Monthly Theme - February 2010: Take Out Food

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
February 2010, Monthly Theme: Take Out Food

Ok, as was talked about before, today starts the first day of the monthly theme. For February, the theme is Take Out food.

Take Out food isn’t just “fast food” since fast food implies nothing more then McD’s or Burger King. On the contrary, Take Out food is any food that you would normally order to take away. It can be anything from an Hors d'oeuvre such as Jalapeno Poppers from Chili’s, to Pizza or Sub Sandwiches, Fried Chicken, Hot Dogs, Burgers, or Fries.

Got a favorite way to reproduce a Big Mac, a Blooming Onion, Hush Puppy, Sesame Chicken, All American Burger? Then post it here.

This challenge will run from today to the last day of the month. If you make anything that qualifies during that period, then please post the recipe. You don’t have to post a picture, but pictures are certainly welcome. The only real stipulation is that you must have made the recipe that you post during the month of February. Please don’t post any recipe that you haven’t actually cooked this month or “plan” to cook later this month. Only post “done deals”.

Ok, that’s it. Pretty simple. If you want to make something special for the challenge, then do so. If your nightly dinner happens to fit the theme, then post it. Now, lets get underway with February: Take Out Food!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have just the thing to make for this challenge (with the help of JoeV - thanks, Joe!)

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Quick and Easy Orange Chicken

IMG_0950.jpg

Recipe Link:
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=168885#post168885

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Pizza Two Ways - Italian Sausage and Veggie

I used the same dough recipe as before when I made Mediterranean Pizza:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9068

Italian Sausage - Traditional red sauce, Italian sausage, and mozarella:

IMG_1109.jpg

Veggie - Pesto, fresh tomato, red onion, black olives, artichoke hearts, and mozarella (shown here before it went back into the oven for the second time):

veggiepizza.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s my rendition of the Philly Cheese Steak. I used New York Strip steak, green bell pepper, yellow onion, crimini mushrooms (Baby Bellas), and provolone cheese.

Trim the steak of fat, then wrap in saran wrap and stick in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. This causes it to firm up and makes it very easy to cut thin slices.

Now slice the meat across the grain and on a bias as thinly as possible. With a sharp knife, just push through the meat in one single and fluid movement. If you are sawing the meat, you’ll need a sharper knife.

Take the steak shavings and place them in a covered bowl with olive oil, onion powder, and garlic powder. Shake vigorously to coat, and then store in the fridge till ready.

Chop the bell pepper, onion, and shrooms (I used sliced shrooms, so one less step if you go that route).

In a 10” skillet, add some olive oil and sauté the bell pepper, onion and shrooms over medium high heat, covered, until soft and most of the moisture has been given up.

Push the veggies to the side and then turn the heat to high. Now add the meat and sauté quickly till just medium rare, about 2 minutes.

Mix everything together in the skillet and form it into a rectangle that will fit your hoagie bun. Now top with 2 slices of provolone cheese, cover, and remove from heat. The residual heat in the pan will melt the cheese.

As the cheese is melting, slice your hoagie bun in half. Now use two spatulas to transfer the meat mixture to your bun. Top with bun top and serve with fries or chips, and a dipping sauce if desired.

Step_1-106.jpg

Step_2-104.jpg

Step_3-96.jpg

Step_4-89.jpg

Step_5-79.jpg

Step_6-70.jpg

Step_7-55.jpg

Step_8-42.jpg

Step_9-36.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a day late, but I made Auntie Annie's soft pretzels tonight for the Take Out Food challenge.

They came out a LOT better this time than they did the first time! I'm getting the hang of rolling!

Lee

pretzelsbefore.jpg

Ready for the oven

pretzelscooked.jpg

Out of the oven, brushed with melted butter and some topped with salt, some with cinnamon sugar

pretzelscloseup.jpg

Salted ones are my favorites!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm a day late, but I made Auntie Annie's soft pretzels tonight for the Take Out Food challenge.

They came out a LOT better this time than they did the first time! I'm getting the hang of rolling!

Lee

pretzelsbefore.jpg

Ready for the oven

pretzelscooked.jpg

Out of the oven, brushed with melted butter and some topped with salt, some with cinnamon sugar

pretzelscloseup.jpg

Salted ones are my favorites!
oh yummy!! did you post a recipe?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, I am loving those pretzels.
Reminds me of Hot Sam's we used to get at the mall.
I can get fresh baked pretzels now at a drive-thru here in town.
They either come with a gorgeous tomato dipping sauce, or covered in cinnamon and sugar.
2 for $2! lol