Roasted Tamari Nuts

Mr. Green Jeans

2# Raw peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, cashews or pecans
1/2 cup tamari sauce Note: DO NOT sub soy sauce

Pre-heat oven to 250. Place the nuts in a roasting pan roast for about 20 -25 minutes. Remove and sprinkle about 2 Tbsp of tamari over nuts, stir, return to oven. Repeat the process every 8 -10 minutes 3 - 4 times. The tamari will begin to caramelize into a dark brown coating. Allow to cool completely before storing. Note: for pecans and cashews, reduce the oven temp 25 degrees and shorten the coating cycles to 5 - 8 minutes as they can burn if baked too long.

I've heard of tamari sauce, but never tried it. What is the flavor like or similar to? Will put this on the list to try.

Have seen some recipes for baked/roasted garbanzos (w/ soy sauce etc.), that sound interesting. Have you ever made them?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tamari is a Japanese (as opposed to Chinese) soy sauce. It is richer and more concentrated - perhaps a little thicker, although not appreciably so.

I use is almost exclusively. The brand I find in the grocery stores here is San-J.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just use it as soy sauce. On the bottle it actually says "Naturally Brewed Tamari Soy Sauce".

It IS soy sauce, but a different style. Much richer, more flavorful, usually less salt. It uses a higher ratio of soybeans in it's manufacture. It's sort of like the difference between light cream and heavy cream - but only sort of. MGJ mentioned Guiness and a lager - that's also only sort of. But those analogies should give you the idea.

Don't think of it as a new ingredient to stock, think of it as a switch from one soy to another.

Mr. Green Jeans

I just use it as soy sauce. On the bottle it actually says "Naturally Brewed Tamari Soy Sauce".

It IS soy sauce, but a different style. Much richer, more flavorful, usually less salt. It uses a higher ratio of soybeans in it's manufacture. It's sort of like the difference between light cream and heavy cream - but only sort of. MGJ mentioned Guiness and a lager - that's also only sort of. But those analogies should give you the idea.

Don't think of it as a new ingredient to stock, think of it as a switch from one soy to another.

Adding to what Sage mentioned, tamari must have a higher sugar content thus the caramelization. I tried soy sauce as a sub in the recipe and trust me, it ain't even close!