NCT Cooks Challenge 15 Aug 9 - Aug 16 MEXICAN

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Here's our enchiladas verde con pollo - chicken enchiladas with home made salsa verde. Had some arroz Mexicana and salsa fresca along with it. Notice that the enchiladas are not baked. Mexican cooks don't bake their enchiladas - they dip them in the sauce, fill them, roll them up and spoon more sauce over the top, and serve them immediately. I think baked enchiladas must be a Tex-Mex variation. I put cotija cheese on top, and also added some shredded Oaxaca cheese to the filling. Later, we'll be having some mango ice cream for dessert. :biggrin:
That looks Yummy!! What veggies are in your rice?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looks fantastic Karen!!! How did you get your rice that color....add Tomato bouillon to the water????

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
How did you get your rice that color....add Tomato bouillon to the water????

Yep, that's exactly what I did. Tasty stuff. Peeps, I get a mix of chopped veggies from our roving veggie vendor Ricardo. It's a mix of carrots, corn, zucchini, chayote, nopales, and cabbage. I just used a little and chopped it finer and added some frozen peas. That's just about exactly the type of rice you'll be served as a side dish in restaurants here. Thanks for the kind words!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Good grief!
First of all Karen, I just adore seeing all of your food pics because they are so authentically YOU and are jam packed with deliciousness. Thanks for the lesson on enchiladas! Superb! (I'd like to know more about Cotija and oaxaca cheese?)
Very pretty, the entire dish. :)

Peepsie.. what can I say?
drool1.gif

Kimchee, I love toquitos, yours look nice and I love the sauces as well.
Were the flautas crispy? They look like they were.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Good grief!
First of all Karen, I just adore seeing all of your food pics because they are so authentically YOU and are jam packed with deliciousness. Thanks for the lesson on enchiladas! Superb! (I'd like to know more about Cotija and oaxaca cheese?)
Very pretty, the entire dish. :)

Peepsie.. what can I say?
View attachment 7952

Kimchee, I love toquitos, yours look nice and I love the sauces as well.
Were the flautas crispy? They look like they were.
Thank you Sass!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Ah gee, Sass - you're so nice. Thanks! I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow, I'll provide some more info on Oaxacan and cotija cheeses - two wonderful things about Mexico.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
VeraBlue said:
Do you have a TNT recipe for flan cake?

I've never actually seen a flan "cake" here, although that recipe looks really good, doesn't it? I'm sure you could make your own chocolate cake batter from scratch...that's what I would do also, because (like you) I don't use cake mixes. I swear I can taste the chemicals, but it may be my imagination. I do have a TNT flan recipe that tastes (to me) more like the wonderful flan I buy here, usually sitting on the counters at little tiendas (that's right, no refrigeration, and I just gobble it up and never get sick.) It's more substantial than the custardy flan you often see, because it has cream cheese in it. I've doubled this recipe and made it in a bundt cake pan to serve 20-25. I originally found it on AR, but have made a few changes. Everyone seems to like it, and the nice thing is that you can make it the day before if you are having a big dinner party, and your dessert is all done! I usually scatter a few berries around on it to make it prettier:

Creamy Caramel Flan

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup white sugar

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring, until golden. Just when you think it is never going to turn to caramel, it magically does. Don't give up. Pour into a 10 inch round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Beat in condensed and evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into caramel coated pan. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until center is just set. Cool one hour on wire rack, then chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges of pan and invert on a rimmed serving platter.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
I'd like to know more about Cotija and oaxaca cheese?

I'm sure you could get alot of info by googling, but I'll give you my own experience with these wonderful cheeses. They are white cheeses (there is no orange cheese here. None.) Both made with cows milk and they are both scrumptious, but very different. Cotija is a hard cheese, and crumbly. It's a little bit salty. It's often compared to feta, but I think it is harder than feta. It's alot like mizithra cheese - have you ever had that? We used to love to go to The Old Spaghetti Factory and get their mizithra cheese and browned butter spaghetti. My daughter uses cotija for the same thing - it's delicious. It's used for all kinds of garnishes, but almost always on beans or refried beans. Oaxaca cheese is alot like mozzarella string cheese, but it has more flavor. It's made in "ropes" that are then wound up in a ball. It's one of the preferred cheeses for quesadillas, and it's very mild. I buy it from my veggie guy, whose family makes it and it is so good.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure you could get alot of info by googling, but I'll give you my own experience with these wonderful cheeses. They are white cheeses (there is no orange cheese here. None.) Both made with cows milk and they are both scrumptious, but very different. Cotija is a hard cheese, and crumbly. It's a little bit salty. It's often compared to feta, but I think it is harder than feta. It's alot like mizithra cheese - have you ever had that? We used to love to go to The Old Spaghetti Factory and get their mizithra cheese and browned butter spaghetti. My daughter uses cotija for the same thing - it's delicious. It's used for all kinds of garnishes, but almost always on beans or refried beans. Oaxaca cheese is alot like mozzarella string cheese, but it has more flavor. It's made in "ropes" that are then wound up in a ball. It's one of the preferred cheeses for quesadillas, and it's very mild. I buy it from my veggie guy, whose family makes it and it is so good.

