Candied Orange Pecan Biscotti

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Make the candied orange peel first and then, use it to make the candied orange pecan biscotti.

Candied Orange Peel

This is how I make candied orange peel to either dip in chocolate, use in biscotti or holiday breads.

Candied Orange Peel
Makes about 1 cup peel
Ingredients:
3 oranges, use peel only
water to cover
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:
Peel oranges, scoring the peel into 5 or 6 sections to make them equal in size. Place the peel in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. With a grapefruit knife, lift off most of the white pith so they will not be bitter.
Make a simple syrup:
In a clean saucepan combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves. Add the peel and let simmer until the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 45 minutes to an hour. Watch it so it doesn't burn. Lift the peel out onto waxed paper or parchment paper to cool.

These are rather unique but oh, so good! I have no idea where my mom got this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup candied orange peel (see my recipe on the candy page)
3/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup sweet butter
3/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice concentrate thawed
zest of an orange
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Place the nuts in a shallow pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Watch them, do not let them burn--time is a guide only. Let cool.
When nuts are cool. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, liqueur or concentrate and zest.
In a smaller bowl, blend the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter egg mixture just intil blended. Fold in the pecans and candied orange peel.

Divide the dough in half. Place on a greased and floured cookie sheet and form into two longs about 1/2-inch thick, 1-1/2-inches wide and 14-inches long and space the two logs at least 2-inches apart. Bake the biscotti for 25-30 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Transfer the logs to a rack and cool for 5 minutes.
Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees. Place each log on a cutting board (do one at a time) and with a serrated knife slice diagonally about 1/2-inch thick cookies. Place the slices upright on the baking hseet and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes to dry the biscotti slightly. Let the biscotti cool on a rack. Store in a tightly covered container.