Grilled Ham & Cheese

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
It's the height of show season for us. We are currently doing two shows (Saturday & Sunday) every weekend and still working our normal jobs. Hence, meals are a blinding series of quickies.

We don't believe that should mean that they don't taste good. We had a good one this weekend. At the Saturday show, one of the vendors was selling homemade soup. We took some home and decided that a grilled ham and cheese would go nicely with that. I was about to make the standard sandwich when I had an idea. Hope you might like it.

Makes two sandwiches.

4 slices seeded rye bread.
1/2 stick of butter (I use salted)
1 Generous pinch (about 1 1/2 Tbsp of dried basil.
1/2 - 3/4 tsp of powdered garlic.
1 pinch (1/4 tsp) of sea salt.
4 slices yellow american cheese.
4 slices of deli ham,

Put the butter and spices in a small sauce pan and under low heat, melt the butter.

Start a cast iron griddle warming on the stove. (It will need to be fairly hot).

Make a "Packet" putting two slices of ham between tow slices of cheese.

When the butter melts, stir everything up.

Take a BBQ brush and brush the butter mixture on one side of ach slice of bread.

Put two slices on the griddle, buttered side down and lay the "Packets" on those slices.

Put the other slices on top, buttered side up.

Grille to whatever degree of toasted that you like, flip the sandwich over and grill the other side.

We rated it major yummy and enjoyed it with a small bowl of home made soup.

Sorry, no pix, as i said, no time till after the last Christmas show.

Andy

For those that do not eat pork, I suggest sliced turkey as an alternative.

Johnny West

I love doing grilled ham and cheese with an obligatory bowl of tomato soup. My mom always put basil in the soup and had forgotten about that.

I see there was a big woodworking show in Puyallup yesterday. I need some new guts for a pepper mill but never made it due to football considerations.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You had me at "seeded rye", Andy!

But I love the sound of the added basil and garlic powder! Kicks up a simple sandwich to WONDERFUL!

Lee