"Beer Can" Cornish Hens

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, actually the Cornish Hen is too small for a beer can, so this is “V8 Can Cornish Hen”!

The idea is the same. Take a can, add spices, herbs, beer and/or wine. Prop the Hen on the can and seal the neck. I sealed the neck with the skin and a small skewer. Then, you smoke/cook it with indirect heat.

I used the poultry seasoning from the site Chow posted a while back, along with a Bay Leaf, some beer, and a bit of white wine. One hen was dusted with blackened seasoning and the other was with paprika, sage, garlic powder, and salt & pepper.

Edited to add: I ran these for right at 1 hour on an 18" Weber Kettle using a half chimney of charcoal. So about 20 coals per side plus wood. One hour of cook time, and they were done.

“Beer Can” Cornish Hen

Here is the can.
Step_1-11.jpg

The Hens are resting nicely on their cans and are ready to go.
Step_4-7.jpg

Step_2-11.jpg

Step_3-8.jpg

On the Weber Kettle, the Hens are in the middle with coals to the right and left. Also present are two foil packs of potatoes, one for me and one for DW.
Step_5-5.jpg

Step_6-4.jpg

Now they are done.
Step_9-2.jpg

Step_7-4.jpg

Step_8-2.jpg

Cut the back Bone out with shears.
Step_10-1.jpg

Cut the Hen in half with a Chef’s knife and they are ready to go!
Step_11-1.jpg

Notes
To get these to fit on my kettle with the lid on, I had to cut the cans down by 3/4”. Doing this allows the cans to fit inside nicely, and the hens rested with tail on the grate and legs down to prop them up. On a full size smoker, you won’t have to cut the cans down at all.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, these look divine, Keltin! You can see how juicy they are. And I like them being nicely browned all over - the skin is delicious like that. Thanks for taking pics.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks good Keltin..

what kind of camera do you have? and can i afford it?..lmao

i need a new one because i am not really liking my canon

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
looks good Keltin..

what kind of camera do you have? and can i afford it?..lmao

i need a new one because i am not really liking my canon

Hell Bam, I'm CHEAP! I bought this camera off of eBay for $45 USD. Shipping was $8.50. And then I bought a 1GB mem card online for it for $6 which gives me 632 pictures.

It’s a 3 megapixel Sony Cybershot. Back in the day, they went for $300+, but you can get them on eBay now on the cheap, especially since big cameras today are going at 5 - 12 or more megapixels.

But, this camera is a battery HOG! It kills batteries….fast! You can get about 100 or so pics before the batteries are near dead……maybe 150. But, I bought a recharge station with 4 batteries, so I just swap out 2 at a time. I’ve always got 2 charging and 2 in the camera. The recharge unit with batteries was only $28…..and without that, I could NOT afford to use this camera!!!! :yum:

Seriously, in a busy week when I take pics a lot, the batteries are dead and ready to be changed in 3 days! That requires me to change batteries up to 3 times a week, and the camera needs high end lithium batteries to supply enough current.

So far, I’ve taken 2400 pics with this camera, and I’ve had it for 2 months or so. It’s doing well. The pics are HUGE, so I have to size them down before posting here. Otherwise, the pics would be this big.

jl2tc4.jpg

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
wow you are thrifty..lol

i got a 7.1 mp piece of crap... the only good thing about it is that it is really good on batteries... uses 2 AA's... i have had the batteries in for about a month...i average 30-50 pics a day and today i should change them...

bad thing? its a canon that replaced the 3 mp powershot i had and the old one took better pictures but was a battery hog as well...

i need to go shopping on ebay tonight...lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
wow you are thrifty..lol

Coming from a guy that builds his own smokers????? :lol: :yum::yum::yum::yum:

But yeah, I am......on most things. For the most part, eBay is my friend! :lol:

I still spend too much money on some things like electonics, and DW.

OOPS......I didn't say that last part! :lol:

Seriously though, DW puts up with me, so for the most part, what ever she wants is fine with me. We discuss a few things, but she pretty much gets her way.

chowhound

I've got an old Sony Cybershot 3.2 (I think), but it doesn't look quite like your pic. Not that I remember anyway. Yep, battery hog, but took better closeups than my current Powershot. Terrible lag time, but good for stills. I should really try selling this stuff I hoard off, before it becomes totally obsolete (lol).

Good looking birds, Keltin. Very nice color. I'm going to have to look up the Kettle. I thought Webers were known for their high domed lids, but you said these cornish hens wouldn't fit without cutting the can down??? So there's no way a full sized bird would I guess. No wonder you usually spatchcock (lol).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those hens look absolutely GREAT, Keltin!!

