NCT's Iron Chef 16: Battle Quesadillas

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For Iron Chef 16, the secret ingredient is……..

Quesadillas

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulation is that you must make a Quesadilla in some way.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let Battle Quesadillas begin!

2vbtthh.jpg

Meme4251

man, my son and I fixed beef and chicken quesadilla's yesterday. They turned out delicious if I can say. Have so much meat that I will be freezing the left over meat today in zip bags for later use. Also, always forget about getting batteries for my camera which I had to go to Walmart for olive oil yesterday and yes, forgot the batteries again. I am so use to just running in and running out because it is always so busy. Am excited to see how others do theirs this week. Was a good pick!

vyapti

A quesadilla is basically some sort of filling sammiched between two tortillas, then baked or pan fried.

chowhound

Ok for us foreigners - what is a quesidilla?

Maybe you can find them in a bag like your ribs :thumb:

:yum:
Just kidding, Ray, but that's how I would have to make them.

Are those the things you make in the lasagna pan, Barb? With like a hundred ingredients?

homecook

Ok for us foreigners - what is a quesidilla?

In most regions of Mexico, a quesadilla is a circle of cooked corn masa, called a "tortilla", folded in half and filled with cheese, then cooked until the cheese has melted.

While cheese is the most common filling, other ingredients are also used in traditional Mexican quesadillas, including cooked vegetables, mushrooms, and meat.

I use flour tortillas.

Meme4251

it is a like as stated above a tortilla, which we use flour with marinated grilled steak or chicken then add cheese, top another tortilla on top and grill till brown (we use our George Forman for this). We grilled both chicken and beef yesterday, used monterey jack cheese and american. Was fantastic...Eating them for lunch and then I am going to ziplock the extra meat and freeze for later quick snacks. Easy and very good.

homecook

Maybe you can find them in a bag like your ribs :thumb:

:yum:
Just kidding, Ray, but that's how I would have to make them.

Are those the things you make in the lasagna pan, Barb? With like a hundred ingredients?

Huh??? :huh: They're like Meme said. Two flour tortillas stuffed with meat, veggies, cheese, etc. whatever you want in them. You can either fry them in a skillet or bake them. We sometimes just fill one side and fold it over. Sometimes we use two tortillas, fill one and top with the other...........I've also done them on the grill....

Last edited:

chowhound

Oh. They sound like a tortilla pizza.
What are those things you make then, Barb? You posted a recipe here. They are rolled up things with cheese all over them and delicious looking.

homecook

What are those things you make then, Barb? You posted a recipe here. They are rolled up things with cheese all over them and delicious looking.

A tortilla pizza wouldn't have a top to it. I don't think so any way.

Oh, those are the chicken enchiladas.........you could put the same ingredients on a flat tortilla add more cheese to it to glue it together, add another tortilla to the top and bake on a cookie sheet or fry in a pan, grill, etc. Cut into wedges.

Meme4251

Never have tried frying them but will one of these days. I do know my Geo. Forman sure grills them nicely and they have come out with nice grill marks. I do my meats on my grills outside though after marinating most of the day.

GotGarlic

They're more like a tortilla grilled cheese (and other ingredients if you like) sandwich - they have a top, either another tortilla, or the bottom one folded over. A tortilla pizza is a tostada :D

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Get a round tortilla, flour for quesadillas if you want to be PC...put anything you like on one half of it, as long as some of what you like is cheese. Fold the other half over the 'stuff' side, making a semi circle. Place it on a hot griddle for a couple of minutes. Then, flip it and grill it for another couple of minutes....

Remove to cutting board, cut into wedges, serve with (usually) salsa and quacamole.

That's a quesadilla

chowhound

They're more like a tortilla grilled cheese (and other ingredients if you like) sandwich - they have a top, either another tortilla, or the bottom one folded over. A tortilla pizza is a tostada :D

Tostada!?
Geez. don't throw another one at me. All I know is I like them all.
:lol:

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm glad i waited to read this thread before i posted. when i pestered keltin for a topic, and he came back with quesadillas, i thought, "great, something i have no interest or experience making".

but after reading this, i started to get ideas.

i have some leftover pulled pork so that's a no brainer.

i also have some intensely flavored grilled corned beef, so a reuben-ish quesadilla is in the planning.

getting back to something tex-mex: one of my favourite mexican dishes is enchiladas veracruz. it's shrimp and crabmeat in a garlic cream sauce rolled in soft tortillas, topped with cheese and baked. that could easily transform into a quesadilla.

since the garden is crankin' out tomatoes and basil right now, i'll have to think of a way to work out a margherita quesadilla.

there's also a lot of peppers - habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne, yellow wax, and cubanelles, i think a pepper mash or salsa quesadilla thing could happen. or maybe it'll just be the dipping sauce.

and just some thoughts from what i have in my fridge: goat cheese, spinach, and almonds; bacon and cheddar; fresh basil, peccorino romano, and ricotta; wilted spinach, balsamic, pignolis, and carmelized onions; grilled chicken and peanut sauce (chicken satay); hoisin garlic ginger tofu and shiitakes; hot dogs, baked beans, and cheese.

now i just have to do it. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i'm glad i waited to read this thread before i posted. when i pestered keltin for a topic, and he came back with quesadillas, i thought, "great, something i have no interest or experience making".

but after reading this, i started to get ideas.

i have some leftover pulled pork so that's a no brainer.

i also have some intensely flavored grilled corned beef, so a reuben-ish quesadilla is in the planning.

getting back to something tex-mex: one of my favourite mexican dishes is enchiladas veracruz. it's shrimp and crabmeat in a garlic cream sauce rolled in soft tortillas, topped with cheese and baked. that could easily transform into a quesadilla.

since the garden is crankin' out tomatoes and basil right now, i'll have to think of a way to work out a margherita quesadilla.

there's also a lot of peppers - habaneros, jalapenos, cayenne, yellow wax, and cubanelles, i think a pepper mash or salsa quesadilla thing could happen. or maybe it'll just be the dipping sauce.

and just some thoughts from what i have in my fridge: goat cheese, spinach, and almonds; bacon and cheddar; fresh basil, peccorino romano, and ricotta; wilted spinach, balsamic, pignolis, and carmelized onions; grilled chicken and peanut sauce (chicken satay); hoisin garlic ginger tofu and shiitakes; hot dogs, baked beans, and cheese.

now i just have to do it. :thumb:

Holy cow BT! You've got enough ideas to do this whole thing! You must do this!! :clap:

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks, k. i will try to get some done this week. i need to go pick up some tortillas, i guess.

hmm, thinking about it, a quesadilla translates to "little cheese", so any quesadilla should contain a cheese ingredient in a folded tortillas. i think most of my ideas are covered so far. will have to add cheese to the ones that don't.

btw, to be technical, a quesadilla is folded, a sinchronizada is filling between two tortillas. but i don't think it matters for our contest. both will work.

Last edited:

FooD

i'll have to think of a way to work out a margherita quesadilla.

Holy chit! I love that idea.
If you're not going to do it, I'll do it. Even if you do it, I still might do it. Thanks for the great idea...:D

Let me see if I can find my wife's old cast iron quiche pan and remove some rust from it.