Fish Casserole

Cooksie

Site Supporter
My father-in-law used to keep us supplied with fresh fish (he was a top-notch bass fisherman ), and this is one of the recipes that I used when I didn't want to fry it. I got this from my m-i-l, and she called it Bass Casserole because that's the type fish we would usually use.

4 to 6 fish fillets (any kind of white, flaky fish will work)
Milk
Flour
1 stick butter
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained, juice reserved
6 green onions, diced
2 cans Cream of Shrimp soup
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup sherry
Salt
Red pepper
Worcestershire
1 cup shrimp, cooked and chopped, or cooked crawfish tails, or pre-cooked salad shrimp

Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Dip the fillets in the milk and then dredge them in flour and lightly brown each side in the butter. Do this in two or more batches, adding butter as needed and adjusting the heat as needed so as not to burn. Place the filets in a greased, 13x9 casserole dish.

Add the bell pepper and onions to the skillet, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook until the bell pepper is tender. Add the shrimp soup, mushrooms, lemon, sherry, and about 1/3 of the reserved mushroom juice. Heat through and add salt, red pepper, and worcestershire to taste. Stir in the shrimp (or crawfish tails).

Pour the soup mixture over the fish fillets and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

If you don't like canned mushrooms, use fresh and add a little chicken broth instead of the mushroom juice. I have just made the sauce using crawfish tails and served it over linguini.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I thought of this recipe after Sass posted the pic's of her son's catfish catch. I added this recipe on here a long time ago for Buzz, so this is a copy and paste.

Sass, if your son is looking for something to do with his fish other than frying, this is really good.

Catfish is so wet, and his fish is so fresh that I wouldn't even use the milk. I'd just dredge and brown and then go on with the recipe.

The original recipe came from The Cotton Country Collection. I've used this recipe many, many times and have always been happy with it.

There is another recipe for baked catfish that's named Catfish Supreme. I first saw it a very long time ago on the Texas Fishing Forums. All those guys raved about it. It's now on Allrecipes too. I've never tried it. It calls for coating the fish with mayo.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I thought of this recipe after Sass posted the pic's of her son's catfish catch.

Last night's catch.
Over 29lbs! :mrgreen:

FB_IMG_1592482503602.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I know he enjoyed pulling that baby in!

Yes he did.
And according to his fiancee there was a lot of whooping and hollering and swearing.
It sure gave him a fight Lol

They normally have 4 lines in the water, then just sit back and wait.

Fishing Maumee_1592491780461.jpg