looks like they are trying too hard for drama to be included....:mellow:

lilylove

Anyone see the new cooking show that started last week... CHOPPING BLOCK...

8 couples
1 celeb chef
1 of the couples gets voted off each week
winner will get money to open a rest. of their own.
I only caught part of it... but it seems OK... will watch again Wed. night

Deelady

hmmm I'll keep an eye out.

I do like the cooking competition shows but I really think they need some more creative writers......

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So, one of the networks has a show called Chopping Block, and FN has a show called Chopped! ??

And yes, DW and I noticed that about the pantry as well. They should stock them better that is just wrong to do that to them on top of everything else!

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
So, one of the networks has a show called Chopping Block, and FN has a show called Chopped! ??

And yes, DW and I noticed that about the pantry as well. They should stock them better that is just wrong to do that to them on top of everything else!

Have you also noticed that it's always 3 men and one woman? And that gal judge who sits in the middle, Alex I think her name is - man she's got looks that kill. I think she's the rudest person I've ever seen on FN. I enjoy watching it but I can't stand her "holier than thou" attitude :tongue:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yea, I don't like her either... the others seem to balance their opinions with "I liked this, but not this or good try but you missed the point here, etc". All I ever hear from her is "here is your list of things I didn't like about your food as I picked it apart..".

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Remember that cooking show...Ready , Set Cook!......??

We have one over here with a similar name - I think it is Ready Steady Cook, where the 2 chefs are given bags of main ingrdients and have 20 minutes to cook tghe dishes. It always amazes me that they can come up with 5 or 6 dishes in the 20 minutes.

Deelady

We have one over here with a similar name - I think it is Ready Steady Cook, where the 2 chefs are given bags of main ingrdients and have 20 minutes to cook tghe dishes. It always amazes me that they can come up with 5 or 6 dishes in the 20 minutes.

Thats exactly the show I was referring but it was "Ready Set Cook" here and I think it was in the late 90's.....at least a VERY long time ago! I was always impressed with the same thing...several dishes in 20 mins wow!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I like this show better than some of the others, I like the fact that they have several mystery ingredients that must be incorporated into one dish. Better than the other cooking competition that Guy hosts.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yea.. .I can't remember the name of it, but 4 home cooks/chefs compete and are scored. It is like those bake offs, where someone enters a recipe. They have two rounds and the highest points awarded is the winner. I like the show, but I like Chopped better.

BBC has a show called the Chopping Block... I have not seen it, but I think it is where the whole idea came from.

I like Alex, she is a grump, but I have always appreciated her views on cooking.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
She would be sexy if she didn't frown and scowl so much....

That is just not attractive to me... a girls gotta smile LOL!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, if ya'll aren't nice it ruins the whole rythme...

Girls are filled with sugar and spice and everything nice.... LOL

Course we all know what they said about us boys, so Hah! no pressure on us!

Derek

Banned
By the way I wish Sonny [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELN1BxqpjFg&feature=related[/ame]

Would be on Chopped as a judge, I would stay so glued tot he telly then....