Skillet gnocchi with spinach and white beans

Ian M.

I made this last night for poker night with my buddies - they complained a bit about SPINACH, FOR GOD'S SAKE WITH POKER but after they cleaned it all up they said it was pretty good.

1 tbls. plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 16 oz. pkg. shelf stable gnocchi (potato noodles)
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of water
6 cups of spinach, chopped
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 15 oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat 1 tbls. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Add the remaining 1 tsp. oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring over medium heat for two minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with the cheeses. Cover and simmer until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Serve in soup bowls with flavored crackers and more Parmesan for topping.

This is really good and filling. The operative word is HEALTHY..............

Ian :chef:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Sounds great to me! I frickin LOVE gnocchi, one of my favorite comfort foods, thanks for sharing!

They are so versatile, and delicious, always up for a new take on 'em. I am thinking of some chopped smoked ham, or pancetta to add, well, to add ham lol, and all of those flavors would go GREAT with some smokey pork product!

Ian M.

Sounds good... you got a pic to see what it looks like? :)

Nope, not this time around, As previously stated, the guys pretty well wiped it out! Next time I make it I promise I'll take a photo before I serve it up.

Ralph, my grandfather used to tell me that I was 10% Polish, all in my stomach, because I absolutely love all Polish food, especially gnocchi any way it's served. I've tried sneaking it into all manner of things I make and I'll certainly try adding some smokey meat to the mix as you suggest.

Ian :biggrin:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved, Ian - sounds great!

I might substitute a baguette for the crackers, but otherwise, will make it as written!

YUMM!

Lee

Ian M.

Gnocchi is potato noodles.....small-sized "shell" noodles, sometimes filled with a good filling of choice...these noodles resemble closed fists (that's the only way I can think to describe them. You can buy them frozen in the supermarket or the "shelf stable" variety that's boxed or bagged in the pasta section of your supermarket. For this recipe I use the shelf stable type. Gnocchi is a type of pasta, made with potatoes. Really good! And as Ralph pointed out, very versatile...can be used for just about anything, even desserts. Polish comfort food. I had a cousin who married a Polish gentleman and Frank taught me all about Polish cooking. Yummy goodies you wouldn't believe!!!

Ian :good:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Gnocchi is potato noodles.....small-sized "shell" noodles, sometimes filled with a good filling of choice...these noodles resemble closed fists (that's the only way I can think to describe them. You can buy them frozen in the supermarket or the "shelf stable" variety that's boxed or bagged in the pasta section of your supermarket. For this recipe I use the shelf stable type. Gnocchi is a type of pasta, made with potatoes. Really good! And as Ralph pointed out, very versatile...can be used for just about anything, even desserts.

Ian :good:

Gnocchi, is potato dumplings, not so much a noodle. A dough, cut into inch portions, and rolled of the back of a fork. Lightly poached, and then finished in a saute pan with whatever floats your boat.

You can substitute gnocchi for noodles, sure, but for the uninitiated, these little belly busters will change your world.

Gnocchi mac n Cheese:

5005922748_aab667588a_z.jpg

http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com/2010/10/gnocchi-mac-cheese.html

SUCH a vast improvement in texture over the typical past mac n cheese. So easy to doctor up too.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Normally in the cold foods, like with the Bertolli style products. The store bough ones though, pale in comparison to home made. . . just fyi. Also, DON'T over cook em, as soon as they float, pull 'em, and into a saute pan to finish up.

Ian M.

Guess I've got to bow to the better cook. Frank used to get so peeved at me for calling gnocchi "pasta" instead of potato dumplings, or holubki, "cabbage rolls" but to me the rose by any other name, etc. Yes, you CAN find the shelf stable gnocchi on the shelf. Dried gnocchi. Same consistency as macaroni. That's exactly why it's called shelf stable. The "cold" type is often in the open freezers at the grocery store I shop at. Ralph's 100% right that homemade is always better - I've just never had the ability or patience for making it from scratch and I'm the first to admit it. The recipe I posted is actually better using the shelf stable type of gnocchi so that it doesn't get overcooked. The brand I use is Pastene - comes in a bright yellow box.

Ian :chef: