NCT's Iron Chef 20: Battle Soup

Blues Man

Here is the soup that I make when I only have a few minutes.

1 package of Ramen Chicken Soup

Make soup per the package and add the seasoning pack. Beat one egg and drizzle on the soup.

Mix together the following in your soup bowl:

2 tsp black vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp chili oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Pour the noodle soup into the soup bowl and gently mix together.

100_0823.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
All the soups look so lovely :)
Mama, your potato soup makes me weak in the knees just looking at it.
Blues, I am going to have to purchase some ramen, and think I'd know where to find some black vinegar. :D

Good stuff!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I don't make many soups. Since we don't get cold weather, soup just isn't that appealing. But when I was living in North Carolina last year, I made soup a couple of times. Since the rules seem to have relaxed a bit about posting things we've made before, I'll offer up my Potato Leek Soup and I'll replay the chicken soup you've already seen.

Sorry there's no recipe, I just saute some leeks, add potatoes and water. When tender, use the stick blender to partially puree it. A bit of cream and some seasonings - that's it.

Attachments

• potato leek and fred.jpg
    potato leek and fred.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 191
  • potato Leek soup.jpg
    potato Leek soup.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 182
  • chicken soup (9).jpg
    chicken soup (9).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 183

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A Pinch Hitter!!!!!

If you remember, I mentioned that I had to work yesterday, Saturday. Dinner party for 200 kept me late all week and yesterday till 10pm. Lou knew it was battle soup. He knew I wouldn't be able to get a submission to the challenge this week so.......Lou was the pinch hitter. Below you'll find Lou's red shrimp chowder with corn! I came home exhausted to a home with a wonderful aroma, a glass of wine and a foot massage that eventually put me to sleep.

Lou's Red Shrimp Chowder with Corn
CCM069.jpg

In the bowl with a huge chunk of ciabatta bread at the bottom
CCM071.jpg

With more broth, and garnished with fresh basil and crisp bacon
CCM072.jpg

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
My entry - Daddy's special lunch soup
PICT0858.JPGPICT0859.JPG

Recipe

Fry some sliced onions and garlic. Make a roux and dilute. Add whaever is to hand - in this case some leftover pheasant casserole, dried broth mix (lentils etc), julienned carrots, a ham bone and some overgrown baby sweetcorn - the last two are removed before serving. Season with thyme and a litle chilli, salt & pepper.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Ok, here we go. I've been slacking on IC, but I'm coming back strong! My soup is called Ciorba de Pui. This a a Romanian sour soup with chicken.

You'll notice from the ingredients that this is a real "poor man's" soup. The flavors come from fresh ingredients like chicken, onion, garlic, and celery, and from ingredients using very old methods of preservation like kraut and sour cream.

The soup is only lightly sour, but more kraut juice can be added if you like, or lemon juice can be used. Romanians use borș which is a fermented grain, but kraut juice works well.

The ingredients are very loosely measured, and can easily be adjusted.

Ingredients:

5-6 Drumsticks or thighs, washed
2 cup Water or more to cover
2 stalks Celery, chopped
1 Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 t Celery seed
2 T Butter
2 T Flour
1/2 cup Sauer kraut juice
S&P to taste

In a large sauce pan add chicken, celery, onion, garlic, celery seed, and water to cover. Simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Near the end of the previous step, melt butter in a pan, add flour, and cook until it browns just a little, add 1 cup of cold water, and stir until smooth. Stir flour mixture and kraut juice into soup. Serve in a bowl with a piece of chicken, and 2 T sour cream.

img0410.jpg

img0411.jpg

img0414b.jpg

GotGarlic

When we were in Germany, we had lunch at a restaurant in Potsdam, where I had this wonderful potato and sausage soup. Yesterday was rainy and cool, so it was a perfect day for soup - and just happened to coincide with the Iron Chef theme! So here it is:

German Potato and Sausage Soup

5 pounds potatoes peeled and diced to 1/2-inch pieces
6 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large white onion, peeled and diced
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
3 pounds Polish kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground

Place potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in a large pot; add water to cover by about one inch. Add 1 tsp. salt, then cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Add enough water to a frying pan to cover the bottom; add sausage, turn heat to medium, and cook till the water evaporates and the sausage browns a bit. When browned, remove sausage to a cutting board and cut each piece in half; add to soup.

Add parsley, black pepper, red pepper, remaining salt and garlic. Cover and continue cooking on low heat for 2 hours. Serve.

Attachments

• german-potato-sausage-soup.jpg
    german-potato-sausage-soup.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 155

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Oh s***! I seem to have missed the cutoff time. I made a bouillabaisse tonight for dinner.

A lite late, but here it is.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh s***! I seem to have missed the cutoff time. I made a bouillabaisse tonight for dinner.

A lite late, but here it is.

WOW! That is gorgeous! Incredible! I'm trying to see if we can get it added to the Results thread, so hang in there. Very nice!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Gee thanks! I even managed to type up a recipe this time.

You have got such a knack for plating and photography. Your plating is always 5-Star, and your pics are always perfectly lit with great contrast, focus, and depth. You’ve got a real talent for this! Great job! :thumb: