Allen's Rissotto

AllenOK

General warning: DON'T TRUST ANY MEASUREMENTS IN THIS ONE! I don't have a set recipe that I follow; I just do it all to taste.

2 - 3 T clarified butter (you want a lot of butter to coat the rice)
1 large shallot, julienned
1 1/2 c arborio rice
1/4 c white wine
stock (try to match the stock to the meat item in the meal, chicken stock to chicken, beef stock to beef, etc.)
3 - 4 T cold whole butter
1/4 c (or more to taste) Parmesan cheese
-or- Asiago
-or- a blend of those two or any other good, hard, tasty cheese.
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Swirl in the butter to coat to bottom of the pan. Add the shallot, and stir to coat with the butter. Saute until the shallot begins to wilt, about 2 minutes or so. Stir in the rice and saute until the rice grains begin to toast and caramelize. I find this easiest to stir, let it sit a minute, stir, repeat, until the rice reaches the level of caramelization I'm after.
Once the rice is caramelized and the shallots start to show some color, deglaze the pan with the wine. Add enough stock so that the rice is swimming around in the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Covering the pan is up to you. You can simmer at a lower temp if you cover, and you won't loose liquid as fast to evaporation, but, I find that loosing liquid to evaporation means that I have to add more stock, and thusly, more flavor :thumb:
Keep a close eye on the dish, checking every few minutes. When the liquid gets really low, add some stock, bring it back to a boil, then simmer. You may have to do this a couple of times. After 20 minutes, check the rice to see if it's done. If the rice is done, proceed. If not, keeping adding liquid as needed and simmering to cook the rice.
Once the rice is done, turn off the heat. Add the butter in cubes, then the cheese. Stir until all is melted and absorbed into the dish. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

PanchoHambre

That's pretty much my MO as well (minus all the butter gonna have to add that)

Risotto is one of my favorite things to make... probably because I love shopping for cheese.

I really like to use rustic Italian cheese that have that hint of earth in their taste.. a dash of truffle oil in the finish.. served with portabellos for a nice vegetarian meal

Deelady

I really need to make a risotto sometime! I don't know how I've gone so long without making my own!!!

:thumb: great sounding recipe!