Bread Bowls

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
2 1/2 cups warm water (105−115 degrees Fahrenheit)
2 packages active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. oil
6 1/2 − 7 1/2 cups bread flour
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. milk

Measure warm water into large bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved.Add salt, sugar, oil and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough additional flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board;knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 12 minutes. Place dough in bowl that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray, turning to grease top.
Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Grease outside of 12, 10−ounce custard cups or oven−proof bowls of similar size.

Punch dough down; divide into 12 pieces. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.Spread each piece into a circle about 6 inches in diameter. Place overoutside of bowl, working dough with hands until it fits. Set bowls, doughside up, on baking sheet that has been coated with nonstick spray. Cover
with plastic wrap; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Combine egg and milk; gently brush mixture on dough. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes until golden brown. Using potholders, carefull remove the bowls. Set bread bowls open side up on baking pan; bake 5 minutes.

Makes 12 servings.

For larger bowls, use oven−proof bowls that are approximately 6 inches in diameter. Divide dough into 6 portions. Frozen bread dough also can be used.
A 1−pound loaf will make 2 large or 4 small bowls.

Lefty

Yank
I love a good chowder or chili in a bread bolw.

ChiliRecipe.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ever try to eat the bowls from Panera bread after you have the soup?
Nearly impossible.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ever try to eat the bowls from Panera bread after you have the soup?
Nearly impossible.
You pretty much need all your own teeth, or some super Poligrip!:yum: I think their bread bowls are made with their sourdough recipe, with lots of steam injection to toughen up the outer crust. they really are chewy.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You pretty much need all your own teeth, or some super Poligrip!:yum: I think their bread bowls are made with their sourdough recipe, with lots of steam injection to toughen up the outer crust. they really are chewy.

Absolutely. The first time I had one, I was sitting there attempting to discreetly tear pieces off, then gave up LOL
The soup and side of bread they give you is filling enough.
Maybe I'm just a pig :yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I love a good chowder or chili in a bread bolw.

ChiliRecipe.jpg
This is how I make a bread bowl. I make the loaves in a boule (round) loaf, then cut out a circle on top and tear out chunks of bread to use for dipping. I use the steam method and this gives a thick, chewy crust that will not easily break down with soups or stews. Besides, I don't have 12 oven-proof bowls to make it Bam's way.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am making bread bowls tonight, simple white bread. I am not familiar with the steam method??

And I agree about Panera, here they use a sourdough recipe and it might as well be the actual bowl! LOL!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I am making bread bowls tonight, simple white bread. I am not familiar with the steam method??

When you heat up your oven, place an old cookie sheet on the floor of the oven to preheat as well. When you put your bread in the oven, then pour 1 cup of hot water into the old cookie sheet and immediately close the door. Do this with oven gloves to avoid any steam burns. This creates a similar environment to the steam ovens in bakeries.

CAVEAT: THIS MAY DO DAMAGE TO THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS OF YOUR OVEN. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF oven DAMAGE. CHECK YOUR OVEN WARRANTY BEFORE PROCEEDING. DON'T SAY YOU WERE NOT WARNED IN ADVANCE.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
When you heat up your oven, place an old cookie sheet on the floor of the oven to preheat as well. When you put your bread in the oven, then pour 1 cup of hot water into the old cookie sheet and immediately close the door. Do this with oven gloves to avoid any steam burns. This creates a similar environment to the steam ovens in bakeries.

CAVEAT: THIS MAY DO DAMAGE TO THE ELECTRONIC CONTROLS OF YOUR OVEN. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK OF oven DAMAGE. CHECK YOUR OVEN WARRANTY BEFORE PROCEEDING. DON'T SAY YOU WERE NOT WARNED IN ADVANCE.

I can do this, I have no electronic controls! That I know of anyway, LOL!
I am gonna give it a try next time around, when I try my first sourdough bowl... I promise not to hold you liable if something goes wrong ;)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One can also use ice cubes if the pan has edges. One can also have a spray bottle and spritz around and open and close the oven in intervals. You just don't want to spritz on the lightbulb. This is explained very well in the bread book that I had recommended and has pictures to boot!