NCT Cook's Challenge Week 5 "Seasonal June" May 31-June 7

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1. (and in no particular order, either, just number 1 because someone has to be...) stuffed, filled or layered pasta.
2. Pasta (unstuffed, filled or otherwise layered)
3. Chicken
4. Duck
5. Turkey
6. Fowl (yeah, you can also do one for the previous three)
7. Fish - with scales and fins
8. Shellfish and things that live in shells
9. Something from the ocean/pond/lake/stream/river/puddle
10. Cow
11. Pig
12. Ground Cow
13. Smoked Pig
14. Eggs
15. Cream
16. Your favourite spice
17. Your favourite herb
18 Breakfast
19. Salad
20. Soup (cream or broth type, but not stew, cause..hey, we need a bigger list)
21. Stew
22. Italian
23. French
24. Middle Eastern
25. Chinese
26. Mexican
27 BBQ/Grill/Smoker
28. Pain/Bread/Manna
29. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)
30. Family Favourite
31. Dessert

http://www.promisedlandcsa.com/junetext.htm I know it's not on the already approved list....but I wanted you to have some choices for the first week in June!! Besides, when I did the random thing, it came up 'stew' and I thought..It's June, who wants stew in June??

We all talked about doing seasonal items. The first week of the month can be 'what's in season?' If you click on the link above it will give you a list of what's in season this month. Simply pick something that's on the list and run with it!!!

Good luck and Have fun!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for posting that list, Vera!!!

I've never had "scapes". Are they chive-y?

I've never had kohlrabi, either, but I know I'd like it. It's going on my shopping list!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
In my area, strawberries, greens, are done. It's now too hot.

Currently we're getting local tomatoes, corn, mangoes & blueberries. I bought some of each at the market this weekend, so I'll have to come up with a dish using one or all of those.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
"Garlic scapes contain iron, calicum and vitamin C; they are also high in carbohydrates." I guess they are out or not often for diabetics. :sad:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tonight I used the mango. Baked cod with a macadamia nut crust and fresh mango salsa.

The salsa is mango, scallions, roasted red pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 021-2.jpg
    021-2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 257

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tonight I used the mango. Baked cod with a macadamia nut crust and fresh mango salsa.

The salsa is mango, scallions, roasted red pepper, lime juice, and cilantro.
THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL PICTURES SS!! I love the bowl. I'm not big on fish but I WOULD definitely try that meal!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Strawberry Short Cake in Black & White

strawberry_shortcake_060210_P1050794.JPG

strawberry_shortcake_060210_P1050795.JPG

Sugar free sponge dessert cup, sliced strawberries and whipped cream.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of potatoes……DW peels them the “old school” way with a knife. I use a peeler. When she uses the knife (drawing it inward toward her hand), she cuts 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick pieces of skin and meat. Usually, we just toss them. But the other night I got a whim and said HEY - Let’s fry them. So here are Fried Tater Skins via DW’s tater peeling. Used Sour Cream with Chives for dipping. Ketchup (not shown) was also great.

Pot1.jpg

Pot2.jpg

Pot3.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, I'll have a double serving please!

Followed by desert from Peeps!

Congrats to both of you - they both look wonderful!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Here in Little Ferry, the only things that are in season is cardboard, packing tape, newspaper, dust and decaying bug carcass.

Peeps, the strawberry shortcake is precisely the kind I grew up with as a kid. That little sponge cake with reddi-whip and cut strawberries was a summer staple.

Keltin, the potatoes, all of them, look wonderful. For some reason, your dip looks like yogurt instead of sour cream. Was/is it low fat sour cream?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here in Little Ferry, the only things that are in season is cardboard, packing tape, newspaper, dust and decaying bug carcass.

Peeps, the strawberry shortcake is precisely the kind I grew up with as a kid. That little sponge cake with reddi-whip and cut strawberries was a summer staple.

Keltin, the potatoes, all of them, look wonderful. For some reason, your dip looks like yogurt instead of sour cream. Was/is it low fat sour cream?

Since you brought it up, I went and looked. It's actually Light Sour Cream. :shock:

DW bought it, and I actually had no idea it was Light! Guess she wasn't paying attention when she grabbed it. Hmph, I thought it tasted a little "light" for Sour Cream. :lol:

Meme4251

Awesome looking fries Keltin...Perfectly fried and can taste already w/a dip of ketsup...Yummy....

Peepsie, your shortcake puts the "icing on the cake" as usual....I also remember growing up w/the shortcakes being around our house quite often....especially in season and my grandmother always had a big garden and she could grow some beautiful strawberries.......

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you everyone

(I have to protect my black dishes from Keltin :shock: My mission is to check out every dollar store from here to florida for odd shaped and/or colored dishes.)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Since you brought it up, I went and looked. It's actually Light Sour Cream. :shock:

DW bought it, and I actually had no idea it was Light! Guess she wasn't paying attention when she grabbed it. Hmph, I thought it tasted a little "light" for Sour Cream. :lol:
Gimme that blue bowl!! :wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All beautiful dishes (and by that, I'm referring to the FOOD, not the bowls! LOL!), you guys!

I would be thrilled to have a meal of SS's nut-encrusted fish and Keltin's fries with Peep's strawberry shortcake for dessert!

Nice job!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
All beautiful dishes (and by that, I'm referring to the FOOD, not the bowls! LOL!), you guys!

I would be thrilled to have a meal of SS's nut-encrusted fish and Keltin's fries with Peep's strawberry shortcake for dessert!

Nice job!

Lee
thank you Lee.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We're getting some nice corn, so I made Old Fashioned Creamed Corn from LT's recipe http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5804. We loved it! I did leave out the turmeric because I didn't have any, and I only made one-half of the recipe. The fresh rosemary added a nice flavor. We will be doing this one again, and again, and again :D.

Scraping---messy, messy, messy---I'm sure I have a bundt pan (as suggested in the recipe), but finding it would have taken more time than the whole scraping process.

IMG_2169.jpg

Added the corn and pulp to the skillet with the onion/butter:

IMG_2180.jpg

No pic's after the cream was added. We had it with mustard crusted pork tenderloin and asparagus:

IMG_2187.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, the corn is wonderful..but that pork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect presentation!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:mrgreen: The mustard crust topping was great on the lamb, so we figured it would be good on a pork tenderloin too. It was!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Yesterday at work, I couldn't see the pics. WOW! That pork steals the show. The corn looks like a perfect accompaniment.

:applause: