Literature/Books/Audio Books

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is a general thread about books, audio books and authors.
I used to read every chance I could get - at school, on the way to work on the bus, waiting to start work, lunch time and any time I had an extra second!! Now my vision isn't so good due to migraines and other health issues and such. So I buy audio books.

My favorite author is Stephen King

One of my favorite books was Bag of Bones written by Stephen King. I read that monster of a book in just 3 days. THEN my hub bought me the audio UNABRIDGED book read by the master himself STEPHEN KING!! Which was fantastic because he KNEW when and where to put emphasis.

My favorite genres are horror, thriller, suspense, crime, true crime, (European set) Gothic romance and romance set in early America, espionage.

Not so fond of biography, self help, inspirational, spiritual, religious, motivational.

Last edited:

mhend

Ohh, I like this thread!

My favorite author is Anne Rice. The Witching Hour is one of the best books I've ever read. Loved the DaVinci Code too, and I'm a big fan of James Rollins. Love Steven King too, particularly the older stuff. Oh, and the Canterbury Tales. Fell in love with it back in high school and still love it!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ohh, I like this thread!

My favorite author is Anne Rice. The Witching Hour is one of the best books I've ever read. Loved the DaVinci Code too, and I'm a big fan of James Rollins. Love Steven King too, particularly the older stuff. Oh, and the Canterbury Tales. Fell in love with it back in high school and still love it!
I listened to DaVinci Code have seen both the movies a zillion times!
I can't get into reading Anne Rice but have seen interview a gajillion times.

NOW I HAVE listened to Pandora and Armand (read by Alfred Molina the octopus guy in that Spiderman movie. I blush every damn time I see him in anything just remembering him reading Armand. WHAT a sexy voice!!) :in_love::wub:

Last edited:

mhend

Lots of public domain books to be had. I’ve personally had a ball with the Baum books. Free!!

http://www.put.com/oz/

And there is more:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

And actually Googling “public domain book” gets you even more!!

That's awesome!! I have an obsession with books. It's really the only thing I "collect". Love to smell the pages! :)

I listened to DaVinci Code have seen both the movies a zillion times!
I can't get into reading Anne Rice but have seen interview a gajillion times.

NOW I HAVE listened to Pandora and Armond (read by Alfred Molina the octopus guy in that Spiderman movie. I blush every damn time I see him in anything just remembering him reading Armond. WHAT a sexy voice!!) :in_love::wub:

LOL! Antonio Banderas played Armand in the movie. Holy Lord!! :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I can't wait for them to make movies versions of Bag of Bones and Insomnia by Stephen King. I HOPE he writes the screen plays.

Has anyone read King's The Eyes of the Dragon? Great fantasy book.

JackieBlue

Banned
That's awesome!! I have an obsession with books. It's really the only thing I "collect". Love to smell the pages! :)

LOL! Antonio Banderas played Armand in the movie. Holy Lord!! :)

Me too! I could stay in a library or bookstore all day! I don't think I'll ever get a Nook or Kindle.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
JackieBlue said:
I don't think I'll ever get a Nook or Kindle.

I love books, too. My house is full of them, and we have a local "gringo" bookstore that takes used books and gives a credit for them...I am still overwhelmed by books. But, living in a country where English language books are hard to find, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new Kindle (early Christmas gift from DH). I can order a book that I would never find here, and it is on my Kindle in less than a minute. I still read real books - right now, I am reading a Peter Robinson book (series about a Yorkshire detective) in print, listening to Stephen King's The Wastelands on my Kindle (it also works as an MP3 player) and reading Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth on my Kindle.

Thanks for starting this thread, Peeps!

JackieBlue

Banned
I love books, too. My house is full of them, and we have a local "gringo" bookstore that takes used books and gives a credit for them...I am still overwhelmed by books. But, living in a country where English language books are hard to find, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new Kindle (early Christmas gift from DH). I can order a book that I would never find here, and it is on my Kindle in less than a minute. I still read real books - right now, I am reading a Peter Robinson book (series about a Yorkshire detective) in print, listening to Stephen King's The Wastelands on my Kindle (it also works as an MP3 player) and reading Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth on my Kindle.

Then in your case I would definitely get one too. I love reading. And who knows, one day I may be forced to get one anyway. Books may be obsolete!:ohmy:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

You're welcome Karen!!

I started watching Pillars of the Earth on Showtime I think. But it was steamy and I got flack! Nuff said.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I too adore books and have been reading since I was quite small.
To think actual paper bound books would ever become a thing of the past makes me weep.
The only audio book I own is A Child's Christmas In Wales
I treasure it.
Dylan Thomas, love him!

lilylove

Love books, love my Kindle! Right now I'm reading WORLD WITHOUT END, written by the same man as PILLARS OF THE EARTH. It's pretty good but not as good as the first one.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Think about all the trees you are saving when you read an e-book...but there is controversy regarding the actual carbon footprint of the Kindle/Nook vs. books in print. Even though you are saving trees, the e-books (like computers) contain toxic metals that are not recyclable, and will eventually begin to pile up in landfills. From what I have read, you are being ecologically conscious if you read more than 25 books a year.