Franken-Pantry VIII

LETHAL GTS

Thanks guys, I forgot to add the pic with sour cream and my rosemary butter.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpg
    IMG_5058.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 226

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Another Franken Pantry keeper, I think. I made a spinach/bacon quiche, using a potato crust. I started with 4 good-sized potatoes, that I boiled early this morning, and then refrigerated all day to get them good and cold - the potatoes here are quite good, but they are also very moist and waxy, never mealy and fluffy like a russet potato. And, I cannot buy frozen hash browns, or that's what I would have used. I shredded them and added salt and pepper, then about 1/3 cup of melted butter. I put them in a 9" pie pan and baked it in the convection oven at 400F for about 30 minutes to crisp up the crust. Then, I filled it with five beaten eggs, some sauteed red onions, about a cup of frozen spinach, six slices of cooked and crumbled bacon and three cups of grated cheddar cheese. Put that back in a 350F oven for about 35 minutes...quite good!

Once again, necessity is the mother of invention, and that's what makes this game so enjoyable. This turned out to be very tasty, and we both gobbled it up.

Attachments

• DSCF0805.jpg
    DSCF0805.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF0807.jpg
    DSCF0807.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF0808.jpg
    DSCF0808.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0811.jpg
    DSCF0811.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0812.jpg
    DSCF0812.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 177

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good lord! You guys are amazing! Awesome job GTS and Karen. I'm truly impressed! We have got some top notched cooks in here! My hat is off to all of you! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Sass, Peeps and Keltin - I really enjoy coming up with recipes from the FP, and fortunately, Jerry actually looks forward to the next creation. If you decide to make this quiche, I forgot to include the 2-3 TBS of heavy cream that I added to the filling. It may be tasty, but it's not going to win any healthy eating awards...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
If you decide to make this quiche, I forgot to include the 2-3 TBS of heavy cream that I added to the filling. It may be tasty, but it's not going to win any healthy eating awards...
and...........?
:kiss:
That's why it looks so GOOD.
It's rich and gorgeous looking!
This is the first ever quiche I've looked at where you can actually count the layers!
LOVE IT!
Did Milo get a bite?
Please say yes! :heart:

LETHAL GTS

K Karen, I'm not much of a quiche fan. But damn that looks soo good!
I really like the potato crust idea. I don't care for pastry and I would have enjoyed my potato pies better had I used your idea for the pie shell. In fact what would have been really awesome would be making potato crust and then deep frying it and then stuffing it with my concoction. Little potato baskets. Mmmm!
Thanks Keltin, I'm glad I found this place. This was a great idea you had!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sass Muffin said:
Did Milo get a bite?
Please say yes! :heart:

Sorry to say that Milo did not care for it - he apparently believes that "real opossums don't eat quiche." He prefers bugs, live or very recently deceased. But the doggies had some, and they gave it a solid "10". Millie and Lucky (kitties) also had some and enjoyed it.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Lethal - deep fried potato baskets! What a grand idea! See, that's why this is so much fun...c'mon folks - come and play with us!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to say that Milo did not care for it - he apparently believes that "real opossums don't eat quiche." He prefers bugs, live or very recently deceased. But the doggies had some, and they gave it a solid "10". Millie and Lucky (kitties) also had some and enjoyed it.

I am glad to hear you feed the animal kingdom as well Karen. :)

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We always used to share with our furry kids. But Squirt has had pancreatic surgery twice. She has since developed diabetes and is insulin dependent. She can no longer have food from the table - she has prescription dog food.

We can't give to Chico and not to Squirt, so our dogs now eat more healthful than we do! We eat the bad-for-you-stuff that tastes good, and they eat the good-for-you-stuff that tastes bad.

Maybe they'll outlive us.

Deelady

Heres my entry....Spanish Tortilla or also called potato frittata. I used, potatoes, onion, eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Best at room temperature!! :D
Its usually much puffierbut I used less eggs this time because I was getting low...

Attachments

• food 443.jpg
    food 443.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 148
  • food 444.jpg
    food 444.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 151

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
What a great idea - why didn't I think of that??? I love Spanish tortillas, and they are very popular here in Mexico. They're good with some jalapenos or serranos added, too (unfortunately, not part of this FP). You did a beautiful job making it, Dee.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Fantastic Dee! I've heard of this but never made it. You've inspired me to get busy! Awesome! :clap:

Deelady

Thank you Keltin. It really is a great easy yet comforting dish. One of those things where you don't really want to add much to it because you know in this case simple is better! A lady who just moved straight from Spain taught this to me at our work and I never strayed from her recipe.