Wilted Lettuce Salad

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is the wonderful salad that I grew up with, when I spent summers in the Berkshire Mountains with my Polish grandmother and aunts.

I make it several times every summer, and I'm surprised that I don't have a photo of it. Yet.

I'll come back to post a picture soon! :mrgreen:

Lee

Aunt Stella's Wilted Lettuce Salad

For 4 people

Leaf lettuce, torn into bowls, about ½ head per person
5 slices of bacon, diced and fried till crisp

Dressing (adjust these amounts to your own taste – it should be
slightly sweet and slightly sour)

¼ cup minced onion
3 teas sugar
½ teas salt
¼ cup cider vinegar
4 T. water

Tear lettuce leaves and put them in bowls. Add some minced onion to each bowl.

Remove fried bacon pieces from fat and drain on paper towel. Mix the
dressing ingredients and pour the dressing into the hot fat. Bring quickly to boil,
for about a minute, then pour over the bowls of torn lettuce. Top with bacon pieces,
freshly ground black pepper, and toss.

Last edited:

homecook

Ok, Lee, we really are long lost sisters! :biggrin: We used to make this all the time!

Was your Aunt Stella married to Uncle Phillip??? Hahaha

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had a hankering for this delicious salad ever since Domestic Goddess posted her family's recipe for Wilted Lettuce, here:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27061&highlight=Wilted+lettuce

I finally took a photo of my family recipe tonight. I nailed the dressing, but used Bibb lettuce instead of green leaf lettuce (the latter looked terrible in my store). Still delicious, but not quite right.

I'll find some CLEAN and FRESH green leaf lettuce, make it again and post another picture.

Lee

Attachments

• Wilted lettuce.JPG
    Wilted lettuce.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 220

Johnny West

I grew up on that using fresh leaf lettuce from my dad's garden and it used to be all we'd have for the meal. It can't be beat.

Domestic Goddess

I've had a hankering for this delicious salad ever since Domestic Goddess posted her family's recipe for Wilted Lettuce, here:

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27061&highlight=Wilted+lettuce

I finally took a photo of my family recipe tonight. I nailed the dressing, but used Bibb lettuce instead of green leaf lettuce (the latter looked terrible in my store). Still delicious, but not quite right.

I'll find some CLEAN and FRESH green leaf lettuce, make it again and post another picture.

Lee

Lee, what a beautiful looking salad! No need to take another picture, as I think this one is perfect!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nailed it!

I forgot that you have to toss the salad after pouring the hot dressing over it.

That wilted it perfectly! :wub:

Lee

Attachments

• Wilted leuttce tossed.JPG
    Wilted leuttce tossed.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 214

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Man, is this delicious! My best effort so far!

Next time, I'll take a picture of it wilted, after I toss it with the hot dressing.

Lee

Attachments

• wilted lettuce salad.JPG
    wilted lettuce salad.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 189