Yes!! thank you Karen. I'm going to Google Oaxaca cheese now.
sounds good!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Yup, Sass - that's just what it looks like. It is delicious, and I just pull off pieces and snack on it. I'm eating some RIGHT NOW.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Karen, thanks for all your educational input in this thread. I'd have given you karma but I have to spread it around first.

Thanks to all who participated in this challenge. Is it just me, or do you all notice more participation??? Thanks to everyone!

I've never actually seen a flan "cake" here, although that recipe looks really good, doesn't it? I'm sure you could make your own chocolate cake batter from scratch...that's what I would do also, because (like you) I don't use cake mixes. I swear I can taste the chemicals, but it may be my imagination. I do have a TNT flan recipe that tastes (to me) more like the wonderful flan I buy here, usually sitting on the counters at little tiendas (that's right, no refrigeration, and I just gobble it up and never get sick.) It's more substantial than the custardy flan you often see, because it has cream cheese in it. I've doubled this recipe and made it in a bundt cake pan to serve 20-25. I originally found it on AR, but have made a few changes. Everyone seems to like it, and the nice thing is that you can make it the day before if you are having a big dinner party, and your dessert is all done! I usually scatter a few berries around on it to make it prettier:

Creamy Caramel Flan

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook sugar, stirring, until golden. Just when you think it is never going to turn to caramel, it magically does. Don't give up. Pour into a 10 inch round baking dish, tilting to coat bottom and sides. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Beat in condensed and evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into caramel coated pan. Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
  4. Bake in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes, until center is just set. Cool one hour on wire rack, then chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight. To unmold, run a knife around edges of pan and invert on a rimmed serving platter.

Hi, Karen. That was me. Thank you. I really appreciate you sharing your recipe. :clap: Copied & saved.

Everyone's dishes look Fab!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
CaliforniaCook said:
Hi, Karen. That was me.
:sorry:

OOPS - got confused. Possibly a senior moment. Hope you make the flan - it is so good, and easy to make. It would be really nice served on a mango coulis with a few raspberries scattered about.

K

Kimchee

Pork Carnitas and "Mexican" Rice!
And some spicy Roasted Habanero & Polenta Guacamole!
Caliente!

Attachments

• PorkCarnitasNRice.jpg
    PorkCarnitasNRice.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 131
  • HabaneroPolentaGuac.jpg
    HabaneroPolentaGuac.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 129

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Wonderful pictures, Kimchee. Looks very authentic and delicious. The first time I described very spicy (hot) food as "caliente", the Mexican guy I was talking to almost fell over laughing. Turns out that "caliente" means sexually "hot." To describe spicy hot food, use "picante." Just a word to the wise....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This has been another good NCT Challenge. Everyone's dinners look delicious :thumb:.

Chicken Fajita - Chicken, asadero cheese, caramelized onion, and sour cream:

ChickenFajitaChickenTostadaGuacamole.jpg

Chicken Tostada - Chicken, asadero cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and guacamole:

ChickenFajitaandChickenTostadawithGuacamole.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Nice job, Cooksie - we love tostadas, and the nice thing is that you can pile whatever leftover meat you have, add some cheese and condiments and you've got a meal. We like Nortenos brand, which I also used to buy in the US. They're nice and thin and crispy. Your guacomole looks perfect, and that asadero cheese is great, isn't it?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Once again, thanks, a million thanks, to everyone who participated. Magnificent plates!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Nice job, Cooksie - we love tostadas, and the nice thing is that you can pile whatever leftover meat you have, add some cheese and condiments and you've got a meal. We like Nortenos brand, which I also used to buy in the US. They're nice and thin and crispy. Your guacomole looks perfect, and that asadero cheese is great, isn't it?

I bought that cheese with queso fundido in mind because the pkg said "spectacular melting cheese." It was good on the fajita/tostada but the flavor kind of got lost among all the other toppings. Haven't done the fundido yet.

Thanks Kimchee and MK :)