Awesome Turkey Meatloaf

FryBoy

Ground turkey can be used to make a delicious meatloaf that's more healthful than one made with ground beef or a mixture of ground meats (beef, pork, lamb, etc.). Buy the leanest available -- the fattier stuff includes the skin and a lot of fat, which may add some flavor but is unnecessary in this recipe.

Turkey Meat Loaf

2 cups chopped mushrooms
1½ cups finely chopped broccoli florets
1 cup finely diced green pepper
1 cup finely diced carrots
½ cup finely diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon celery seed

1 pound lean ground turkey (without skin)
⅓ cup catsup
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 large egg whites (or Egg Beaters to equal)
1 cup dried bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat, cook first eight ingredients (mushrooms through celery seed) until carrots are tender-crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool a bit.

In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and add cooked vegetables. Mix with hands until well blended. Lightly pat into a 4-inch by 8-inch loaf pan, or a 6-cup to 8-cup terrine, gently rounding the top.

Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit in the middle of the oven until firm to the touch, about 45 minutes. For a browner top, finish by broiling about 3 inches from heat for a few minutes. Allow meatloaf to stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

Makes 6 to 7 servings, 216 calories each, 17 grams protein, 6.6 grams fat, 21 grams carbohydrates, 725 mg sodium, 47 mg cholesterol.

lilylove

I'm not allowed to make meatloaf. Paul had it so many times growing up that it's just one of his "won't eats"....

BUT... I'm going to try this out next week anyway.
It looks like there might be enough flavor to make him happy. I just won't tell him it's meatloaf! lol.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, lily - what if you form them into meatballs, toss them with gravy and serve them over egg noodles?

Sounds really good to me, anyway!

Lee

lilylove

LOLOLOL I love it Qsis but...doesn't the gravy and the noodles take away from the healthy?

Maybe just the meatballs with some steamed veggies.... boring but good for you?

FryBoy

I'm not allowed to make meatloaf. Paul had it so many times growing up that it's just one of his "won't eats"....

BUT... I'm going to try this out next week anyway.
It looks like there might be enough flavor to make him happy. I just won't tell him it's meatloaf! lol.
Tell him it's Pâté de Dindon en Terrine.