Grilled Artichokes

GrillinFool

I'd never cooked artichokes prior to cooking these. I'd added hearts to salads, but other than that, I'd never done much with them. Over the weekend I found myself walking around the produce section at my local grocery store, letting what they had decide my side dish, and saw the artichokes and decided to give them a try. So I bought two and went home to do some research on how to grill them.

Well, then I found out why I had never done anything with them before. There's so much prep involved. I had to clip the tops of the leaves, lop the top of the whole thing off, steam for 15 minutes, slice in half, remove the choke, before they ever went on the grill. Seems like a lot of work, right? Not really. Outside of them steaming for 15 minutes, during which time I opened a beer, started the charcoal, drank some beer, etc, the prep time was less than 5 minutes.

I never cooked with them because I thought they were too much work but really, they are no more work than say prepping a couple slabs of ribs in terms of time. I'll definitely be doing artichokes again.

This recipe is about as basic as it gets, and the perfect recipe to get over any fears of them being too high maintenance.

Here are the step by step instructions. Oh, and there are a couple of pictures in that link. And here are the teaser pictures:

GA4.jpg

GA19.jpg

GA22.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Very Nice!!! I usually stuff mine and dip in the pot liquor which has salt and lemon and usually winds up with the spice flavor of the stuffing in it.