NCT Cook's Challenge Week 1 -May 3-May 10

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
1. (and in no particular order, either, just number 1 because someone has to be...) stuffed, filled or layered pasta.
2. Pasta (unstuffed, filled or otherwise layered)
3. Chicken
4. Duck
5. Turkey
6. Fowl (yeah, you can also do one for the previous three)
7. Fish - with scales and fins
8. Shellfish and things that live in shells
9. Something from the ocean/pond/lake/stream/river/puddle
10. Cow
11. Pig
12. Ground Cow
13. Smoked Pig
14. Eggs
15. Cheese
16. Cream
17. Your favourite spice
18. Your favourite herb
19. Breakfast
20. Salad
21. Soup (cream or broth type, but not stew, cause..hey, we need a bigger list)
22. Stew
23. Italian
24. French
25. Middle Eastern
26. Chinese
27. Japanese
28. Mexican
29. BBQ/Grill/Smoker
30. Berries
31. Pain/Bread/Manna
32. Tomato
33. Seasonal vegetable of your choice (must be 'in' season)
34. Family Favourite
35. Dessert

The challenge will run from Monday to Monday, with the new one beginning on the last day of the previous one. The current week and the next week's theme will be posted initially. Please don't post pictures or recipes until the current week is open.

And the winner is BERRIES!! And with Mother's Day this week, and the great deals on Strawberries I've seen, this should be a good one!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm trying to stay away from desserts, so I've been thinking about pairing the berries with meat. Maybe pork & raspberries.....

Working on ideas.....

Who else is making progress on this?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I'm trying to stay away from desserts, so I've been thinking about pairing the berries with meat. Maybe pork & raspberries.....

Working on ideas.....

Who else is making progress on this?
i have been making salads with dried fruits, dried berries, nuts and seeds for the last week and NEVER took any pics!! :bonk:

i will probably have one for lunch tomorrow and will try to remember to snap.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you, Cooksie....I picked up blackberries, thinking to stuff them, with feta, into a chicken breast.

Then I saw the veal shanks and osso buco is all I can think of! I'll be working with blackberries, and picked up some more strawberries...

But I'm lost now.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to come up with something for….BERRIES???? :yum:

I did a Strawberry Vinaigrette Marinade for Pork & Chicken (and Beef)

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14737http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=180774&posted=1#post180774

Step9f.jpg

Step9h.jpg

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Looks magnificent!!! Thanks for being the first one to post to the new generation!!!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Cooksie, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Those look gorgeous, and my idea of berries is something sweet.:applause:

Today I bought blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. But I sooooo want to not make a dessert. I'm really trying hard to get the weight off. I'm having (another) party tomorrow, and I'm going to serve the strawberries with a dip. I used some of the raspberries tonight on my grilled chicken. and I think I'm going to break down and make blueberry pancakes for breakfast.

I spent a whole week thinking about it, and now I think I'm going to have 3 entries!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Here's the chicken. Sorry, pics are real bad, but the chicken was pretty good.

The chicken breasts were 12 ounces each, so I sliced one in half and made 2 fillets (that portion control stuff again).

Smashed up some raspberries, added a generous splash of raspberry balsamic vinegar, another splash of Chambord, and some dried chipolte. It was tasty but too thin to used as a basting sauce. So in a moment of inspiration, I threw in a tablespoon of raspberry jam. It thickened it just enough.

Hot grill. Raspberry basting sauce. Tasted good.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 195
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 375

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Here's the chicken. Sorry, pics are real bad, but the chicken was pretty good.

The chicken breasts were 12 ounces each, so I sliced one in half and made 2 fillets (that portion control stuff again).

Smashed up some raspberries, added a generous splash of raspberry balsamic vinegar, another splash of Chambord, and some dried chipolte. It was tasty but too thin to used as a basting sauce. So in a moment of inspiration, I threw in a tablespoon of raspberry jam. It thickened it just enough.

Hot grill. Raspberry basting sauce. Tasted good.
that last pic is beautiful!! do you think that meal would have to much carbs (sweetness AND starch) for me?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm sorry this didn't take a lot of creativity, but I did make up this platter just to use berries again this week.

Huge strawberries with a cream cheese & sour cream dip.

Attachments

• Hanks bday 007.jpg
    Hanks bday 007.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 367

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I still have one more plate to show here...and have till tonight to get it up here. Sorry for the delay.

Have to pick the third week,today, too!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'd never delete that!! It looks amazing. I still have to get my own salad up there. Never got pictures of the berry cobbler, either...:ohmy:

GotGarlic

Thanks, y'all, I needed that :smile: DH loved it, so you know it tastes good, too. Although he eats pretty much anything I make ...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
yes yes yes, very late....but give a girl a break, please. I'm lucky I still know where the camera is!!!

This is a salad with raspberries, gorgonzola, candied walnuts and grilled portabello mushrooms

May2010082.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
yes yes yes, very late....but give a girl a break, please. I'm lucky I still know where the camera is!!!

This is a salad with raspberries, gorgonzola, candied walnuts and grilled portabello mushrooms

May2010082.jpg
beautiful!! baby spinach or arugala? i am surpised there aren't figs in there LOL

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Its' baby spinach, although I would have prefered arugula. I used the raspberries for the challenge. I haven't seen any fresh figs yet, have you?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Its' baby spinach, although I would have prefered arugula. I used the raspberries for the challenge. I haven't seen any fresh figs yet, have you?
I don't eat fresh figs very often. I like the dried better. My mom had a fig bush that was fantastic and when she passed someone asked if he could have it. he came with a back hoe and took it to replant in his yard. I would always have at least one fresh fig a year. my girl loves them. he promised me I could visit my fig bush whenever I want LOL I don't go out of my way looking for fresh figs but they do catch my eye and I haven't seen any yet this year.