Show me your brussels sprouts recipes!

chowhound

Need I say more? :lol:

Nothing too fancy, but I don't want to remember that childhood experience of my parents thinkg they could outlast me and make me eat something that stank like cabbage. Of course, I eat a lot of things now that I didn't eat them.

Bring it on!

chowhound

Look up Guy Fieri's Brussels Sprout recipe.

The one with pancetta, pine nuts and currants? Yeah, I'll find that stuff at the town grocer... :yum:
That looked like a whole meal from the pic. I'm looking for something toned down a little more. I'll keep it in mind though for future use though.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
4 slices peppered bacon
2 lbs brussels sprouts-trimmed and halved
3/4 c chicken broth
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
3/4 c whipping cream
cracked black pepper

In skillet cook bacon over medium heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels, reserving 2 T drippings in skillet.

Add sprouts to drippings-cook and stir over medium heat 4 minutes. Add broth, salt, and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat-simmer covered, 5 minutes.
Uncover-cook 2 to 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Add cream. Cook 4 minutes more or until thickened.

Transfer sprouts to serving dish. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cracked pepper. Serves 8.

You may want to cut it down some..:ohmy::yum:

Lefty

Yank
I just like em steamed, with salt and pepper and a little rice wine vinegar drizzled over the top. That was the way I was introduced to BS in the late 80s and I still make them the same way. I should try making them a new way. :bonk:

High Cheese

Saucier
I don't want to remember that childhood experience of my parents thinkg they could outlast me and make me eat something that stank like cabbage.

The one with pancetta, pine nuts and currants? Yeah, I'll find that stuff at the town grocer... :yum:

Actually, we have made it a few times and you can find everything at your local supermarket except maybe the currants. Ever hear of Craisins? Use those or dried cranberries or cherries. They're usually with the packaged nuts. Pancetta from the deli or cheese section and the pine nuts are in the baking isle.

Makes a great side to anything grilled.

homecook

I make them a few different ways.

Steamed with salt, pepper and doused with butter.

Cut in half tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven.

Sliced, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper and pan fried til a golden brown. Tossing a few times.

CharlieD

I make a simple very basic vegetable soup, but main ingredient I use is brussel sprouts. It gives soup very distinct sweet taste. I use what ever vegies I can find in the fridge at the time. Could be anything. If you do not like the look of the sprouts, you can smoosh them with a fork or potato masher, or use blender to blend the whole soup and make a soup-pure, add a little (or a big) spoon of sour cream when serving, yum.

vyapti

I steam them for about 15 minutes, then saute them with a little margarine. They are also awesome in a Thai Curry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Printing out as I type this. Great find and I have everything. Everything but the BRs (lol). This one caught my taste buds and is how I'll fix tonight's BRs.
Thanks

Hmmm, I'm getting to know your taste buds pretty well, Fred.

After reading the suggestions re: brussels sprouts in this thread and in the dinner thread, I got to the recipe Sass posted and was going to comment, "I'm thinking you will have the best chance of liking BS with this one, Chow". Then I saw your reply.

Scary.

Lee

chowhound

Actually, we have made it a few times and you can find everything at your local supermarket except maybe the currants. Ever hear of Craisins? Use those or dried cranberries or cherries. They're usually with the packaged nuts. Pancetta from the deli or cheese section and the pine nuts are in the baking isle.

Makes a great side to anything grilled.

Nope. Struck out on all three. I not only looked, I asked. No pancetta, pine nuts or dried cranberries.
I know I've seen pine nuts at Giant Eagle in Erie though. And they probably have the other stuff as well. It's on my list.

chowhound

Hmmm, I'm getting to know your taste buds pretty well, Fred.

After reading the suggestions re: brussels sprouts in this thread and in the dinner thread, I got to the recipe Sass posted and was going to comment, "I'm thinking you will have the best chance of liking BS with this one, Chow". Then I saw your reply.

Scary.

Lee

Yep, you've got my taste buds pegged pretty good :thumb: I'm looking forward to making this.

High Cheese

Saucier
Nope. Struck out on all three. I not only looked, I asked. No pancetta, pine nuts or dried cranberries.
I know I've seen pine nuts at Giant Eagle in Erie though. And they probably have the other stuff as well. It's on my list.

How about pignoli? It's the same as pine nuts, or you could use slivered almonds, or just leave them out. I think we did that once.

Use bacon instead of pancetta. Go to Wawa or some health food store for craisins. You could probobly even use raisins.

Where are you shopping anyway? They need to update their inventory.

FryBoy

What is the steaming time on these?
No one answer as they vary in size.

I trim the stem end, pull off any wilted or damaged leaves, cut a deep X in the stem, and steam them until cooking fork easily pierces them -- but not too easily (not good mushy). This takes about 10 minutes for medium-sized ones. A little butter, S&P, and they're good to go. Great with any dish that includes a strongly flavored sauce.

BTW, avoid the very largest and smallest sprouts.

Here's some, ready to steam:

Attachments

• Brussels Sprouts.jpg
    Brussels Sprouts.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

FryBoy

If you've never seen Brussels Sprouts on the stem, they're really quite cool, like some medieval weapon or something:

brussels-sprouts.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Cook some bacon then remove it. Cut some onion into half round thin sliced and sauté in the bacon fat till tender. Now add the trimmed and halves of Brussels sprouts to the pan. Salt and Pepper to taste and if you want add a crushed clove of garlic which I like also. Just let it all sauté till tender, really and easy thing to do. This is all based on how many, how large etc the Brussels sprouts are. Crush up the bacon and spreed it over the top of the cooked sprouts.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A favourite is to grate them, and then saute with shallots. Add heavy cream, s&p and nutmeg.

chowhound

If you've never seen Brussels Sprouts on the stem, they're really quite cool, like some medieval weapon or something:

Sheeet... I've never seen them on my plate before, let alone on the stem. :lol:
Nice pic of the trimmed sprouts. I was wondering how much of the stem to take off. I may have taken off just a bit too much, as I was losing maybe 2-3 layers.

Joe, your recipe will be made with the ones I didn't use tonight. That sounds great.

FryBoy

Sheeet... I've never seen them on my plate before, let alone on the stem. :lol:
Nice pic of the trimmed sprouts. I was wondering how much of the stem to take off. I may have taken off just a bit too much, as I was losing maybe 2-3 layers.

Joe, your recipe will be made with the ones I didn't use tonight. That sounds great.
The outer layers can be pretty nasty, particularly since these things seem to be prone to insect damage. I peel off a few layers of the leaves. Usually once you've removed any loose leaves and are past the very dark green leaves and see no insect damage (which looks sort of like termite holes, and sometimes there's brown droppings), they're fine. The result should be clean and solid. You can cut out any funky spots without damaging anything but eye appeal. Also, you can cut larger sprouts in half or quarters, which helps sop up the butter. This batch in the photo was particularly clean, no insect damage, but I still peeled off the darker leaves. By the time I'm done, about half of each sprout is in the sink.

chowhound

These were smallish to begin with and maybe the diameter of a fat quarter after I took the knife to them. I had to pay attention on the grill, but man they were good.