Apple Cheddar Turnovers

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I always double this recipe, and I mix the crust in my food processor. It works if you are VERY VERY careful not to over mix. Just a few pulses for the butter, which I dice and put in the freezer for about a half hour before I add it. Then a few pulses more after you add the water - take it out of the FP and form it into a ball as quickly as possible.

APPLE - CHEDDAR TURNOVERS 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter, chilled & cut into pieces
1/2 c. finely grated mild Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. ice water
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. water

FILLING:
2 large apples, peeled, cored & chopped (use more if your apples are not big)
6 tbsp. butter
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
butter

For Crust: Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle ice water over dough, mixing quickly just until dough forms a soft ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
For Filling: Saute apples in butter over medium heat, stirring frequently until apples are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, flour and spices; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool completely.
Separate the dough into fourths and work it one portion at a time - put the rest back in the frig. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into 4 inch circles. (I use the top from my flour canister.) Combine egg yolk and water. Brush pastry circles with egg yolk mixture.
Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each circle and dot with butter. (I figure there is enough butter already in this recipe and skip this step). Fold pastry over filling, pressing edges to seal. Brush outside of pastry with egg yolk mixture. Cut slits in tops of turnovers for steam to escape. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield about 8 turnovers.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 230
K

Kimchee

You are gonna make be bake yet.
Cheddar Cheese and apple pastries Oh My God get out of my way and
count your fingers cuz I'm hogging them all!!!!

Now, how to do this with pre-made pie crust, hmmmmmm.... :-D

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Kimchee, you could easily make these from pre-made crust. Just sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the crust, shmush it in and cut them out. Be sure to brush them with egg, though. I have to confess that I really don't like making pie crust and would buy the pre-made ones if I could. But they don't have them here.
Sass, you are so right -the cheddar makes all the difference. Nice contrast in flavors.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Apple & cheese calzones!! LOL YUMMY!! I saved this one!! Thank you. :a1:

I hate making pastry crust also!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone. I have to admit that they are really really good. With ice cream, too.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
loboloco said:
Do you think Extra sharp cheddar would be too much?

Depends on your tastes, I guess I used mild cheddar because that is usually all I can find (and I'm lucky to find that). The cheddar flavor is pretty pronounced, but it a nice foil for the apples. If you use sharp cheddar, you might increase the sugar a tiny bit.

loboloco

Update, FYI. I tried these with a couple of small changes.
I used sharp cheddar, and to balance used Golden Delicious apples.
These are sweeter than Granny's and balanced the sharp cheddar nicely.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh yum, lobo. That sounds very good. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for some sharp cheese, and I'll try that.