Cooking Show Pet Peeves

Lefty

Yank
If it weren't for the Food Network, we'd be totally depressed from watching the news channels.
I still wouldn't watch the news. I only do local news and once I got my forecast I change the channel. I like cooking shows and all but some of the quirks are funny. Just something to talk about. thanks.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I hate when they don't wash their hands, use their fingers instead of a spoon to taste and double dip. I also hate when they use the same cutting board for vegetables and meats. I hate it when they don't take their jewelry off to cook, too.

Yes, Joe it offends my sensibilities that they fail to show proper hygiene on these cooking shows because they are teachers and showing and setting a very poor example for people who are learning how to cook. Some improper things they do can spread samonella around the kitchen and is dangerous to those who don't realize that.

Derek

Banned
I hate it when they use the business end of the knife to scrape a cutting board. I just saw Giada do it, but have seen it way to often by others. I use the back side of the knife so I don't dull my knife.
I do it, It doesn't hurt the knife?

Wart

Banned
I hate it when they use the business end of the knife to scrape a cutting board. I just saw Giada do it, but have seen it way to often by others. I use the back side of the knife so I don't dull my knife.

I use a pastry/bench scraper. Handier than I can say. About the only knife that won't be damaged from use as a scraper is a butter knife?

I too find bad sanitation practices on cooking shows an irritation.

Wart

Banned

Attachments

• giada_tits.jpg
    giada_tits.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 143

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just where are those hands? Certainly not near her most vital "attributes." OMG, I feel faint...the magnificence of those mountainous mammaries...certainly something to be-hold. If I told her they were voluptuous, do you think she would hold it against me?:whistle:

Biskit

Careful, Joe, you're startin' to sound like Deadly Sushi when the subject of Rachel Ray comes up.:bounce:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
After just having had food poisoning, I am really sensitive to food handling issues.

Constance

Y'all are hilarious.

I do have a pet peeve about the food network...Iron chef is great, but they are running the cake and candy competitions into the ground. It's interesting to watch something like that once in a while, but most of us don't have occasion to make a 4 foot tall cake that looks like The Little Mermaid.

Wart

Banned
After just having had food poisoning, I am really sensitive to food handling issues.

Wife brought home some chicken livers. She cooked her livers in a skillet and I was having steak or burgers from the grill. I asked her for a couple of livers to grill just to see how she liked them. She comes out and finds me probing her livers with a thermometer (temped to 170+) and busts my balls for being so anal. She thinks I take these things too far.

She really liked the grilled livers.

She spent three or four days in the hospital from the livers she cooked. Campojujunilobactor I believe (spelled wrong). A week later the Health Department called, must have questioned her for a half hour ~ forty five minutes to make sure she didn't get it from someplace other than her own cooking.

And some of you know I have since taken the ServSafe class, carry the Certificate (by now I only remember the highlights). And worked at a club that refuses to clean up it's act ....

A couple of weeks ago Hell's Kitchen had a goober wipe his face with a cruddy towel then wipe out a pan .. Gordo Busted him .. that was goobers last night.

Y'all are hilarious.

I do have a pet peeve about the food network...Iron chef is great, but they are running the cake and candy competitions into the ground. It's interesting to watch something like that once in a while, but most of us don't have occasion to make a 4 foot tall cake that looks like The Little Mermaid.

For me most of these shows are interesting only a few times. It was informative to see how htey made/make a 6' tall cake and how these cakes are decorated, don't need to see it over and over.

This is probably why I like Good Eats, Alton browns show is informative and most always a different subject.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Giada was at the Fabulous Food Show and I went to her demonstration. This was while she was pregnant. She was kind and generous and sweet. There were lots of kids and even a child in a wheelchair and she went up to all of them and gave signed copies of her latest cookbook. I was really impressed by her genuineness. She is tiny and there was a lot of large men protecting her but she was very charming in real person.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The way Bourdain eats, I wonder where he's puttng it??? Hollow leg or what???? :yum:

I like Giada well enough, but I really wish she'd stop adding that damn accent to 1 or 2 words out of every 5,000 that she speaks! She talks normal, and then hits a word and is suddenly Ricky Ricardo (yes, she is Italian, he's Spanish...but you get the idea) or something! News casters do it all the time....except when they say Chinese or Japanese words...why is that? They say "Nicaragua" with the best Banderas accent imaginable...trying to be sexy. But Chinese and Japanese? Nope! Not sexy enough??? :smile:

Derek

Banned
The way Bourdain eats, I wonder where he's puttng it??? Hollow leg or what???? :yum:

I like Giada well enough, but I really wish she'd stop adding that damn accent to 1 or 2 words out of every 5,000 that she speaks! She talks normal, and then hits a word and is suddenly Ricky Ricardo (yes, she is Italian, he's Spanish...but you get the idea) or something! News casters do it all the time....except when they say Chinese or Japanese words...why is that? They say "Nicaragua" with the best Banderas accent imaginable...trying to be sexy. But Chinese and Japanese? Nope! Not sexy enough??? :smile:
Is that the lady on Every Day Itallian?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sonny Anderson is WAY SEXIER, WAY HOTTER then she is.

And for some reason she gives off this vibe that's shes not a real Italian.

Did you spell "her" name right? I searched Google images on Sonny Anderson and this is all I got. Apparently a good soccer player? :w00t:

UDE_sonnyanderson1.jpg

Derek

Banned
I watch her most of the time, I don't like most of the new cooks on food network, they seemed to be modeled after a single cook mold.

Only a few people I will watch, Guy, Duff, Sunny, Rachael Ray, Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, And Iron chef america, Chopped, And that's pretty much it.

lilylove

...they are all too perfect...

they never spill, they never drop... they never make mistakes... I'd like to see how they fix the goof ups when they DO happen...

Derek

Banned
...they are all too perfect...

they never spill, they never drop... they never make mistakes... I'd like to see how they fix the goof ups when they DO happen...
That's why I like Paula Deen's show, She still makes mistakes, Like last weeks show she caught her oven mits on fire, I had a good chuckle.