AeroGarden tips

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm really just guessing here as mine are still working with one about 8 months old now though the second one is about 3 months old. I just assumed they burned out like other heat lamps and such.
And the 8 month old ones are still working well? (I assume that means the plants are growing as well as when the bulbs were new.) I was wondering about this because even the owners manual says to replace after 6 mos., but I wondered how much of that was just a way to sell a lot of bulbs!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't have mine on contiguously as it sits in my garden window with a lot of sun light during the days. Plants are growing just fine and I've seen any difference. Though again I use the lamp rarely with mine.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I just checked on it and didn't realize they lights should be replaced in 6 months. Both of mine are the Pro 200 so I guess I need to buy some more bulbs. Glad you asked this or I wouldn't of know. I actaully went back and read the manual again.

My bulbs are 6+ months and the " change bulb light" just came on. I actually have retired the machine for the summer, and will get going again in october so ill probably get a spare light or two so i have it on hand, but continue with the old ones until they go, or just arnt as efficient. Another thing about the tomatoes isthat their root system gets so intense, that u really have to pay close attention to the water levels ( and not the warning light). I would have to add water every other day( which is no big deal at all) but it seems the water sensor was not as sensitive as it should be ( or it might just be programmed to go off ever y few days depending which plant u have it set too). But either way, open up the lid and check the water level from time to time.

Oh, speaking of opening up the lid, my cat figured this out, and now i have to ban the cat " lenore" from the room with the aerogarden, unless i want water everywhere as she did last time.

larry

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK, the basil assortment came today and I put the little seed things into the openings. (Hey, I feel kinda like a guy.) Now, I guess I just wait. I'm so excited!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
OK, the basil assortment came today and I put the little seed things into the openings. (Hey, I feel kinda like a guy.) Now, I guess I just wait. I'm so excited!

You need help girl, serious help, get help quick. :lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Here it is.

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 146

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I really need to take pictures of mine but never do. I will one of these days and as I said read then re-read the instructions, which I should of done on the light. DUH. Oh and by the way I buy three of their seed packs the herb, International and French. I get several growing of some great herbs. Then next thing you will need is a dehydrator (cheap is fine) to save the excess as even I can't eat all of the stuff I grow. It is worth the little investment really.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
What a great tip, joe! I've looked at dehydrators several times and wondered if I could do anything more than make jerky beef with it. Plus, I see a couple of them every time I go to GoodWill and a lot of them in yard sales. Kinda like breadmakers - there are always a lot of them that have only been used once (or never)! I will look for one, and then come back here to get you to teach me how to use it! LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
There is nothing to teach as each item you dehydrate will have requirements such as peppers, leafy herbs etc. Those are all listed on a chart that usually comes with it but if not it is available on the net. You simply set the heat, note how long and turn it off when done. I have a cheap Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator I purchased at Wal-Mart about 7 years ago. I use it all the time and it does the job really well with herbs, spices and peppers. I've never made jerky with it though it does it, I've never tried it. I paid under $50 for it new which is cheap enough and used probably way cheaper.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I seem to have a dud this time; the chives aren't responding and we are in the third week..........

369276522.jpg

Both basils are going gangbusters !

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG!!! I can't believe it! All of the seeds have sprouted! Last night, I looked and I couldn't believe my eyes - there were little green things poking up out of the pods. I feel like freakin' Mother Nature or something!

Newnork1978

OMG!!! I can't believe it! All of the seeds have sprouted! Last night, I looked and I couldn't believe my eyes - there were little green things poking up out of the pods. I feel like freakin' Mother Nature or something!
Yay! :clap:

Congratulations...I had hoped it was a good investment, but I wasn't sure how soon you were going to give it a try. Now you don't have to spend too much money on cooking herbs at the store, anymore. Heh!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This year, I've got all the Basil I can use; everything else is growing low and slow.............

370307718.jpg

370307735.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Me, too, Lucky! I came back from the coast to find an explosion of basil! We've had homemade pizza 3 days in a row just because I'm enjoying the basil. Today, I'm making La Madeleine Tomato Basil soup. That's one of my favorite soups ever and I can't wait to make my own. BTW, any other ideas for lots of fresh basil?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have about 6 pints of dried basil in my pantry for the winter months. I also have given a few jars of it to my kids and grandkids.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oh basil works in a lot of things, another good option is herb butters. I keep about a 1/2 lb of it in the freezer for steak toppings. I will take a head of garlic and roast it when done mix it, basil and parsley to softened butter. Now I rap it up in wax paper into a log then put in the freezer. It is also good on bread besides steaks and fish etc.

Another option for those that may want to make their own homemade pasta is basil mixed into the pasta dough then made into your favorite type.. Really fairly easy and about the only thing I make with dough.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i need to find one of these...lol

everybodies herbs look great

as for the other seeds that FM wants to try.. there is lots of reading on that subject..lol