ground beef pie

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
because using Shepard / Cottage Pie always creates an argument, that's why...

here's one with a twist. interesting, worked, nice for a 'one-pot' change up.

ground beef and onions, s&p, brown as usual
pour off any excess fat

sprinkle on one packet of "brown" gravy mix; mix thru
(note to self - 'mushroom' would definitely work here....)

add beef stock, about a cup, to make a gravy in the pan of ground beef.
not glue, but not runny.....

into casserole

sprinkle with
- canned/frozen corn kernels
plus
- canned chopped green beans
(note: I used fresh... mistake, they remained a bit to crunchy, i.e. did not cook to soft.)

top with the usual mashed potatoes

top the top with grated parm or cheddar or both cheese

30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds a lot like how we make ours. We add a can of cream style corn to ours from the garden. One of my favorites to eat.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
because using Shepard / Cottage Pie always creates an argument, that's why...

here's one with a twist. interesting, worked, nice for a 'one-pot' change up.

ground beef and onions, s&p, brown as usual
pour off any excess fat

sprinkle on one packet of "brown" gravy mix; mix thru
(note to self - 'mushroom' would definitely work here....)

add beef stock, about a cup, to make a gravy in the pan of ground beef.
not glue, but not runny.....

into casserole

sprinkle with
- canned/frozen corn kernels
plus
- canned chopped green beans
(note: I used fresh... mistake, they remained a bit to crunchy, i.e. did not cook to soft.)

top with the usual mashed potatoes

top the top with grated parm or cheddar or both cheese

30-40 minutes in a 350F oven.

Yummmmm....I think I'm going to make this for breakfast, I'm hungry! :thankyou:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, not to be argumentive, but...

I pretty much do it the same way, only 3 things are different;

I use a can of consume, I make my own gravy from a brown roux and I use mixed veggies in place of just corn. :eating2:

Ian M.

When I was in school, one classmate came up with a spicey variation on traditional "shepherd's pie" that really knocked our socks off. He put mashed potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish, toped with a mixture of well-browned ground beef, onion - browned with the meat - and a can of Manwich or sloppy joe mixture. Then topped that with cooked peas and carrots (from a frozen package but he went ahead and cooked them before he put them into the casserole) and topped the entire affair with more mashed potatoes. Sprinkled the casserole with a mix of shredded cheddar and parmesan cheeses and baked it in a 350 degree oven for around 20 to 25 minutes until heated through. That Manwich gave the entire casserole a real "kick" and it was for the better. I noted that the Manwich works it's way from the bottom of the casserole up through and to the top "crust" where it bubbles and makes a delicious, savory, crusty top for the pie.

Ian

Shermie

Site Supporter
About 3 or 4 years ago, I made the casserole for the very first time, and it came out so good!! I can't believe that for the very first time in my life, I made something so scrumptious that I never made before!! :eating2:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I noted that the Manwich works it's way from the bottom of the casserole up through and to the top "crust" where it bubbles and makes a delicious, savory, crusty top for the pie.

Ian

Yum!

Okay, Ian, please make this and take a picture! :smile:

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a typical small one that has mixed veggies in it. Next time, I want to do it with shredded cheddar cheese on top of it! :eating2:

Attachments

• Shepherds-Pie.jpg
    Shepherds-Pie.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 307

Ian M.

Lee - As a matter of fact, that particular casserole is on our menu for either Tuesday or Thursday of this week and I'll be happy to share with you when I make it - it's so good that if I don't get a photo before we have dinner there won't be anything left to take a photo of.

Ian

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We often mix canned baked beans with ours instead of the gravy. Another twist is to mash the potatoes with some mixed herbs in them and even incorporate some of the cheese into the mash.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You can also add some half & half and some sour cream to the mashed potatoes while you're processing them.

This will help make the taters more spreadable atop the hamburg mixture and gives them that rich velvety creamy taste that you're looking for!!

Ian M.

meatloaf.jpg

meatloaf2.jpg

Okay, Lee, here you go - these are horrible photos - taken with my cell phone - of the Manwich Casserole I made tonight for dinner. As you can see, it gets a nice crust on top from the Manwich sauce. Really tasty.

Ian :clap:

Ian M.

Morning Sherm - How you digging out this moroning? We kind of got hammered up here in New Hampshire yesterday!!

The "brown stuff" on the top actually isn't brown, it's red - my cell phone camera discoloured it horribly. It's Manwich sauce which worked up through the casserole to the top and crusts on top. Good stuff!

Ian

Shermie

Site Supporter
Morning Sherm - How you digging out this moroning? We kind of got hammered up here in New Hampshire yesterday!!

The "brown stuff" on the top actually isn't brown, it's red - my cell phone camera discoloured it horribly. It's Manwich sauce which worked up through the casserole to the top and crusts on top. Good stuff!

Ian

Just cleaned the snow off my car and a friend's two vehicles. We got 18 inches of snow in Boston. So dang glad that it's over!! Even the sun is out, but still cold. A sure sign that the monster storm has left and gone out to sea!!

At least the Manwich sauce added some color to the casserole! Yeah, I use my cell cam a lot to photograph food, but it also kinda does the same thing.

I think I'll go back to using my digital camera. The pics are much better and has better resolution to them.

But I still like using the cell phone's camera, especially indoors, because it has flash, and it helps eliminate taking really crappy pics, as with cell phone cameras without flash!! :eating2: