NCT's Iron Chef #51 - Secret Ingredient !

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This week's challenge is special. As we approach our 1 year anniversary of Iron Chef here on NCT, we've agreed to mix it up a bit. We're going to make sure everyone has an opportunity to showcase their best stuff!

2589jdh.jpg

Everyone gets to pick their own "Secret Ingredient"! But there's a catch (of course). You pick an ingredient you love, or one you've never used and would like to try. PM me with your secret early in the week. Then try to challenge yourself to make the best dish you can with your own ingredient.

Post your dish, your pics, and your recipe before Monday, May 3rd. We all get to guess which ingredient in your dish was the special one. As we finish Year 1, and move on to Year 2, this will give each of us an opportunity to try something that we didn't get a chance to do in the first year. We can show off our best dish, or try something completely new.

Next week will be our 1 Year anniversary, and Vera has something special planned to kick off version 2.0.

As with the other ICs, this is a challenge to ourselves. There is no judging, and no winner. We are ALL winners in this since we will all benefit from the creativity and new recipes that this challenge will bring us.

The rules are simple, this challenge is open for 7 days (week of 4/25/10 - 5/1/10). During that 7 day period, make any kind of dish you want, however you want. Drink, Appetizer, Main Course, Dessert, etc. The only stipulations are that you must use your secret ingredient in some way in the dish, and it must be something you have cooked during the 7 day period of this challenge.

Once your dish is ready, it’s a good idea to make a new post with your recipe. Then, post a link and a picture of your recipe to this thread. Alternatively, if you like, post your recipe and pictures here. In the end, we will compile all the results into one thread for easy searching.

Now, let the Battle begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sounds like fun! I'm trying to think of something where the secret ingredient isn't obvious :ermm:.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I suppose I should not have posted my dinner thoughts in the dinner thread!!!

But, with a secret ingredient, as long as you are making dinner, ANYTHING goes!!

GotGarlic

Oops, is the secret ingredient supposed to be visible?? :huh:

:yum:

It's the champagne vinegar!! I am a vinegar fiend. It's really a toss-up between that, garlic and basil. I think I have six kinds of vinegar in the pantry.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Oops, is the secret ingredient supposed to be visible?? :huh:

:yum:

It's the champagne vinegar!! I am a vinegar fiend. It's really a toss-up between that, garlic and basil. I think I have six kinds of vinegar in the pantry.
:yum: HMMMMMMMMM I also have red wine vinegar, white vinegar, champagne vinegar, rice vinegar, chianti vinegar and malt vinegar in my houe. I guess I am a fiend also.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:yum: HMMMMMMMMM I also have red wine vinegar, white vinegar, champagne vinegar, rice vinegar, chianti vinegar and malt vinegar in my houe. I guess I am a fiend also.

Long live the vinegar fiends! I have white vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, Apple Cider vinegar, Rice vinegar, & Malt vinegar.

buckytom

Grill Master
i've got all of those (except the chianti) and i'll add two: sherry vinegar and raspberry vinegar.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Long live the vinegar fiends! I have white vinegar, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, Balsamic vinegar, Apple Cider vinegar, Rice vinegar, & Malt vinegar.
yes yes i forgot to add the balsamic in the back of the fridge to my list!! i had apple cidar but never replaced it when i ran out.

GotGarlic

Now that you reminded me, it's actually 11 - white, white wine, red wine, champagne, sherry, rice wine, apple cider, malt, balsamic, strawberry balsamic and vanilla-fig balsamic.

I'm making a tortellini salad with vinaigrette tonight! :smile:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Another vinegar fiend here!

apple cider
white
champagne
red wine
balsamic
white wine
rice
malt
raspberry white balsamic (raspberry blush)
raspberry balsamic
pomegranate
sherry

My current favorites are the raspberry white balsamic and the sherry
vinegars.