is this ok for my baby

Red Hot

Banned
i was defrosting pork chops on the counter and fell asleep before i put them back in the fridge. they were on the counter from 6 last night till 5 this morning. i put them in the fridge as soon as i woke up. is it safe to eat these?

Red Hot

Banned
they felt cool to my touch. what if i cook em really well done like? i dont have lots of money and dont want to waste food if i can help it.

bowlingshirt

Have you ever gotten sick from eating spoiled meat? I have, and there is no way I would risk it again with myself, much less my daughter (who happens to be the same age as your child). Personally, I would throw them out, regardless of financial means. Better safe than sorry.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Red Hot, I recently had food poisoning after eating out. I was miserably sick for 4-1/2 days. Believe me, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good question. My wife sometimes lets things thaw over night (9pm to 5am) with no issues. It's a judgment call for sure. You might be just fine but you might also get very sick. Now that you are wondering about it, I doubt you could enjoy it for a meal with the doubt in the back of your head. Like the others said, better safe than sorry.

Red Hot

Banned
yep ur right doc. I would be wonderin the whole time now. well unless i want to wipe the egg shells and coffee grounds off it then it is a done deal anyhow cause its in the trash bin now.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Red Hot, for 10 years I have taken care of elderly parents (although my dad since passed) which can be similar to taking care of children because their immune systems are not as strong. I always followed this simple rule:
When in doubt toss it out.
(It would sometimes drive my mom crazy because she didn't like wastefulness but I would always rather be safe than sorry)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
There are refrigerator and freezer thermometers that one can buy if one doubts if your appliances are working or set correctly. I also have an oven thermometer to ensure when I bake that the oven temperature is correct. If you do these things, you should feel reassured and it is a small price to pay for having your mind put at ease.

Also, check out the food safety government link that I posted and you will be able to stay on top of what is going on within the food chain. You can even get emails sent to you directly.

Red Hot

Banned
i dont trust thermometers tho. if it was not working right then you wud be trusting a faulty thermometer and could still get sick. plus when i have used them i always get different readings depending on where it is placed. i cud place it in 5 different spots and get 5 different temps. makes it hard to trust those things.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^Exactly, bowlingshirt. It may take longer and one has to plan but it is always the safest way to go.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Never thaw meat on the counter or let it sit out of the refrigerator for more than two hours. In the summer, reduce this time to 1 hour. Never defrost meat in hot water.

There are 3 Safe Ways To Defrost Meat:

* In the refrigerator
* In cold water
* In the microwave

Thawing in the Refrigerator-

As long as the refrigerator temperature is between 34° and 40°F, thawing in the refrigerator will be safe. Use a plate or pan under thawing meat to make sure dripping does not spill on foods, especially foods to be eaten without additional cooking.

After thawing in the refrigerator, ground meat should be used as soon as possible. Once meat has been frozen and thawed, it will deteriorate more rapidly than if it had never been frozen. Whole meat cuts (chops, roasts) will remain useable for another 3-5 days in the refrigerator before cooking.

Meat defrosted in the refrigerator can be re-frozen without cooking, although some quality may be lost. The USDA recommends that meat defrosted by other methods be cooked before refreezing.

Thawing in Cold Water-

Meat can be safely thawed in cold, not hot, water. Be sure to thaw meat in a leak-proof package or bag. Submerge the bag in cold water, changing water every 30 minutes so that is stays cold. It is important to keep the meat out of the food spoilage temperature range of 70° to 100°F.

After defrosting, refrigerate or cook promptly. Unlike meat thawed in the refrigerator, meat thawed by the cold water method should be cooked before re-freezing.

Thawing in the Microwave-

Meat can also be safely thawed in the microwave, although it may be more difficult to retain meat quality, especially if the microwave power is set too high.

Remove store wrap and foam trays before defrosting in the microwave. Thaw on low power so that microwave energy penetrates to the center of the meat. Most microwave ovens have a “thaw” setting and may suggest an amount of time and turn schedule to prevent loss of meat quality. Meat thawed in the microwave should be cooked immediately after thawing.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Food poisoning is not good for anyone and the most at risk groups are the elderly and the very young. For your child's health you have done the right thing.

CharlieD

FWIW, I thaw frozen meat in the fridge, usually overnite for small portions, maybe a couple days for something larger.

Couple of days, I hardly know what I would be doing in an hour, forget about couple of days. You are lucky.

As far as original question I'd rather not give any advise. We've had so many arguments about this on the other board, and there there have never been an unanimous agrement. Personaly (and that is not advise, because I do not eat pork) I bet it is absolutely fine.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
....I deleted this since it was off topic. Sorry...........

Last edited:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I think most of the difference of opinion is between those who have had a bad bout of food poisoning and those that haven't. Personally, I don't think defrosting is a major problem, as long as they are fully defrosted.

Red Hot

Banned
huh??????????????????? color me confused. i don't have the foggiest what that has to do with my question keltin. im new here but it feels like you are dragging in some unwanted prior trash where it does not belong. just my impression. hope there are no hard feelings.

CharlieD

Well, like i said we can argue to no end, ans we'll not agree 100%. To analise situation completely one needs to know exactly how cold was meat to begin with, i.e. for example my freezer is so cold it takes 3 day to defrost chicken in refrigerator, how much meat was there, how cold or hot was in the house, how long it took to defrost, which we obviuosly do not know. Because while the meat was still frozen it couldn't have gotten bad, right, it is only after it was defrosted that we have to worry about.

CharlieD

Keltin, you did not have to delete anything, it was just fine. that is why we are here and not there so we can actually say what we think.

buckytom

Grill Master
i would have gone with what my nose tells me.

if it smelled even the tiniest bit funky after being rinsed off, i'd have chucked it. if not, then cook it well done. but that's only for an adult.

for a kid, never take a chance. they have to build up their resistance slowly, much like i did.

my mom fed us a lot of raw eggs blended into chocloate milk until it was fluffy (aka norwegian milkshake), so today i've gotten away with eating some really dodgy stuff. the worst i ever gotten is some gas and diahrrea.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Problem is not all pathogens have a smell, BT. It is not reliable to just use the smell test.

CharlieD

i might be wrong, so please corect me, but wouldn't patogens be there anyway, even if meat was defrosted proparly. Or let me ask you this question, how long does it take for pathogen bacteria to grow/to form. My english is not working right today. Do you know what I mean?