Dutch Ovens

RNE228

Here is some background I have found useful for finding a dutch oven, caring for it, and cooking.

First off, I have found Byron's Dutch Oven page to be a great resource. Although I have other cookbooks, I frequently refer to his site for recipes, tips, and hints. There are other sites too; I just have found this one particularily useful:
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

I like the Lodge dutch ovens. They seem to be of pretty good quality, and have a good variety. The cast iron is not too porous, and is of consistent thickness. I have seen and used cheaper brands, which worked, but had hot spots from thin castings.

The other thing that sells me on the Lodge ovens, is we have six of them in our Scout Troop. They have held up very well to the use and abuse of 10-16 year olds cooking in them:thumb:

A 12" oven is the most common; I have one, and the ones I have seen in our Scout Troop and others are 12". Most recipes are for a 12" oven. I would also note that the shallow 12" is the one I have always seen. you can get a deep or shallow oven, depending on what you want to cook.

I use my ovens for everything. However, some folks like to have an oven for meats and one for breads/deserts.

Here is some info on looking for a Dutch oven:
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-intro.htm

My dutch oven, and the ones for our Troop, were all bought at Wal Mart for about $35/ea. Wal Mart only carries the 12" oven. I have found other sizes at specialty stores, like Placerville Hardware. You'll note from the link above, there are actually a number of sizes available. I like the 12" oven for family use, because I can cook a good one pot meal for my wife, son and I. for more, i would consider a 14" oven.

when it gets time to cook, I have found, and various cookbooks and web sites also recomend, to use regular Kingsford briquettes. They give the most consistent heat for the longest time. I have used coals from acampfire too, but it is hard to judge temperatures, and you can get hot/cool spots.

One of the biggest things I have found that makes a good cooking expierience, is to season the oven well, and then take care in the cooking and cleaning process. My personal dutch oven is weel seasoned from the initial seasoning, and a couple years of frequent use. Some of our Scouts have burnt stuff, or scrubbed the oven too hard or with a scour pad, and have had to re-season ovens. Cast iron, if taken care of, will last for generations.

Stussy's_Angel

Ohh... this makes me was to go camping even more! For x-mas my parents got DH and I a complete cast iron camping set including a griddle and dutch oven!

We also have a glazed stovetop dutch over that rocks. Actually it's just like all the ones you see on Food Network that looks kind of like this

Stussy's_Angel

We use ours frequently:)

Sometimes, we'll place the D.O. and charcoal in a large foil Turkey pan(like for roasting turkey's). Other times, we put it in our metal fire bowl(patio fire set) :thumb:

Never thought about that... heck, we could probably stick it in our charcoal grill!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very good post. Lots of good info on dutch ovens. Good job. Rep points for you. :D

Locutus

A good way to cook with a D.O. in the field is to dig a hole, place a few inches of lit charcoal in the hole, D.O. on top of the coals, then shovel enough coals onto the lid to cover it, then cover the whole mess with a few inches of dirt.

Go do whatever it is you need to get done, and in an hour or two, your stew/roast/soup/whatever is done. :smile:

Doesn't work on quick breads, cornbreads, cobbler or other "quick cooking" stuff though! :sorry: