First Lady to Appear on Iron Chef America.

Deelady

That would have been a bit of a conflict of interest, I think, since the White House chef was among the contestants.

It's pretty well known that, in general, the chefs for a battle receive a list of five possible secret ingredients a month or so before the show is taped; they make their menus and then find out what the ingredient actually will be right before they have to cook. So they have a head start but they still have to execute everything well and on time.

Ok I can understand that but she could have sat in and given her comments on the dishes just as the host does. I just wanted to hear her thoughts on their creations.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Told ya so. The chubby guys threw it. I have watched both of these chefs hundreds of times, and the mistakes were amateur. This was a predetermined outcome.

I agree - they would NEVER let the White House chef go back losing... :huh:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Or they cut the tape only showing the tasting. Perhaps he may have taken another spoon but then I don't know since I didn't see it happened as I was out of the room I guess. They have 1 hour to cooks so who really knows as they condense the cooking down to about 20 minutes with 20 minutes for the judging and the rest in commercials.

Nah, nah, nah, nah... I'm holding my ears, because it hasn't aired yet on the Left Coast. lol

From the link I posted (glad some folks read my links/threads) :wink:....

Speaking during a media conference call, Flay and Comerford were barred from talking about the specifics of the ingredients they chose for the TV show and about what dishes they prepared.

But Flay did let a few tidbits slip.

"The White House has [a beehive and] honey that is delicious and we absolutely used," he said. He also took advantage of a tip from Michelle Obama: "She said one ingredient that I should not pass up was the sweet potatoes; they were immense."

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I enjoyed the show but didn't much care for the selection of judges. It would have been much better with Jeffrey judging. He's not always "nice," but he always tells it like it is.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I fell asleep on the show, but luckily, I recorded it, so I can always watch it when I'm ready.

Wart

Banned
BAH!

Emeril couldn't plate a bowl of gumbo! :twak:

If there was any slanting done to the contest that's how it was done.

Maybe things would have turned out different if Emeril brought his BAM! ...

I enjoyed the show but didn't much care for the selection of judges. It would have been much better with Jeffrey judging. He's not always "nice," but he always tells it like it is.

The judges were lacking but Jeffy? Last time I saw Iron Chef with Steingarten even the co-judges had about enough of him.

OTOH, Burnt Food? WTF?

I fell asleep on the show, but luckily, I recorded it, so I can always watch it when I'm ready.

I use to laugh at those people raving about TIVO ...

Now I am one.

:sad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I taped last night's show and watched it today.

I agree with JoeV who said that the outcome was predetermined - that the White House chef would win. I knew that going in, too.

I don't think Mario and Emeril tried to throw the contest.

By the sounds of the judges' purring when they were eating Mario's and Emeril's dishes, and their comments, and their body language, they clearly preferred their food to Bobby's and the White House Chef's.

The scoring was ludicrous. No QUESTION that Mario and Emeril's creativity were superior, but their scores were way lower.

It was fixed, absolutely.

Definitely an entertaining show, nonetheless.

Lee

Wart

Banned
Sherm, be nice to Wart. He's a lefty and they studder and misspell when they get excited.

Geez, Joey, I think the word your looking for is Stutter.

:wink:

IMHO, here is no place for politics

In typical Rightie fashion you demonstrate a knowledge of the rules and even profess a belief in the rules, and then continually break the rules.

I suppose a mod could take issue with this (my) post but how could they and retain any respect from the collective membership unless they address your continual breaking of the 'no politic' rule. ?

I don't think Mario and Emeril tried to throw the contest.

I don't think they tried, I think they succeeded.

The burnt turkey wrap, the burnt veggies (?), when was the last time you saw Mario near that big of screw up. ?

I think those mistakes were made to sell the loss to the Rubes.

Definitely an entertaining show, nonetheless.

Lee

I liked the two hour format.

Usually there is a 5 minute intro, 20 minutes of commercials and 15~20 minutes of 'judging'. Leaves darn little time to show cooking. The 2 hour format allowed allot more to be shown.

High Cheese

Saucier
The burnt turkey wrap, the burnt veggies (?), when was the last time you saw Mario near that big of screw up. ?

And to follow through with plating it. I was real surprised he served that raddish. I mean, were they out of raddish at that point? lol

Shermie

Site Supporter
I noticed that Mario had burnt the scallops.

What in the hell was HE thinking?!