Zuppa Toscana

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Zuppa_Toscana.jpg

I don't know why I have never tried kale, but I'm sure glad that I did because I love it. My inspiration for this was this copycat recipe which I changed a bit to suit my tastes:
http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-garden-copycat-zuppa-toscana-38298

I was expecting a thicker soup, but it wasn't thick at all. Next time I make it, I'll probably leave out the water. The flavor is fantastic.

Here's my version of Zuppa Toscana:

1 lb ground, mild, Italian sausage
2 strips thick sliced bacon, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 t garlic, chopped
32 oz Kitchen Basics chicken stock
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1 c water
4 medium russet potatoes, unpeeled, chopped into bite-size pieces
1/3 of a 16 oz bag of kale
1 c heavy cream

Brown sausage in Dutch oven, remove to paper towel lined plate, drain and blot to remove excess grease. Remove any remaining sausage grease.
Add chopped bacon and onion. Saute until onion is translucent. Add garlic. Give it a couple of minutes.
Add chicken stock, broth, water, and potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Use a potato masher and mash some of the potatoes.
Add the kale and heavy cream. Simmer until kale is cooked to your liking.

Thank you so much, from a fellow big-time Kale lover!!!

A tip if you plan to freeze some of this - leave the cream out. Only add cream to what you'll be using at that time, & freeze the rest minus cream. Otherwise, when you reheat, chances are good the cream will curdle & the soup texture will be grainy & unpleasant.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thank you so much, from a fellow big-time Kale lover!!!

A tip if you plan to freeze some of this - leave the cream out. Only add cream to what you'll be using at that time, & freeze the rest minus cream. Otherwise, when you reheat, chances are good the cream will curdle & the soup texture will be grainy & unpleasant.

Dang, why didn't I think of that! It does make a lot of soup.....next time, next time.

That looks terrific, Cooksie!

Lee

Thank you :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I have a copycat recipe like olive gardens on here somewhere. On my phone so I cant reference it.

Your recipe looks great and yup it makes lots of soup. I sometimes add panchetta to mine as well as Bacon

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
cooksie, that looks really good, greens're delicious & healthy, ah. wintery soup.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have a copycat recipe like olive gardens on here somewhere. On my phone so I cant reference it.

Your recipe looks great and yup it makes lots of soup. I sometimes add panchetta to mine as well as Bacon

Pancetta is a good idea. I'll have to try that little tweak. I was also thinking of using the same soup base, leaving out the potatoes, and adding cheese tortellini.

There is a million copycat recipes out there, so I just chose one. This one had over three hundred reviews :ohmy:, so I just started with it. Some said to use bacon bits... nixed that idea. I also went the less spicy route.

cooksie, that looks really good, greens're delicious & healthy, ah. wintery soup.

Thanks luvs!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I like the spicy so I use a.locally made hot Italian bulk sausage and a touch more dried chili's.

I nixed most of.the water and just use stock now.

I gotta find.my recipe.on here. I have tweaked it so much I enjoy it better than olive gardens. And I love their zuppa. Lol

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like the spicy so I use a.locally made hot Italian bulk sausage and a touch more dried chili's.

I nixed most of.the water and just use stock now.

I gotta find.my recipe.on here. I have tweaked it so much I enjoy it better than olive gardens. And I love their zuppa. Lol

Here you go: http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191&highlight=zuppa+toscana

I'd love to hear your tweaks. I'm always looking for improvements.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Thanks for posting the links.

What I did was cut the recipe in half. Instead of water I used chicken stock. Usually for the Ham part, I use what I have on hand, pancetta, Ham or Bacon or all. I like lots of kale so I add as much as the pot I am cooking in will hold. If I don't have a lot of half&half, I just use some whole milk, while its not as creamy it is still good.

I am a big fan of fresh parmesan cheese so each both gets a generous amount at time of serving.