Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

Attachments

• keilbasa-bake.jpg
    keilbasa-bake.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11,672

Guts

[FONT=&quot]I usually make this was store-bought Polish sausage. But I'm sure yours would be better if served by itself, rather than in a casserole dish like this. Here's one I make an like and it freezes well also.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Polish Sausage/Spinach Bake[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 10-oz frozen chopped spinach [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]4 cups shredded zucchini [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 lb Polish sausage, sliced or chopped [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]5 eggs, slightly beaten [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup milk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3/4 cups finely crushed soda crackers [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup parmesan cheese [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1-1/2 tsp dried minced onions [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp basil, crushed [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp pepper [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup sour cream [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28 soda crackers = 1 cup of crumbs = 3 oz = 85g[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Place spinach in boiling water, return to boil, break up spinach and add zucchini [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cover, simmer 5 minutes; drain and press out liquid [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Brown sausage; add to spinach along with remaining ingredients except sour cream [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Divide between 2 greased casseroles [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350° [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Uncover and spread the 1/2 cup sour cream on top [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese; bake uncovered 15 minutes longer [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notes:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Can be frozen but baked 1 hour, covered. Top with sour cream and parmesan and bake uncovered 5 minutes longer
Some adjustments I have made with this recipe: Used 2 pkg spinach, 1 chopped and 1 leaf, 1-1/2 lb sausage, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes, 2 Tbsp onion flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp basil and 1/2 tsp pepper [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Carolina Cooking

Boars Head ANYTHING is out of this world. :wub: In our publix it has its own case & section.

I have not made anything fancy with it. I like it with carrots & green beans & small potatoe. fried. Haven't had this tho in a long while tho.

I like apples & brown sugar or pears with saurkraut . with or without potato. without I can have :yum: I have also put sour cream in with the brown sugar/apple. yumm

gee make sme want to go to publix again today lol I saw Honeycrisp apple yesterday. I had to pass them by :sad::sad: Then I dreamed I made a apple pie :sad:

Carolina Cooking

[FONT=&quot]I usually make this was store-bought Polish sausage. But I'm sure yours would be better if served by itself, rather than in a casserole dish like this. Here's one I make an like and it freezes well also.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Polish Sausage/Spinach Bake[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 10-oz frozen chopped spinach [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]4 cups shredded zucchini [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 lb Polish sausage, sliced or chopped [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]5 eggs, slightly beaten [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 cup milk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3/4 cups finely crushed soda crackers [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup parmesan cheese [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1-1/2 tsp dried minced onions [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp salt [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 tsp basil, crushed [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 tsp pepper [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup sour cream [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28 soda crackers = 1 cup of crumbs = 3 oz = 85g[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Place spinach in boiling water, return to boil, break up spinach and add zucchini [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cover, simmer 5 minutes; drain and press out liquid [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Brown sausage; add to spinach along with remaining ingredients except sour cream [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Divide between 2 greased casseroles [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350° [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Uncover and spread the 1/2 cup sour cream on top [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese; bake uncovered 15 minutes longer [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Notes:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Can be frozen but baked 1 hour, covered. Top with sour cream and parmesan and bake uncovered 5 minutes longer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some adjustments I have made with this recipe: Used 2 pkg spinach, 1 chopped and 1 leaf, 1-1/2 lb sausage, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes, 2 Tbsp onion flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp basil and 1/2 tsp pepper [/FONT]

:readytoeat::readytoeat:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm another who doesn't like sauerkraut, so I understand the problem. Sauerkraut is the perfect foil for the kielbasa, since sourness of the kraut really cuts through the fattiness of the meat.

What I love to serve instead is German Potato Salad. The sweet-sour profile works just as well, but softens it for those of us that don't eat sauerkraut. Sweet & Sour red cabbage would do the same thing.

If you want to do everything the day before (or use up leftover German potato salad), here's a quick dinner. Put the potato salad in a casserole and add sliced or chunked kielbasa. Bake until heated through. Dinner in 20 minutes.

I grew up on a semi-homemade version of this. My mom, the Queen of Convenience Foods, used Read's German Potato Salad in a can. Casserole - slice kielbasa - bake.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I don't know what happened to my earlier post. Mashed potatoes either plain or dirty mashed.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We like the one-pan meal of sausage, onions, green peppers, broccoli and sliced new potatoes from a can. Throw it all together in the pan and heat it up. I add a little bit of cracked black pepper and Lawrey's seasoning salt. Here we served fresh sweet corn and homemade bread as well.

P1030901.jpg

P1030903.jpg

cookingirl

I am completly Polish and I love baked kielbasa, mashed potatoes and pickled beets!! yum!!!!!! or just boil the taters!! on of my favorite meals:cooking::wow:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We like the slice thin on the bias, pan fry then dip into over easy egg yolks and served with taters pan fried in the kielbasa drippings on the side.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All great ideas so far!

I definitely want to serve the whole kielbasa link, so I'm really looking for sides instead of one-dish ideas, this time around (but your dishes look wonderful for another time!).

Loving the idea of German potato salad or dirty mashed potatoes. Now for the vegetable. I'D love either cabbage or beets, but may have to go with something more tame for Ms. Picky. Like my Chinese long beans?

THanks, everyone!

Lee

I'm going to be making this next week http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176438&postcount=1

You think I'd know this, being half Polish. But I'll be serving it to my roommate, who does not want anything to do with saurkraut, and when I mentioned pierogi, she looked skeptical.

What sort of potato or noodle dish would be good? Other ideas?

TIA!

Lee

Frogmore Stew/Low Country Boil. Everything is made in one pot.

Paella

I haven't tried these yet.

