What's cooking NCT Sunday 2/26/2017 - Saturday 3/4/2017

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
So, That pre-soaked Tenderloin was not too shabby.... The rub was pretty intense (Garlic and Peppercorn), and, when I first checked the interior temp., it was already 5 degrees past my intended 160, but did not affect the juiciness....

I'll try the other one, for sure...

Had an appetizer while the roast was doing its thing....

Fried Dill Pickles

A Salad rode along with the Pork...

Undressed at this point...

... and the main course, of course...

Roast Pork Tenderloin, Buttery Potato Mash, and Mexi-Corn based Succotash...

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, Lucky, did you make or buy those fried pickles???

I love them!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Setting this up to keep the dates consistent.

I will move any posts from today here.

Andy

OK - Created, moved posts stickey'd and unstickey'd

Returning you to your normal Sunday.

Ironman

🍺

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 156

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Dogboa and I had conch fritters and french fries made via the cold oil technique. Interesting way to make french fries. They were very crispy and good, though I think I'll cut them a tad bit bigger next time. Very easy way to make french fries.
picture.php

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
medtran49 - Those look absolutely delish!!.

Could you please explain the cold oil technique?

Thank You

Andy

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
They were both great. Thanks. I had seen an article in Bon Appetit about cold oil french fries a good while ago but had never gotten around to trying it, always doing the tried and true double frying method. I didn't feel like doing that last night so decided to give the cold oil method a whirl.

http://www.food.com/recipe/easier-french-fries-cold-oil-method-cooks-illustrated-415262

I did soak them in HOT from the tap water with salt first, found that method when cooking super thin (mandolin cut) potato chips. Rinsed and let drain/dry for a while on paper towels. After that, followed the directions exactly. I started them on the stove and took the dogs out to do their business. Asked Dogboa to set the timer for 13 minutes when they came to a roiling boil, as he was working on conch chowder so stove wasn't unattended. When I came back in, with the timer just starting to beep, every one of the fries had popped up from the bottom, none stuck at all to bottom or together.

Like I mentioned above, I'll cut them a bit thicker next time, they were really crispy and I do like some softness on the inside. And, they did stay fairly crispy even once they cooled down to room temp.

I used a stainless steel dutch oven with a heavy/cored bottom.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Monday night's dinner is a copykat recipe from a local Mexican restaurant. It's a burrito made with green rice, chihuahua cheese, and a vege combo of poblano peppers, onions, garlic, corn, and a bit of cream. Sauce is made of poblano pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno, and chicken broth.

picture.php

Johnny West

Tonight was leftover sloppy jose and last night's broccoli with melted cheddar. The joes were dressed with sweet onions and last summer's dill pickle slices. For dessert was the last cherry koláče from the freezer.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Tonight will be boneless wings, fries and a salad.

Last night was a hodgepodge of leftovers from the w/end...

Johnny West

They were excellent. The bacon was Hormel's pecan smoked and done in the oven. I'm not a big fan of waffles so this will do me for a year.

Attachments

• ########Waffle.JPG
    ########Waffle.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 136

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You should try true Belgium Liege waffles made with a yeast dough, with chunks of pearled sugar in them. Just to die for. We've made them a few times with true pearled sugar, but have had to order the pearled sugar (though I have found a way to sort of make it at home, just haven't done it yet). Totally different taste/texture than baking powder waffles.

My aunt also had a recipe for the thick Belgium-type waffles with baking powder where you whipped the egg whites, then folded the rest of the batter in. She only made these for Christmas and Thanksgiving breakfasts, and the family loved them. They have a bit of vanilla extract in them too. I'll make them occasionally. They are served with melted warm real butter and warmed syrup.

For dinner Tuesday night, we had stuffed peppers with g. beef, wild rice, onions, garlic, rosemary, and blue cheese. Dogboa blow-torched the peppers he found on Sunday for 77 cents a pound and we decided to stuff some of them. Made a homemade steak sauce that kind of tasted like A1 to go with.

picture.php

picture.php

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Gonna dance around the skillet tonight... Hot bulk sausage, Ro-tel diced tomatoes, elbows, onions, sweet peppers, topped with a three-cheese blend. Lettuce slab w/ the good Balsamic !
"Film at eleven!"

The "Good" Balsamic...

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Packed my dinner for this evening.
Lit'l Smokies sliced with green beans and mushrooms.
Did a taste test and it's super yummy.
Gee, could have had a leftover meatloaf sandwich- but it disappeared LOL

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Wednesday, 3/1, we had homemade pasta cut like pappardelle, with a sauce of mixed mushrooms (crimini, oysters, beech and enoki, last 2 were left over from an Asian soup meal), crispy prosciutto, thyme, chicken broth, cream, butter and some pasta water.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Ribs tonight........... was gonna slap them into a crockpot, but decided to rub 'em, sit 'em in the fridge for a couple of hours, then 2 1/2 to 3 hours in a 275 oven...........

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Being the first Friday of Lent, I'll be going to the Knights Of Columbus for a fishy fry din din.

Domestic Goddess

Since it's Lent, we're having fish sandwiches, and those "Cuties" Seedless Mandarin Oranges, and chocolate ice cream for dessert.

Domestic Goddess

Being the first Friday of Lent, I'll be going to the Knights Of Columbus for a fishy fry din din.

Sass Muffin, my husband and I have dined at KOC in the past for a fish fry during Lent, but we much prefer the Friday fish fry at The Eagles. The food is so much better there!

Johnny West

Tonight is grilled cheese and tomato soup. I'll have to hunt for a fish fry, if not, do it myself, or go out for fish and chips.

Domestic Goddess

Had an appetizer while the roast was doing its thing....

Fried Dill Pickles

Fried%2BDill%2BPickles.jpg

Luckytrim, I see where you posted the recipe for Fried Dill Pickles.
The recipe states to deep fry the pickles at 325 degrees.
Is this temp correct? Should the temp be a bit hotter than 325?

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
chicken marinated with swarma-type ingredients, grilled, shreded, with homemade pita and tzatziki. Spanakopital with homemade filling (bought phyllo).

picture.php

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Fried%2BDill%2BPickles.jpg

Luckytrim, I see where you posted the recipe for Fried Dill Pickles.
The recipe states to deep fry the pickles at 325 degrees.
Is this temp correct? Should the temp be a bit hotter than 325?

I don't have a thermometer ; I just test the oil with a pickle.... that being said, I've seen recipes that call for 325, 350, and 375 degrees...

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Ribs, complete.......... Baked Spud, Baked Onion, Buttered Carrots w/ stow-a ways........