Love the pic of your cat, too! I used to have that couch, but it never looked that clean after the first month.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good looking birds, Keltin. Very nice color. I'm going to have to look up the Kettle. I thought Webers were known for their high domed lids, but you said these cornish hens wouldn't fit without cutting the can down??? So there's no way a full sized bird would I guess. No wonder you usually spatchcock (lol).

There is 5 3/4" of clearance between the grate and lid on the Weber 18". A bit more than that on the 22". A chicken wouldn't fit on a Weber Kettle 18", but I saw a pic of one on a 22". For chickens, I use the Smoker. I usually only fire up the smoker for whole BC Chickens, Ribs, and Butts. Just about everything else can be done on one of the Kettles, in the DO, or over the pit.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Couple of Questions. What temp and for how long?

This was done on the 18” Weber Kettle, so it was basically used as an oven meaning the temps were higher than Q temps. I didn’t measure them though, but I can assure you they were higher than 225. I’d imagine around 350 or so. I used a half chimney on this, so about 20 or so coals per side plus wood.

These were done in one hour, and you can see the crust that formed on the top of the hens showing how the dome of the grill circulated the heat back down on to them.

The great thing about Cornish Hens and this particular method is they are done fairly fast, and the skin on the hen is thinner than on a chicken. The higher heat resulted in a nice crispy skin you could actually eat and enjoy. All the BC Chickens I’ve smoked for 1.5 to 2+ hours have had tough and rubbery skins that you can’t eat. It’s pretty much universal about smoked chicken in that the skin is no good, but the skin on these was actually rather tasty and crispy.

GrillinFool

This was done on the 18” Weber Kettle, so it was basically used as an oven meaning the temps were higher than Q temps. I didn’t measure them though, but I can assure you they were higher than 225. I’d imagine around 350 or so. I used a half chimney on this, so about 20 or so coals per side plus wood.

These were done in one hour, and you can see the crust that formed on the top of the hens showing how the dome of the grill circulated the heat back down on to them.

The great thing about Cornish Hens and this particular method is they are done fairly fast, and the skin on the hen is thinner than on a chicken. The higher heat resulted in a nice crispy skin you could actually eat and enjoy. All the BC Chickens I’ve smoked for 1.5 to 2+ hours have had tough and rubbery skins that you can’t eat. It’s pretty much universal about smoked chicken in that the skin is no good, but the skin on these was actually rather tasty and crispy.

They look stellar....I can see an hour at 325 and up....

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
20 coals in a 18" weber is easily 350 ...

It was 20 per side, so 40 total. But to be honest, I just eye-balled it and didn't count (I count them when I use the DO, but not the Kettle). Could have been 15 or so for each side. So between 30 and 40 coals split between the sides.

Love2"Q"

It was 20 per side, so 40 total. But to be honest, I just eye-balled it and didn't count (I count them when I use the DO, but not the Kettle). Could have been 15 or so for each side. So between 30 and 40 coals split between the sides.

you didnt count .....:shock:

my god man ... we need specifics here ...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i got a solution, i got a solution..lol

easy solution really... the last 15-30 minutes of your smoke time, raise your smoker(pit) temp up.... open your air intakes all the way...open the firebox door, whatever it takes to bring the temps up...you will always get edible non-rubbery chicken skin..and it looks purdy when its done too..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i got a solution, i got a solution..lol

easy solution really... the last 15-30 minutes of your smoke time, raise your smoker(pit) temp up.... open your air intakes all the way...open the firebox door, whatever it takes to bring the temps up...you will always get edible non-rubbery chicken skin..and it looks purdy when its done too..lol

Really? Ok, I'll give it a shot, and I imagine adding a spritz of oil with vinegar would help a bit as well. Interesting.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Really? Ok, I'll give it a shot, and I imagine adding a spritz of oil with vinegar would help a bit as well. Interesting.

i cant even remember what kind of smoker you have Keltin:sorry::confused:

but here are some chickens smoked at 300* degrees..you gotta remember that smoke goes along way as far as poultry is concerned..it needs less time and takes on the smoke flavor quicker.

chicken on a UDS

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i cant even remember what kind of smoker you have Keltin:sorry::confused:

but here are some chickens smoked at 300* degrees..you gotta remember that smoke goes along way as far as poultry is concerned..it needs less time and takes on the smoke flavor quicker.

I've got a Masterbuilt Triple Crown Charcoal Smoker. For BC Chicken, I only add wood at the start, and then let it run it's course for the rest of the cook.

gmdcs_triple_crown_deluxe_charcoal_smoker.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i use to have a masterbuilt 7n1 smoker...RIP

i loved that smoker...alot of my older pics of food pron was done on that smoker.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It’s a great unit with a 3 compartmental design which I think is a must in a vertical water smoker. Love it. But it’s getting old, and parts are rusting out now. About time to replace it. It’s a sad time! :yum: