Franken-Pantry VIII

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm sorry y'all!
this is my first week at this, and I realize I should have thought it thru a little more..............

I actually like the pie crust entry, and the onions are great. DW just bought a couple of pie crusts yesterday to make some kind of chocolate pie she has her eye, so I'll try to snag one of those for the Pantry! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, decided to jump in early as there is so much that can be done here.

Tonight I offer:

Eggs Florentine

I sautéed some spinach in a pan with some butter and set aside.

I made a Mornay sauce from butter, potato flakes, milk, and shredded cheese (Mozzarella and Cheddar mix) and set aside.

I toasted some Texas Toast (thick bread), and used a biscuit cutter to cut out a round from the center.

I then poached an egg in a large skillet of boiling water.

On the toast round I piled on the spinach, the poached egg, pepper, then the Mornay sauce.

I’ll admit something to you now……I’ve never had Eggs Florentine until tonight. And I have to say, this is DARN tasty! I love it. I’ll be making this a lot more often!!

Attachments

• ef1.jpg
    ef1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 219
  • ef2.jpg
    ef2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 261
  • ef3.jpg
    ef3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 222

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh wow, that looks SO good. You are just a damned fine cook, Keltin! Brilliant! I am looking forward to making some good meals from this FP.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I take it to mean any part of piglet...... where's the Ref ?

Last edited:

LETHAL GTS

Keltin, that looks awesome.
I'm sitting in my office right now thinking that would be perfect for my breakfast. Damn I'm getting hungry!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. What I found interesting is how good spinach and eggs go together. We even scrambled some eggs last night to see how that worked, and they were great. There is something magical about spinach with eggs that just works. We'll be eating a lot more spinach from now on. :biggrin:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Both the picture and the eggs are perfect, Keltin!

It's been pretty crazy around here the past couple of weeks so I haven't had time to play...hopefully I'll get to play this week.

Karen, maybe you could make a pie crust, give it to Jerry and then he could give it to you :yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
No, Keltin, they do not sell unbaked pie dough here - this is a culture that still makes almost everything from scratch. There are almost no "convenience" foods of any kind available, which probably explains why the people here are so healthy!

SS, if I asked Jerry to make me an unbaked pie crust, I doubt that anyone would want to eat the result. I love him to pieces, but I would also probably have to call a demolition team into the kitchen after his efforts...
Karen Is it the Pillsbury pie crust that you unroll and line a pan with that you can't get? How about in the freezer case? We can get in the freezer case foil pie pans already lined with unbaked dough and crimped ready to be baked blind or filled.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
lilbopeep said:
Karen Is it the Pillsbury pie crust that you unroll and line a pan with that you can't get? How about in the freezer case? We can get in the freezer case foil pie pans already lined with unbaked dough and crimped ready to be baked blind or filled.

Neither one, Peeps. They don't sell many American-made products here at all. If they do, I pay a premium price for them because of import duties. And this is a "make it from scratch" sort of place, for the most part. I do see empanada skins on sale from time to time - maybe those would substitute, but I can't justify buying a lower quality product than something I can make myself...does that make any sense? I'll just skip that part of it, I guess.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Keltin that looks awesome!! My girl had eggs benny florentine at the dinner once.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Neither one, Peeps. They don't sell many American-made products here at all. If they do, I pay a premium price for them because of import duties. And this is a "make it from scratch" sort of place, for the most part. I do see empanada skins on sale from time to time - maybe those would substitute, but I can't justify buying a lower quality product than something I can make myself...does that make any sense? I'll just skip that part of it, I guess.
Quite frankly I think flour SHOULD be a staple. I use flour in A LOT of meals in one way or another. And is considered a staple in most places in the world. Most people have a flour based product with EVERY meal. Whether it be raised bread (bread, rolls, dough based such as pizza or calzones or of some sort), flat bread (tortillas, wraps, pitas etc), quick breads (biscuits, muffins, fruit breads such as banana nut, cranberry), pancakes/waffles, gravies/sauces (such as brown or cheese sauce). JMO & 2 cents. HINT HINT Keltin

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Quite frankly I think flour SHOULD be a staple. I use flour in A LOT of meals in one way or another. And is considered a staple in most places in the world. Most people have a flour based product with EVERY meal. Whether it be raised bread (bread, rolls, dough based such as pizza or calzones or of some sort), flat bread (tortillas, wraps, pitas etc), quick breads (biscuits, muffins, fruit breads such as banana nut, cranberry), pancakes/waffles, gravies/sauces (such as brown or cheese sauce). JMO & 2 cents. HINT HINT Keltin

Hmmmmmm.....five spices......why not five staples?

There has to be a limit somewhere though. I mean rice is a staple in many places. So is sugar. If we don't limit our staples, then there isn't much challenge nor much thought when we pick our ingredients. Right?

And if flour had been a staple, I'd not have been challenged to use potato flakes as a thickner. It's an interesting dilema.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Cheese, onions, bacon, eggs....what more could you ask for? Wonderful-looking quiches, LT, and I'll bet they tasted delicious!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Thx, Adillo & MK !

I did make a few "first timer" errors tho'
1. I thought I had way too much filling for only one crust so I made two, expecting that ....
2. The egg Filling would "rise" and they didn't ; if anything, they shrank, causing more crust to be exposed to the oven heat directly, which caused a "drying Out" of the crust, which then made it difficult to de-Pan without crumbling.

Live and learn !

LETHAL GTS

This was my creation.
1st I trimmed my pork tenderloin and sprinkled cayenne pepper all over it.
Then I took my spinach onions parsley breadcrumbs mixture that I sauted in a pan and spread it all over the tenderloin.
Seasoned with all the spices, except Sage.
I couldn't find any sage in my spice cupboard.
I added ricotta and feta cheese and then rolled it up like Maki.
I then seared it on all sides in rosemary infused butter before I wrapped it in 1 lb of bacon.
Finally I popped it in the oven at 350o until the bacon was nice and crispy on the outside.
While this was going on, I was boiling some potatoes.
The mashed potatoes was mixed with some crispy bacon bits, sour cream, butter and ricotta cheese.
That was stuffed into mini pie crusts and baked until the pastry was done.
I must honestly say that the taste was ok. Definitely needed more salt.
I didn't want to over do it because I thought the bacon would have added more salt. Oh well, it was fun.

Attachments

• IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5035.jpg
    IMG_5035.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5037.jpg
    IMG_5037.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5041.jpg
    IMG_5041.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 189

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lethal! Brilliant use of the FP...I love the way your pork loin turned out. It must have been delicious. And your little potato pies look wonderful...great job. I still haven't cooked from this pantry, but there's always tomorrow!!!