NCT's Iron Chef 22: Battle Shellfish

homecook

Shell fish in this category are crustaceans. Shrimp, crab, lobster, etc.

There's another seafood category that includes clams, mussels, oysters, etc.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

hmmmm i thought scallops were in the same category as clams. i don't eat scallops so i thought they grew (lived) in a big fancy ruffled shell (like a clam). i think i need to google. LOL

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
clams, oysters, mussels...are mollusks , bivalves, cockles..not crustaceons

Not to say, Lucky that those scallops aren't just beautiful!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The problem with “shellfish” is that it is too broad. It covers:

Mollusks (Clams, Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, etc)
Crustaceans (Shrimp, Lobster, Crab, Prawn, etc)
Echinoderms (Star Fish, Sand Dollar, Sea Cucumber, etc)

The list had entries for Prawn, Shrimp, Crab, Clam, Oyster, etc. There were many entries for individual creatures, but there was also the two entries of “Shellfish” and “Mollusk”. This created confusion and overlap.

So, I decided to limit “Shellfish” to Crustacean, and then explained that Mollusks covers the bi-valves (Oysters, clams, scallops, etc).

With those two distinctions in place, I combined all the individual entries into their two respective umbrella entries.

So technically, Scallops shouldn’t be in this IC. But we’re all friends here and LT's scallops look fantastic. :biggrin:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
clams, oysters, mussels...are mollusks , bivalves, cockles..not crustaceons

Not to say, Lucky that those scallops aren't just beautiful!
hello vera! so what are scallops mollusks or crustaceons?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The problem with “shellfish” is that it is too broad. It covers:

Mollusks (Clams Mussels, Oysters, Scallops, etc)
Crustaceans (Shrimp, Lobster, Crab, Prawn, etc)
Echinoderms (Star Fish, Sand Dollar, Sea Cucumber, etc)

The list had entries for Prawn, Shrimp, Crab, Clam, Oyster, etc. There were many entries for individual creatures, but there was also the two entries of “Shellfish” and “Mollusk”. This created confusion and overlap.

So, I decided to limit “Shellfish” to Crustacean, and then explained that Mollusks covers the bi-valves (Oysters, clams, scallops, etc).

With those two distinctions in place, I combined all the individual entries into their two respective umbrella entries.

So technically, Scallops shouldn’t be in this IC. But we’re all friends here and LT's scallops look fantastic. :biggrin:
ok then. i made linguini with white clam sauce and was going to post it here but i guess i am poop out of luck. :sad:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
ok then. i made linguini with white clam sauce and was going to post it here but i guess i am poop out of luck. :sad:

Personally, I say go ahead and post it.

A while back, someone posted “Shellfish” to the list. Later, someone posted “Mollusks” to the list. We also had posts of shrimp, prawn, oyster, clam, etc.

Technically, Shellfish covered all of that…..and still does.

To make the list cleaner, I put Crustacean into Shellfish, and all bi-valves into Mollusks.

But my mistake was that I should have re-named Shellfish as Crustacean.

As it stands, Shellfish technically covers them all, so no one would be technically wrong for posting a bi-valve to this IC. True, I did make a parenthetical distinction that it should be Crustacean, but I really should have deleted the term Shellfish and put Crustacean there instead.

So go ahead and post your clam recipe as it technically is a shellfish.

Having bi-valves in this IC won’t break anything…..but Mollusks do have their own entry and will eventually come up one day. So there’s going to be some overlap, and there may be some that post a bi-valve here and then have nothing new to post in the exclusive bi-valve entry for Mollusks.

chowhound

So what's the difference between crostini and bruchetta? And just plain ol loaded garlic bread?
I don't know if this thread is funny or confusing. My father is allergic to shellfish and can't eat anything mentioned here, well, with the exception of echinoderns, which I'm pretty sure the doctors "forgot" to mention :bonk: And he was such a big sand dollar eater... :yum:

Not having all shellfish lumped together makes as much sense as having coffee or rice as stand alone IC ingredients. Well, IMO of course.

I say let the scallops in! :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
So what's the difference between crostini and bruchetta? And just plain ol loaded garlic bread?
I don't know if this thread is funny or confusing. My father is allergic to shellfish and can't eat anything mentioned here, well, with the exception of echinoderns, which I'm pretty sure the doctors "forgot" to mention :bonk: And he was such a big sand dollar eater... :yum:

Not having all shellfish lumped together makes as much sense as having coffee or rice as stand alone IC ingredients. Well, IMO of course.

I say let the scallops in! :wink:

Look at the list before the merge.

10. Shrimp
25. Shellfish
26. Crab
27. Scallops

Then Mollusks was suggested for item 41 giving us:

10. Shrimp
25. Shellfish
26. Crab
27. Scallops
41. Mollusks

But, Shellfish covers them all.

Technically, perhaps I should have just deleted 10, 26, 27, and 41 and said it’s ALL shellfish.

But I thought I was doing the kinder and more interesting thing by splitting shellfish into 2 categories. That way, the poster that said I want to have Oysters as an IC challenge didn’t get their entry completely deleted and ignored and then rolled into the Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Scallop, Mussel, Clam, Star Fish, Octopus, Squid, Cuttle Fish category of Shellfish.

