Have you made Deep Fried Oysters?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have not, but plan to for this Thanksgiving dinner. Looking for tips so I don't mess up.
I'm planning to keep it simple but if you know of a way to spice it up a bit please let me know.

I would:
1. dip oysters in raw eggs
2. Mix with crushed saltine crackers
3. deep fry them puppies.

What am a missing? Tips please!!!!!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
On the surface, maybe some interesting spices mixed in with the bread crumbs. These would vary depending on your taste. Some salt, maybe some peppers (red or black) maybe a batter, like a beer batter. Lots of options.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
DW who superwised the church ham&oyster supper a couple years sez:

double dip.... into beaten egg, into crumbs, air dry 10+ minutes,
repeat.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have had them with cracker crumbs and cornmeal and prefer the cornmeal. It seems to me like the breading isn't as heavy as cracker crumbs.

I just make a mix, 3 to 1 ratio of regular ol' Aunt Jemima cornmeal to Louisiana fish fry (you can get the spicy if you want, I use original). They already have the sticky liquid on them, so I just roll them around in the meal mix, drop in the deep fryer, and cook until golden. They don't take long at all.

Love fried oysters!

I just bought another deep fryer. I couldn't stand not having my fried shrimp fix.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I love fried oysters, but have never made them myself. I was thinking a little buttermilk mixed in with the egg?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the ideas. I plan to make them on Thanksgiving while DW is doing the rest of the fixings. I might try a couple different ways to compare. Will do my best to remember to do pics and report back here afterwards.
Oh yeah, I should mention I've never had deep fried oysters. I've had them on the half shell and was not a fan. But one only lives once so I gots to try em.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Love them on the half shell! But yes, an acquired taste. Have you had them grilled on the half shell? I just tried those a couple of weeks ago, totally awesome. They put garlic and butter and asiago cheese on them and then grill em. Decadent!