Jet dry - or not - in the dishwasher

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
We had dishwasher trouble a while back and the repairman recommended using Jet Dry's cleaner once a month. I was only able to find it once in the store, and when I got it, I also got a neat basket lemoney thing to hang in the dishwasher. I think it helps; it's not expensive. I bought all they had, but I've run out and I don't see them in our stores. I could buy a year's supply online, but I wondering if I should bother ..... maye I could just do a vnegar load once a month or so.

I wash a lot of glasses and really appreciate clean sparkling glassware - Does anyone want to share what they do?

Ronjohn

Distilled vinegar. Our city water isn't very hard to begin with, but the few salts/chalks that are in there get knocked down by the vinegar and the glasses come out nice and clean. :)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
We have very hard water here so I use JetDry all the time. But vinegar works really well, too.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I should clarify. I keep the blue liquid filled up on the door of the dishwasher. I use the good Electrasol tablets with the power ball in them. I use the hanging basket thingy and replace it promptly. IO also occasionally add some white vinegar to the bottom of the machine before I start it, and I usually wash on hot.

Is the monthly cleaner overkill?

suziquzie

I'm out of Jet Dry, I should try a little vinegar. Thanks!
I can always tell when I'm out because the plastic stuff doesn't dry at all.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I should clarify. I keep the blue liquid filled up on the door of the dishwasher. I use the good Electrasol tablets with the power ball in them. I use the hanging basket thingy and replace it promptly. IO also occasionally add some white vinegar to the bottom of the machine before I start it, and I usually wash on hot.

Probably not if the technician suggested it. It probably has to do with the kinds of minerals, etc in your water. Since vinegar is cheap and repair men aren't, I'd do the monthly clean.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I googled it - some ppl use vinegar instead of detergent. some use it in addition to the detergent. some use it as a rinse aide. And some use it in between washng as a sort of deep clean.

Some use baking soda for a deep clean.

Calicolady

I use the blue liquid all the time. I've never had to use anything else. My father, who lives about 12 miles away, does too. But somehow his water or machine is different, and all his clear glass stuff is etched.
I may have to tell him about the vinegar, even though it's too late for all that glassware now.
Thanks for the tip.
As for using hot water...
My machine only hooks up to the hot water line.
Isn't that true of all of them?

chowhound

I thought if you used the tablets with the power balls you were NOT supposed to use jet-dry..... I stopped using jet-dry anyway and haven't had a problem in 8 years on well water. Knock on my head.

Calicolady

I don't like the tablets. I still use the liquid and use just alittle less than the 2 compartments each hold. My dishes go in pretty clean after I scrape & rinse them, so I don't feel more soap is needed, and feel the hot, hot water is what does the job best.