Notice I tried to make the distinction that Mollusks should be Bi-Valves since Mollusks technically covers Squid and Octopus. No one has suggested Squid or Octopus yet, but if we didn’t make some distinction between Shellfish and Mollusks, then they couldn’t. We’d just have to say, sorry, that was a shellfish.

Perhaps the best approach would have been to delete “Shellfish” and just let the individual entries stand on their own. Looking back, that was probably the better thing to do. But, I was a bit worried that if we had individual entries, some would get no play at all.

What if Lobster had it’s own entry? I’m sure an entry of Shrimp might get a lot of recipes, but would Lobster do well on it’s own.

Would Mussels do well on their own? Scallops would probably fair well, but Mussels?

Further, if we allow Shellfish to cover all of that, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll run the full gambit. An all inclusive Shellfish IC can come and go, and we may never touch on Crab, Oyster, Clam, Squid, Mussel, etc. Even with this IC supposedly focusing on Crustacean, will we see them all (Prawn, Shrimp, Crab, Lobster, Crayfish, Krill).

I thought by splitting it, we had a better chance of seeing more entries, while also making the categories less exclusive and more pocketbook friendly. Having a Crustacean entry allows the member to chose Lobster, Shrimp, Crab, etc without saying “No, you must buy and cook only Lobster this week”. Also, I certainly doubt an IC on Krill would fair well (although it is tasty).

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Linguine with white clam sauce (click for recipe)

white_clam_sauce_100609_P1040378.JPG

Last edited:

chowhound

... Having a Crustacean entry allows the member to chose Lobster, Shrimp, Crab, etc without saying “No, you must buy and cook only Lobster this week”. Also, I certainly doubt an IC on Krill would fair well (although it is tasty).

Exactly my point. Calling it all "shellfish" would broaden that spectrum even more. A member could choose any shellfish they wish without limiting them to crustaceans or.... sand dollars, starfish and sea cucumbers? :dizzy:
But I kinda know where you're coming from. And it's all said and done now.
Hey, is that on the do not like this expression list... all said and done? :lol:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Exactly my point. Calling it all "shellfish" would broaden that spectrum even more. A member could choose any shellfish they wish without limiting them to crustaceans or.... sand dollars, starfish and sea cucumbers? :dizzy:
Hey, is that on the do not like this expression list... all said and done? :lol:

Which is exactly my point. We only have 7 days for the IC, and an all inclusive Shellfish category would kill 10 or more possible ingredients in one go. Shellfish isn't a common weekly ingredient, and it certainly isn't cheap, so spreading it out over more than 1 IC gives us a chance to see more. But as you say, it's done now.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
i don't know about that one but "my bad" is :yum:
ok back to the challange. are you going to add your steak shimp sauce to the thread?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

Uh, Oh !
following Homecook's comment, I'm now not sure SCALLOPS would qualify;
After all, Scallops ain't much more than a clam that swims..........:blush:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Uh, Oh !
following Homecook's comment, I'm now not sure SCALLOPS would qualify;
After all, Scallops ain't much more than a clam that swims..........:blush:
no problen LT!! its fine and your dinner looks so yummy!!

how ya feeling? don't over do the cooking and hurt yourself.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Any seafood will always be my favorite category. Here's another entry.

Several years ago, when we lived near Orlando there was a chain restaurant called Macaroni Grill. They had a wonderful dish called Gambretti (or something similar). I tried to recreate it at home. We haven't been back in years, so I'm not sure how close this is, but we think it's pretty good.

Pasta Gamberetti e Pinoli
(I think that means pasta with shrimp and pine nuts)

(Sorry about the messy plate...I forget to clean it up before shooting the photos. I was hungry!)

Attachments

• shrimp gambretti.jpg
    shrimp gambretti.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've had great fun with this battle. Here's tonight's plate.

Butter poached shrimp and lobster. These shrimp are 2 ounces each, and the lobster tail was only 3 ounces. I cut it in half down the length, so the shrimp are actually bigger than the lobster sections.

Once again, there's not an actual recipe, I just poached them and plated.

Attachments

• Butter poached lobster shrimp.jpg
    Butter poached lobster shrimp.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 345

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've had great fun with this battle. Here's tonight's plate.

Butter poached shrimp and lobster. These shrimp are 2 ounces each, and the lobster tail was only 3 ounces. I cut it in half down the length, so the shrimp are actually bigger than the lobster sections.

Once again, there's not an actual recipe, I just poached them and plated.
that is a beautiful picture SS. how do you get such wonderful pictures? macro? special lens? just awesome!!

what is the other side dish beside the salad?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It's couscous. THe large size is often called Israeli couscous. I brown it in butter,then cook it in chicken stock. This time I added raisins, green peas & scallions near the end of the cooking.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I'm so sad that I wasn't around to participate:neutral: but I am so happy to see such wonderful entries. I always miss participating in one of the challenges. Nice job to all of you.

So, what's next????