New Smoker - what to smoke????

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I got a smoker yesterday, put it together this morning and seasoned it. I'm dying to smoke something. I'm here alone and am leaving town Friday morning for a few days so I want to smoke something that I can consume in the next couple of days.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Smoker01.JPG
    Smoker01.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Smoker02.JPG
    Smoker02.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 163
K

Kimchee

Gosh, kid with new toy, dying to play!

I SO UNDERSTAND!!!

Hmmm.... hmmm.... wow, that is kind of a tough decision.. hmmm...

Lefty

Yank
Pork but or sshoulder. BBQ pulled pork sammies and freeze the leftyovers. It may come out so good you may pack some for your trip.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with Lefty on this as pork butt is about the easiest to do for starters and it keeps good as pulled pork sandwiches. Pick a good dry rub and let it sit a few hours to over night in the fridge. Then coat it with yellow mustard into the smoker with almost any wood you like (I like hickory for this but have also used JD wood blend). Once done and pulled a part you can mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce if you like.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Pork but or sshoulder. BBQ pulled pork sammies and freeze the leftyovers. It may come out so good you may pack some for your trip.

I agree with Lefty on this as pork butt is about the easiest to do for starters and it keeps good as pulled pork sandwiches. Pick a good dry rub and let it sit a few hours to over night in the fridge. Then coat it with yellow mustard into the smoker with almost any wood you like (I like hickory for this but have also used JD wood blend). Once done and pulled a part you can mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce if you like.

I'm off to Sam's for a pork butt and some ribs. I can eat the ribs tonight and smoke the butt tomorrow.

Thanks guys...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ribs are always good too even when made in a plain old oven.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
By the way Buzz you might look at the round smoker covers for one that will fit over this one. Mine is a bit taller than yours but I found a square one to fit over mine all the way down to the floor.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was about to suggest smoking some babyback ribs, but also, how about a turkey? He can put a few in that bad boy!! No more going to the smokehouse to buy BBQ!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
By the way Buzz you might look at the round smoker covers for one that will fit over this one. Mine is a bit taller than yours but I found a square one to fit over mine all the way down to the floor.

I saw several covers at Home Depot. I'll make that a project for tomorrow - a boy has to keep busy ya know.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All I did was measure the top of mine and the height as they are usually marked in sizes. I was going to buy a bullet type but found a square one instead though a bit longer than I needed it still is working fine.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Ribs are good and easy. Don't trust the built in thermometer.

I checked it with boiling water and it was right on the money. I also have a Maverick ET-73 dual probe that I'll be using.

+1 on the ribs. Plus, they're small enough to fit a few in your pocket for your trip. :mrgreen:

Airport security would tag me for trying to sneak body parts on board. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My built in thermometer is also pretty close with in a couple of degrees either up or down. Oven temperature isn't going to make a great deal of difference if only ± 2 degrees especially if one is using a meat thermometer as the internal temperature of the meat is what counts in the end.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I checked it with boiling water and it was right on the money. I also have a Maverick ET-73 dual probe that I'll be using.

So did I. I can't prove it, but I think there is a column of hot air that rises from the chip pan, through the center of the smoker, and out the vent. The built in thermometer is attached to the door, so it stays cooler. You should be fine with your probe thermometer. Let us know if there is a significant difference.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
So did I. I can't prove it, but I think there is a column of hot air that rises from the chip pan, through the center of the smoker, and out the vent. The built in thermometer is attached to the door, so it stays cooler. You should be fine with your probe thermometer. Let us know if there is a significant difference.

I'll do that. I've already checked both probes with boiling water and they are right on the money, just like the thermometer on the door. I'll place the smoker temp probe towards the back of the smoker, away from the door mounted thermo.

Shermie

Site Supporter
When you get back you can brine a chicken overnight and smoke it. Fabulous flavor and juicy to boot! Here is my brine recipe and how I do it.

BrinedChicken.jpg

P1010783.jpg

P1010795.jpg

WOW!!

Oh, that looks so delish!! I'm so taken by that! Is that Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce that you used? I'll make my own BBQ sauce though. I love the challenge.

I'm going to try that, but I'll have to cook it in the oven. I can use the cooler with some ice to chill the bird down while it is brining in the Ziploc bag!

But I know just how to get those authentic grill marks on the chicken halves. By starting it off on the stovetop grill And I'll have to use liquid smoke to get the smokey taste. I can improves and get the same authentic look and taste. I might try it this weekend! O'll let you all know what happens when I do. :applause: :clap:

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a thought on making an in house smoker. If you have a roasting pan with a rack simply get some of the wood smoking pellets. Now put them into a tin foil pouch and punch some holes in the top of it. Now put that under your rack, place the chicken on the rack and cover completely with tin foil. Put it in the oven and let it go. You can buy oven/stove top smokes as show below but it can be done without the investment and works really well. I own the first one which is by Cameron and is a roaster/smoker. The next one is also by Cameron and just a smoker with the last a cast iron one by Emerilware that I bought for one of my kids. All work pretty good in house. The one I have and the Emerilware run about $100 while the Cameron straight smoker is about $50.

Attachments

• Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    Camerons Multi-Roaster.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 137
  • Cameron Smoker.jpg
    Cameron Smoker.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    Emerilware 4 in 1 smoker.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 141

chowhound

Interesting idea, Joe.
Does the smoke cling to the sides of the oven to impart a smoke taste for subsequent dishes? Can it be fired off with high heat if it does?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have an enameled roaster shaped exactly like the one shown on the left. But not that plate thingy that it's sitting on. I've seen Emeril use both of the other ones.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It really doesn't chow but if by chance it did oven cleaner or a self cleaning oven would remove it pretty easily. The smoke created using my method would stay for the most part in the tin foil rap on covering the meat the same works in these smokers. I always remove mine (Cameron Multi Roaster) from the oven before opening it. Now this will not replace the typical out door smoker but it sure beats the liquid smoke hands down. They also make chips and pellets to work with this so you will want to use that exclusively. Oh and those pellets and chips for them also work well in a standard out door smoker especially the pellets which I've used in a pinch out side.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have an enameled roaster shaped exactly like the one shown on the left. But not that plate thingy that it's sitting on. I've seen Emeril use both of the other ones.

The Emerilware one has a tray inside you put the chips under, then the drip pan food and lid. It is actually heavier than my Cameron which is the 18"W x 6"H x 13"D for the larger side and the lid can also be used as it has the same encapsulated aluminum in stainless as the bottom. It is 2"H with the grates and plates fitting both sides. We use it often as both a roaster or a smoker when to rough to do it outside. It also works well on a standard gas or electric cook top but not on induction due to the 18/10 stainless (non magnetic). The Emerilware one is a bit smaller in size but will work on induction being cast iron. As for the other Cameron, I don't think it will work with an induction cook top either being 18/10 stainless.

phreak

Chuck roast is a good option for a smaller smoke too. Get a good fatty one and it's about as easy as a shoulder/butt smoke. I prefer to only use salt and pepper on chuckies, because the beef seems to absorb so much smoke flavor.