"Whatever" Pot Pie - chicken or turkey

Ian M.

I've dubbed this "Whatever" Pot Pie because you can use just about any meat you want to - preferred, chicken or turkey, but you could also use shredded or chopped beef, pork, ham or other types of foul, too.

For Filling:

Ingredients:

2 tsp. canola oil - divided
1 cup frozen pearl onions - thawed
1 cup peeled baby carrots
10 oz. cremini mushrooms - halved
2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth - divided
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 cups chicken, turkey or meat of choice
1 cup frozen peas - thawed
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/4 tsp. salt - if using chopped ham or cut up rotisserie chicken for the pie, eliminate the salt altogether
1 tsp. dried thyme

1 pkg frozen puff pastry for crust - homemade is always better but I can't accomplish this - DW can, though and often does for this meat pie.

Directions:

To prepare filling, heat 1 tsp. oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots, cook, stirring, until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Heat the remaining 1 tsp oil in the pan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and their liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Return the onions and carrots to the pan. Add 2 cups of the broth and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup of broth, add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens. Stir in meat , peas, sour cream , salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 2 quart baking dish.

Pat out one sheet of the puff pastry to about 1/2 inch thickness or whatever you wish to have and cut pasty to sixe of top of baking dish. Place over filling, bringing up to lap over top of dish and form a nice crust. Decorate crust with cutouts if desired and crimp edges of pastry around baking dish.

Brush crust with egg wash and place baking dish on a baking sheet in 375 degree oven and bake until top is golden brown and puffed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let baking dish sit out of oven for about 10 minutes before serving. This pie is soooooooooo good. Enjoy the smell while it bakes and the taste when it's served! :readytoeat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A keeper, Ian!

Great way to use leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I usually used leftover turkey or a small chicken breast.

Amazingly, I still have yet to try making beef pot pies!! I have 4 individual mini pie plates that I like to use. :eating2: