Pepperoni sticks or summer sauage ???

BigAl

Slim Jims or Pepperoni stick ????
Have you made some ??? How long do they last? Can you freeze em ?

The reason I'm asking is I built a real nice little meat locker on the ranch so we can process our own game during hunting season .It is about 16 x 20 . This has gone over "Very well"
clap.gif
and we now take the money we save paying someone else to do it and add stuff each year to our meat locker operation .
Each year I end up with about $400 bucks to work with .

This next year we will be taking on "paying hunting guest" to stay in the new Apartment above the barn and I would like to add this service of meat processing to make their stay more complete . I figure we will start doing about 15-20 game animals a year .

This does not include the beef cows .bear ,Badgers, tree huggers, or road kill we also get each year .
brows.gif

I already got grinders , meat mixers, tenderizers ,meat tubs , knife sets , wrapping paper . and stainless steel work tables ,etc.
So now I am thinking we want to go into the 'Summer sauage" ,Jerky and SlimJim making operation too . I have a ton of Whitetail deer and Elk Meat to work with . The only thing I have ever done is make jerky and it came out great but never have I tried my hand at Summer sauage or making SlimJim .Might even start making Elk breakfast sauage too
smile.gif

I am thinking I need to buy a dehydrator . What about a vaccum sealer ?? Can that be used to extend the shelf life ???I also need to buy one of those chaulking guns looking things to shoot the meat into the casings after we get it seasoned and ready load the casings
ermm.gif
?????????????

Have you done this ? Can you share your experiences and do's and don'ts ?
flowers.gif

MUCHO APPRECIATO!!!!!!!!

KKsMom

Blond Member
I have never done any of things you mentioned... however, I do love slim jims!!! I also love deer jerkey. Sorry, that's the best I can do to contribute to this thread :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've made my own sausage for years now. I use a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (real old one too) with a meat grinder sausage stuffer attachments. However in your case I would suggest a dedicated meat grinder and sausage stuffer. Keep in mind that casings can be hard to come buy in some instances. I've been getting mine over the last few years from http://www.sausagemaker.com/ with good results. As for the jerky or slim jims I can't help much. I do have a dehydrator I use mostly for spices and peppers, it does come with several recipes for making jerky as well as season packs. I've just never tried it as I'm not a fan of either.

Locutus

I've made my own sausage for years now. I use a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer (real old one too) with a meat grinder sausage stuffer attachments. However in your case I would suggest a dedicated meat grinder and sausage stuffer. Keep in mind that casings can be hard to come buy in some instances. I've been getting mine over the last few years from http://www.sausagemaker.com/ with good results. As for the jerky or slim jims I can't help much. I do have a dehydrator I use mostly for spices and peppers, it does come with several recipes for making jerky as well as season packs. I've just never tried it as I'm not a fan of either.

+1 on sausagemaker.com. Good folks to do business with.

I also use a "Harvest Maid" dehydrator for fruit, veggies and jerky.

Hint: IME, ground meat makes the best jerky by far. Easier on the teeth, and much easier and more consistent to season and dry. The seasoning is more uniform, and so is the drying.

Nica

icon7.gif
Pepperoni sticks or summer sauage ???

Can't help you much with your questions, but it sounds like your going to have a REALLY slick operation! :chef:

Good luck.
icon14.gif

waybomb

If pepperoni or Summer is made correctly, the shelf life in a vacuum bag with a O2 barrier should be in the 9-12 month range.

I've seen summer go two years, but the spices become weak.

Your pH of the finished should should be around 4.7, for peeperoni less than 4.6.

Your moisture/protein level on summer should be less that 3.1 to be legal summer, and 2.9 is much better.

Pepperoni moisture protein should be 1.6:1 or less.

If you aren't reaching these numbers, your proces is flawed and will most likely get sick from eating the product sooner or later.

Don't freeze it. You'll tear apart the binding of the meat, and will not have good mouthfeel.

BigAl

OK !!! I did it . Boy is it good . They came out great . All the pepperoni sticks are done ate and the first roll of Summer Sausage is half gone too . I learned a lot . I did not know about the not Freezing thing as Waybomb mentioned . I have the other one in the freezer . The directions told me to put it there for longer storage:unsure: !

Attachments

• sausage 001.jpg
    sausage 001.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 697
  • sausage 002.jpg
    sausage 002.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 676