Taste

Dogboa

I really liked David Rosengarten's show "Taste" from way back in the FN's infancy, low budget and all. We bought one of his cookbooks and dang if his crab cake recipe isn't the best we've ever made.

Johnny West

I googled it and will give it a try. Dungeness crabs will be on soon.
I've got some cans I need to use, too.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
If you looked at the Food Network site recipe, it doesn't mention it, but you want to use something like Wonder Bread. Don't know if you are familiar with it, but the best way to describe it that I can think of is it's the marshmellow of the bread world.

Also, you have to be extremely careful when flipping these crabcakes. Due to the lack of breading, they will fall apart very easily. I either use 2 spatulas (one for top and one for bottom when flipping) or use a small plate to help flip.

Dogboa

Speaking of crab, we are very lucky to have a completely renewable crab resource here. The stone crab. Legal size claws are the only thing taken and the crab is left to regenerate new ones. The claws are cooked prior to being sold, so they are ready to eat. I buy from Grimm's Stone Crab in Everglades City. They have their own boats. The claws I buy there were in the water the day before. The sizes range from medium to large and jumbo. I always buy the mediums as they have the least amount of shell weight. Right now they are $14.00/lb. They go great with mustard sauce.

36788-albums309-picture6710.jpg

Johnny West

That's the recipe I found - any excuse for me to take a road trip to Westport for seafood.

Nelson's makes a good crab cake they sell to go. We've gotten them to eat on the beach. It's all fresh crab, not processed.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Well to talk about his other recipes, we use his recipe for moussaka. It's the best I've ever had, not greasy, not tomatoey, just right. I do peel the eggplant, since I seem to be allergic to something in the skin, but follow the recipe otherwise. We also use his recipe for corned beef, BUT, we are both getting more sensitive to salt as we get older, so we have started soaking the corned beef in some plain water for several hours before cooking to draw out some of the salt.