Shrimp Boil Hobo Packets
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-boil-hobo-packs

Kielbasa Apple Kabobs
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2078

All great ideas so far!

I definitely want to serve the whole kielbasa link, so I'm really looking for sides instead of one-dish ideas, this time around (but your dishes look wonderful for another time!).

Loving the idea of German potato salad or dirty mashed potatoes. Now for the vegetable. I'D love either cabbage or beets, but may have to go with something more tame for Ms. Picky. Like my Chinese long beans?

THanks, everyone!

Lee

Didn't see your post. I was searching my recipes.

Oven-roasted brussels sprouts

Spaetzle or

Easy foil potatoes:

http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-foil-bbq-potatoes-94219

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm, CC, the idea of spaetzle actually did cross my mind.

Is it a pain to make?

Thanks for the idea!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Is it a pain to make?

Thanks for the idea!

Lee
I don't know about CC, but I'll say it's labor intensive, but worth it! It's pasta, to which you can top it with just about anything you would put on other pasta. I like it with a litte EVOO & Parmesan, but have made Spaetzle & Cheese, fried them in bacon grease with bits of bacon and poured goulash over the top.

P1030024.jpg

P1030032.jpg

P1030029.jpg

Is it a pain to make?

Thanks for the idea!

Lee

That's a hard question to answer. Give it a try.

Another side, I wanted to mention, is potato pancakes.

Mr. Green Jeans posted a recipe for sweet and sour cabbage. I think that would pair well, as well.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
spaetzle is really quite easy to make - don't have my gram weights available for the recipe but it's flour, pinch of salt, beaten egg in water, add&mix. many variations, seasoning, milk/cream, etc.

the tricky bit is "hardware" - you need something with roughly 1/4 inch holes to squeeze it through into boiling water. see pix. cooks in 4-5 minutes.

I like to cool mine and then "re-fry" - but you can serve it fresh out of the pot.

don't buy the boxed dry stuff, it's awful compared to fresh. I make a big batch and freeze half - spread out on a cookie sheet to freeze, then bag (avoids the big 'lump' after freezing)

Attachments

• spaetzleplate_2.jpg
    spaetzleplate_2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 9,584
  • DSC_1025s.jpg
    DSC_1025s.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 9,623
spaetzle is really quite easy to make - don't have my gram weights available for the recipe but it's flour, pinch of salt, beaten egg in water, add&mix. many variations, seasoning, milk/cream, etc.

the tricky bit is "hardware" - you need something with roughly 1/4 holes to squeeze it through into boiling water. see pix. cooks in 4-5 minutes.

I like to cool mine and then "re-fry" - but you can serve it fresh out of the pot.

don't buy the boxed dry stuff, it's awful compared to fresh. I make a big batch and freeze half - spread out on a cookie sheet to freeze, then bag (avoids the big 'lump' after freezing)

:thumb:

You could also try a colander.

Really, any potato dish that you like - mashed, sauteed/fried, plain boiled - goes well with kielbasa. As far as veggies apart from sauerkraut, butter-sauteed sliced cabbage goes well & is a favorite around here. You could add in some sliced kale as well to contrast with the pale color of the cabbage. Also any type of baked bean dish (canned or homemade) is a favorite as well.

K

Kimchee

I like to mellow out the kraut by carmelizing some onions, then adding drained
kraut, salt, pepper, and a bit of sugar. Let it simmer and mellow for a while.
Really cuts the tang of the kraut!

homecook

Lee, from one Polack to another. lol

This is what we normally have.....

Haluski (cabbage and noodles)
Ingredients:
1 head cabbage, sliced into strips
2-3 med. onions, sliced into half-moons
1-1/2 sticks of butter
3/4 pkg. wide noodles
salt and pepper

Preparation:
Slice the cabbage and par-boil in a big pot of water. While that's cooking Add 1 stick butter to a frying pan. (I use my electric frypan) Fry your onions til soft. When cabbage is done, drain and add to butter/onions. Add plenty of salt and pepper. Cook down til slightly browned, not too much. Boil the noodles until done. Add to the onion/cabbage mixture and add more butter if needed and combine well. Let cook together for about 20 minutes. Check for more salt and pepper..........

Or potato pancakes....http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10398

The pierogies and spaetzle are good sides also if you want to take the time involved....

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9,384

cookingirl

sorry--I am adding this:
My pickled beets are soo good and easy...can of sliced beets, including juice; pour into a glass bowl, add white vinegar -to taste, optional to add some sliced onion.., place in refrigerator for several hours to marinate, serve cold, without juice.....maybe add a tad of pickled juice over mashed potatoes......yummy! grew up on this..my mom's stuff an it was her moms before this....depression cooking, I think...sooo good...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, now I may be able to sell the haluski idea. I'd forgotten about that - thanks, Barb!

Cookingirl, I may make up a batch of those beets just for myself. They are SO good for you!

Lee

GotGarlic

My dad used to make kielbasa and sauerkraut all the time. The sauerkraut tastes much milder when you cook it with apples and brown sugar, to make a sweet and sour effect. He also made it with beer and caraway seeds :smile:

DH and I also like to slice and broil it for dipping in mustard, with a green salad and roasted potatoes.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I usually make mine by combining sliced kielbasa with cut cabbage, onion & carrot in a skillet until all are carmelized then adding a little teriyaki sauce & serving over white rice. One of my family's favorites :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heyyyyyyyyyy, how'd you do that, Paymaster?

Did you core out the center? With what???

Very neat trick!

Lee

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I know it isn't the most traditional thing, but I love a portion of kielbasa, peppers and onions , deglaze with a little chicken stock and beer, let reduce, and serve over white rice. Rice soaks up all the juicy goodness, it-s cheap and cheerful, and I have never met anyone who didn't like rice.