Allen’s Mexican Rice

AllenOK

Allen’s Mexican Rice
Yields: about 3 c

This stuff is absolutely amazing! I originally started work to perfect this recipe years ago, when I moved to Michigan for a few years, and didn’t have access to my favorite (at that time) Tex-Mex fast food chain.
Although most folks will serve this as a side dish for a plated meal, you can certainly spoon a little inside a Burrito, Chimichanga, or as part of a Taco.

2 T vegetable oil
½ c chopped onions
1 t minced garlic
½ c chopped green bell peppers
2 T frozen peas, optional
2 T frozen corn, optional
1 T Mexican Seasoning Mix
1 t cumin
½ t chili powder
½ t oregano
2 ½ t salt, or to taste
1 ¾ c rice
One 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 c chicken stock

In a saucepan, heat the oil. Make a sofrito with the onions and garlic, sweating them down until soft and caramelized. Add the bell peppers, peas, corn, Mexican Seasoning, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and salt. Sauté over medium heat until the for a couple minutes to toast the seasonings. Add the rice and sauté until the rice is toasty. Add the tomato sauce and stir until it’s fairly well blended. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook this mixture until the tomato sauce mixture begins to caramelize a bit. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir to make sure everything is mixed well. Check the seasoning and add more salt if needed. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 18 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork and serve.

Lefty

Yank
Sounds good. I just need to Google sofrito :^)
Goya makes one
goya_sofrito.jpg

AllenOK

Sofrito is usually found in Cuban, Carribbean, and I think Spanish cuisines. It's usually a finely-ground mixture of various aromatic veggies and seasonings, cooked to a pulp and pureed.

I'm not totally sure if Mexican cuisine utilizes a sofrito, but if there is one, it's probably just onions and garlic, slowly sweated until they are soft and tasty.