The Black Olive - Fells Point/Baltimore MD

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
The Black Olive
Baltimore, MD (Fells Point)

The Black Olive specializes in Greek style seafood cuisine. In contrast to the usual honky-tonk atmosphere of the Fells Point area, it is a quiet / linen tablecloth / nice table setting atmosphere. The facility itself is converted from adjoining row homes so the rooms are comfortably furnished mid-sized areas. A outdoor terrace is available seasonally.

Appetizers: an extraordinary list offered - each more lip smacking than the previous! For fans of small Greek dishes, this is the place to go - a couple appetizers would make an entire meal.

We did the Greek Village Salad plus 'combination' plate of four spreads. The taramasalata (fish roe in bread / seasonings / oil) was hands down the favorite; request the fresh pita bread to accompany!

Main dishes: grilled bronzini, striped bass/rockfish fillet, diver scallops, Dover sole. All the fish (except the sole) is grilled. All done to perfection - the mark of a really good kitchen - and most excellent stuff. They keep the fish whole, on ice - one can go pick out your own. Generous portions, the staff will fillet the cooked fish tableside on request. The Dover sole is the real deal - caught in the English Channel. I mention this because most 'Dover' sole sold in USA is just a flat fish of some sort; and really does not taste like true Dover sole - so this is a treat. One side served - crinkle cut red beets; tasty but a somewhat odd choice; salad may be substituted.

Lamb, steak, surf&turf / vegetarian dishes available.

Service level was excellent - unhurried and well practiced.
Full bar available - extensive cellar of Greek wines; our Santorini choice was very nice.

Costs are moderately upscale - excluding alcohol, roughly $60/person plus tip.
Worth every penny - the place is the real Greek deal with an excellent kitchen.

My dear wife is already plotting another visit . . .

The practical side:
Fells Point predates the city of Baltimore proper - it has had several names over time and like most old city sections fell into considerable disrepair. It has been rejuvenated and today is a chic area for business and nightlife. Can be a bit rowdy at times. Traffic and Parking is a nightmare - narrow cobble stone streets - high heels not a good idea..... Get within a block or two and use a parking garage of convenience. Street parking has a two hour limit and we saw several nice people in blue cheerfully writing out parking tickets..... I was stunned at parking garage fees - $7 for the night - a friendly place to park!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well-written review, Chowder!

After studying the dinner menu, I, too would have gone with the 4-spread combo platter, but would be worried about roe. Was it salty and fishy, like caviar (which I dislike)?

And I probably would have gone with the spanakopita dish as an entrée.

They make their Village salad exactly the way I do.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the taramasalata was superb - not salty / strong flavored / whatever.
all four of us voted it the fav - and I've got in on my Amazon list!

I went with the Dover sole just because not many places have the whole fish you can see and "know" it's the real deal - the old "when opportunity knocks on your chopsticks . . . " you can pay a lot of $$ for breaded flounder squirted with lemon and labeled "Dover sole"

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've been to two restaurants in the years past who have excellent Dover Sole.
One is Old City Prime , upscale.. small plates in the upper lounge type of deal.
The other is Sweetwater Chophouse.
A most excellent place for dining with the uppity crowd... right on the golf course/ country club.
Omg prices too.
:yum: